US PhD FRQNT and NSERC scholarships eligibility

Janexkz

Hi all,

I'm starting a phd program in the US this fall and I am exploring FRQNT and NSERC doctoral scholarships opportunities for 2021-2022. My understanding is that you cannot hold both the awards. However, the FRQNT has an exception for students outside of Quebec whose tuition fees are greater or equal than the award itself but must not be covered by other organizations. My tuition fees are higher than the cost of this award but are usually waivered by my university as I hold a TA/RA position. However, I did some research online and from a few LinkedIn profiles it seems that some people were awarded both (although they could have declined it). This is rather unclear and I was wondering if anyone been in that situation and is able to give me some advice?

Thanks.

On 7/8/2020 at 3:18 PM, Janexkz said:

Hi all,

I'm starting a phd program in the US this fall and I am exploring FRQNT and NSERC doctoral scholarships opportunities for 2021-2022. My understanding is that you cannot hold both the awards. However, the FRQNT has an exception for students outside of Quebec whose tuition fees are greater or equal than the award itself but must not be covered by other organizations. My tuition fees are higher than the cost of this award but are usually waivered by my university as I hold a TA/RA position. However, I did some research online and from a few LinkedIn profiles it seems that some people were awarded both (although they could have declined it). This is rather unclear and I was wondering if anyone been in that situation and is able to give me some advice?

Thanks.

I would reach out the FRQ directly because their documents are pretty unclear in general. 

I’m guessing they probably wouldn’t let you hold both scholarships unless you can prove that your tuition isn’t covered. A lot of people get both scholarships and they usually require you to turn it down if you also get tri-council funding. You are permitted to use the FRQNT for a fifth year of funding after the NSERC (4 years) ends, however. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2020 at 7:25 AM, Clinpsyc01 said:

I would reach out the FRQ directly because their documents are pretty unclear in general. 

I’m guessing they probably wouldn’t let you hold both scholarships unless you can prove that your tuition isn’t covered. A lot of people get both scholarships and they usually require you to turn it down if you also get tri-council funding. You are permitted to use the FRQNT for a fifth year of funding after the NSERC (4 years) ends, however. 

Alright thank you for your reply!