Fall 2021 Theater/Performance Studies PhD

DoctorMusical

Joining the Northwestern PS rejection squad!

Also, I forgot to tell you all that the UMD interview went well. They sent out acceptances the same day as the interview (in the evening), and I got in.

@Boxedwine everything everyone has been saying was the same for me too. They asked why I wanted to specifically go to that program, what my potential dissertation topic would be, and also what my teaching philosophy and pedagogy would be--they said it was okay if I didn't have prior teaching experience. They were just looking for a general answer. They also sent these questions ahead of time, which I really appreciated.

Yes, Cornell is lovely dream, but thanks @CaptainHoseok for the update about that program!

Still wishing best of luck to everyone as we wade our way through this process.

4 hours ago, ellohell said:

Just wanted to check in and let everybody know that I’ve called 911 and demanded a wellness check on the CUNY theatre and performance program’s admissions committee.

Lool thank you I also wanted to do this. I was thinking maybe they have a funding issue and I panicked. 

Hi, just jumping in to say that I got an offer from CUNY today. Came in at a really random time, so I was very surprised! But I'm super happy. Waiting on more information from them as far as a start date, funding, etc., but I hope this means that they'll send out all their decisions quite soon? Best of luck!

1 hour ago, jarman99 said:

Hi, just jumping in to say that I got an offer from CUNY today. Came in at a really random time, so I was very surprised! But I'm super happy. Waiting on more information from them as far as a start date, funding, etc., but I hope this means that they'll send out all their decisions quite soon? Best of luck!

Also got an offer, weird timing lol! 

Congrats!

19 hours ago, jarman99 said:

18 hours ago, Lounmou9 said:

Also got an offer, weird timing lol! 

Congrats!

Congrats you two! Did you have interviews with the department?

17 minutes ago, Post-It said:

Congrats you two! Did you have interviews with the department?

Hi! I didn’t interview, but I was in touch with a few professors in the fall, and had a longer call - mainly informational/informal - with one. But i don’t think anyone mentioned an interview from what I can remember. 

3 minutes ago, jarman99 said:

Hi! I didn’t interview, but I was in touch with a few professors in the fall, and had a longer call - mainly informational/informal - with one. But i don’t think anyone mentioned an interview from what I can remember. 

I haven't seen any mentions of interviews here - thanks for the info. And all my best wishes to you!

On 2/18/2021 at 10:41 PM, Boxedwine said:

@ladymatre how is umd funding? Affordable for the area? 

They said that the stipend tends to run around $23,350, but it might vary depending on what gets decided. TBH that is not the best stipend when it comes to cost of living in the area because rent can run super high. I'm in the middle of their admitted students week this week, so when I meet with some current graduate students, I'll be sure to ask them if they feel like they can get by on that amount.

2 hours ago, DoctorMusical said:

Just got an update email from NYU saying they are still reviewing applications and should send out decisions in mid-March. Fingers crossed!

Yes! I got that e-mail too. Fingers crossed.

Hi there! 

Just wanted to check in if anyone heard anything from UCSD? Or knows when they would possibly reach out?

Cause I saw someone posted about doing an interview a while back (also did the interview) and was wondering if whoever posted has heard anything from them since.

(I'm worrying that might have forgotten to send out a rejection letter again, since that happened the last time I applied ?  , which I sure hope it's not the case but the waiting is killing me and I'd rather have some closure) 

Best of luck to everyone and congrats to the ones who have already gotten an acceptance~

The Northwestern PS visit weekend went really well! The interviews were pretty casual, with professors asking more open ended questions to start conversation. The DGS did ask a few more formal questions like “why NU” and “what is the genealogy of your research” etc. It was four back to back thirty minute zoom interviews, which was exhausting but also kind of fun. They were very honest and told us that we all performed really well and it’s going to be a really difficult decision to make, and will probably hinge more on the department’s needs than anything else at this point. Wishing you all the best as you encounter similar experiences! 

22 hours ago, fern2358 said:

Did anyone get accepted to UC Berkeley or UCLA? I’ve noticed a lot of interviews but nothing after. Curious how many ended up with offers to those schools compared to other years.

Idk anything about Berkeley, but UCLA  interviewed 5 finalists at the end of February and will be making 2 offers from that pool.  Not sure how that stacks up to previous years. I know it’s a small program. 

I’ve been holding off on posting my news in case all results hadn’t gone out for the program, but I think I should be good now. I got into Northwestern Performance Studies! I really can’t believe it. I didn’t think anything was going to happen for me this year, because I’m straight out of undergrad (took a gap year) and I went to a not very competitive state school. I also got rejected from literally every single other program I applied to. All this to say that it only takes one! If you haven’t heard back from all your schools yet, don’t lose hope. 

@sadficus CONGRATS!!! That is so amazing -- although I'm not surprised, everyone's research seemed so interesting during the visit. I did recieve a rejection from DGS post-visit, but that's okay! Life goes on. :) 

A question for folks that applied to NYU PhD -- someone posted on the results page that an MA application was added to their Tisch application portal. Is this true for other people as well?

Edited by PSward13

2 hours ago, PSward13 said:

@sadficus CONGRATS!!! That is so amazing -- although I'm not surprised, everyone's research seemed so interesting during the visit. I did recieve a rejection from DGS post-visit, but that's okay! Life goes on. :) 

A question for folks that applied to NYU PhD -- someone posted on the results page that an MA application was added to their Tisch application portal. Is this true for other people as well?

The MA application is likely related to the question on the PhD application “If not admitted into the PhD program, would you like to be considered for the MA program as well?” I assume it likely means rejection from the PhD program, but potentially a MA offer.

I personally only applied to the MA program and am hoping for some news any day now.