Where to Publish for the First Time + Book Reviews?

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this academic game and publishing. I am currently a Master's student and I would like to get something published (Ideally, just a book review). 

However, I do not know where to start? Or how to get accepted because I currently have zero publications.

Is this fine? Do I still submit my papers? Furthermore, I am interested in writing book reviews for a few publications, but once again, I don't have any real writing out there as of yet. 

How do I get started and what is the proper etiquette for reaching out to write book reviews (do I need to have a writing sample on hand?)? 

(Apologies for the 20 questions, I would appreciate any feedback or insight!) 

Edited by fossati

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a paper related to political psychology and communication, but it has 170 pages (single-spaced and TNR 12). Do you have recommendations on where I should submit it? A program at UT of Austin requires the submission of research papers, and I hope it gets published before submission.

Edited by Dann

7 hours ago, Dann said:

Hi, I have a paper related to political psychology and communication, but it has 170 pages (single-spaced and TNR 12). Do you have recommendations on where I should submit it? A program at UT of Austin requires the submission of research papers, and I hope it gets published before submission.

Journals will not publish 170 pages. You will need to cut it down to about 25-30 max with references and tables/figures. 

12 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Journals will not publish 170 pages. You will need to cut it down to about 25-30 max with references and tables/figures. 

Hi! Thank you for answering me. I know... I wanted it to be a book, I have seen a whole thesis published by Routledge, but I do not think a publishing house like that would notice me. I am just in a university in SEA. 

Can I submit several parts of it instead? My thesis can be divided into several parts, each with conclusion.   

I think what I should do now is to practice trimming my papers. My adviser allowed me with that length and gave me 4.0 for it, but we actually have a maximum of 9,000 words excluding the references... Now my question is about what reviewers of GS applications would think about my researches... 

Edited by Dann

On 8/10/2020 at 10:47 PM, Dann said:

Hi! Thank you for answering me. I know... I wanted it to be a book, I have seen a whole thesis published by Routledge, but I do not think a publishing house like that would notice me. I am just in a university in SEA. 

Can I submit several parts of it instead? My thesis can be divided into several parts, each with conclusion.   

I think what I should do now is to practice trimming my papers. My adviser allowed me with that length and gave me 4.0 for it, but we actually have a maximum of 9,000 words excluding the references... Now my question is about what reviewers of GS applications would think about my researches... 

1. I'd say it's generally a bad idea to publish a book before you have your Ph.D.

2. Getting a good grade on something doesn't necessarily mean the professor thinks it should be published.

3. For many (most?) fields it's not necessary to have any publications to get admitted to a good Ph.D. program.

4. At this stage of your career, all publication decisions should be made in close coordination with a knowledgeable and sympathetic advisor (random people on internet message boards don't count).

• 2 weeks later...

My Ph.D. advisor suggested I work on a book review with her during my first semester. She offered me first author, which was very gracious.

From what I understand, journals are often seeking people out to write book reviews. Since they're lower-hanging fruit than book chapters or journal articles, they're not what everyone goes after. There's a bit of a demand problem: lots of opportunities, not enough people wanting to take them.