Low GPA for SLP Master Program

katchula

Question

Hello everyone! So I'm currently completing my pre requisite courses to gain entrance into a SLP masters programs in my state. I graduated with a 2.57 GPA and it seems as though so far its all 3.0 GPA cut off. I'm completing 11 courses from USU that will transfer to these programs. So far I've gotten B+, while working full time and taking care of family during these moments. I wanted to write this and hear from others out there who have been in similar situations and what you decided to do. I am willing to put in the work to reach the criteria but is it a realistic goal for me to have? Did it work out for anyone out there?

I am committed to becoming an SLP but I am also realistic.

Thanks guys,

4 answers to this question

My undergrad GPA was a 3.0 only because I switched from bio to psych and took up a minor. I was afraid my post bacc GPA (3.4) wouldn’t be enough to get me into colleges and it was. Why? One of the professors who did my admissions interview said that they saw growth from my bio days to my CSD days and could tell I had found my passion because I had consistently been doing better. I applied to schools who wanted higher undergrad GPAs too and got in. I’d say keep pushing through and working on those speech courses. When applying to schools search broadly and know you can get in. I got into programs I though I wouldn’t and rejected from those I knew I’d get into. 

4 hours ago, SLPending said:

@Cece93 Which schools did you apply to, if you don't mind sharing?

I applied to a lot of schools that I honestly can’t remember them all. The ones I applied and go into are LIU Brooklyn, suny Plattsburgh, Buffalo state college, Iona, and one I can’t remember. I was rejected from saint john’s university, queens college, Brooklyn college,  the university of Rhode Island and one in New Jersey I believe . I was waitlisted at the university of Redlands, western Carolina university and a small school in Pennsylvania that was supposed to be an “easier” program to get into. 

When trying to increase your GPA, take a step back and ask yourself, realistically, what is holding you back from achieving the grades you desire? Often it is putting too much on your plate for fear that you won’t graduate ‘on time’. If taking 1 class in your busy life is all you can handle, do that.  Once you finish your prerequisites there is no viable way for you to change your GPA. So now is the time for you to slow down to do your best to achieve your goal. You don’t have to keep up with anyone else, this is all about you. I postponed my acceptance when I transferred for my bachelors because I was diagnosed with cancer. I still deal with the effects of chemo brain on top of my lifelong learning disability.  But by slowing down, I have steadily increased my GPA and the last 10 classes I took I got straight A’s in. You will get there, you just have to take that pressure off of yourself and find the balance that works for you.  

Also, your personal statement/letter of intent gives you the opportunity to explain your situation.  Don’t make excuses, just explain...”while working, parenting, and going to school I struggled to find the proper balance to do my best academically.  I have learned better time management skills as demonstrated by my recent coursework and much-improved grades indicative of my dedication to becoming a speech language pathologist”.  

Best wishes!

Edited by Dannemarie