Programs with funding issues to avoid

UndergradDad

Thought I’d start a thread here regarding Phd programs to avoid due to either low funding or recent issues or concerns about future funding due to Covid.

I’ll start with one I have heard has poor funding-the New School (on the Continental end of the spectrum).

Offer up any others and any comments that might apply to help prospective applicants narrow their searches.

I feel bad about this, because obviously it is rarely if ever the fault of the faculty. However, as far as M.A. programs go, I was told that CSU LA's GAships have been drying up in recent years. I chose not to attend, but it is obviously one of the very rare M.A. programs that covers the standard fare and someone like Deleuze so prospective students might want to ask about this development.

• 4 months later...

NSSR has never fully funded its grad students, so avoid them.

Also: do take the time to talk to grad students who are pretty far into a program. They will have a better idea of the funding challenges than those who are still in the first four years. The funding picture at many institutions sounds a lot better than it in fact is.