U of Washington - EdSLP, CoreSLP

I emailed the admissions office at U of Washington and they said that they are changing their curriculum to offer EdSLP, CoreSLP, and MedSLP. I want to apply to their CoreSLP program, but they are making it a research-focused program. I asked if I can apply to the CoreSLP program this year (for the Fall 2021 cycle), but they said they will only open apps for CoreSLP starting Fall 2022 cycle, and instead encouraged me to apply to EdSLP (more school-based) and MedSLP programs.

Does anyone know about this change? If I don't want to specialize in Educational or Medical SLP, should I not apply at all since they are not offering...? (I'm super interested in working in clinical faculties, and want to enter Fall 2021)

I’d say if the program isn’t giving you what you want than apply to different schools. I think it’s great that some schools have specialized focuses but I’ve been told so many times that grad school changes where you thought you’d might like to work. You don’t seem to want to do medical or educational. Would you be fine with doing a research focused program? Why do you want to go to U of Washington? If they aren’t clicking any of your wants then maybe it’s not the right school for you.

@Cece93 Thank you for this reply! I agree with you a lot. I actually am interested in a research focused program, but U of Wash isn't offering their program til Autumn 2022 and I want to apply for Fall 2021 cycle. I originally wanted to attend this program bc of their CoreSLP program, which had a broad range of clinical focus, so a highly specialized program like Medical or. Educational SLP doesn't attract me too well.

I think I'll attend their online info sessions and find out more info there!!

On 8/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, poppy1 said:

@Cece93 Thank you for this reply! I agree with you a lot. I actually am interested in a research focused program, but U of Wash isn't offering their program til Autumn 2022 and I want to apply for Fall 2021 cycle. I originally wanted to attend this program bc of their CoreSLP program, which had a broad range of clinical focus, so a highly specialized program like Medical or. Educational SLP doesn't attract me too well.

I think I'll attend their online info sessions and find out more info there!!

Ahh ok! Do you know why they aren’t doing their core program until 2022? Could it be because of covid and the lack of in person clinicals? My clinicals this year are online. We mostly do it on stimucase and we have one actual client over teletherapy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey so sorry to hear the core program wont be available till 2022. I am also looking into Washington. However, I want to focus on the medSLP program. I'm not sure if you have looked into Boston University. Boston University has a really cool option where you can apply to do your Masters and PhD simultaneously. Most PhD programs are research intensive so I would definitely check that out.