Wagner MPA vs. MBA (Nonprofit Management)

switters

How would the MPA from somewhere like Wagner compare to a lower ranked MBA program like Tepper/McCombs for nonprofit management placement in NYC or nationwide? Consider that I have a decent finance background already.

Edited by switters
Word choice

Wagner is well respected and known within NYC nonprofits and government. You can take a look at their outcomes page to see whether graduates have gone afterwards. I’m not familiar with the other programs that you mentioned. 

I’ve many friends and colleagues who had good experiences at Wagner and then went on to interesting jobs in nonprofits and government. 

50 minutes ago, Boolakanaka said:

If you are considering a MBA for non-profit management then Yale SOM is the premier school. In fact, it wasn’t a mba program until the late 1980s.

Definitely applying to Yale. I ask about lower ranked schools in case I don't get in. 

1 hour ago, switters said:

Definitely applying to Yale. I ask about lower ranked schools in case I don't get in. 

It isn't about how well branded they are as long as you considering a top 30 school. It is about relevant alumni network + programming. If there are noticeable alums (# and level) in the Non-Profit / Social Impact space that works to your advantage. Also, if there is programming that supports non-profit and social impact learning + career paths, that also helps. Also please understand where an MBA helps and hurts.

MBA gives you access to Non-Profit management from a portfolio and operations perspective. However, from an issues angle, the advocacy folks (unless it is very business issue oriented non-profit) will look at you with a level of suspicion. Lots of exceptions, but that is historically the case.

Also please understand that getting into an MBA is much more difficult than an MPP/MPA - especially since applications for MBAs have already risen for this coming cycle. They might be less of stickler for GPA, but they will care more about your work experience and social skills. Almost all leading MBAs require an interview and a bad interview (or pre-interview submissions) can eliminate you.

Wagner does have a really good reputation with non-profits in NYC, but you will likely be slated for more of analysis / programming role.  know people that get promoted to a leadership role down the line.

1 hour ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

MBA gives you access to Non-Profit management from a portfolio and operations perspective. However, from an issues angle, the advocacy folks (unless it is very business issue oriented non-profit) will look at you with a level of suspicion. Lots of exceptions, but that is historically the case.

I've been a volunteer member of a Latino operated non-profit for the past 5+ years (I'm Puerto Rican). I also own and operate a small real estate investment business that provides some affordable housing. I joined the last company I worked at because of their values orientation. My current experience is working on campaigns that have been fighting for income equality. Would this be enough?

Edited by switters

16 minutes ago, switters said:

I've been a volunteer member of a Latino operated non-profit for the past 5+ years (I'm Puerto Rican). I also own and operate a small real estate investment business that provides some affordable housing. I joined the last company I worked at because of their values orientation. My current experience is working on campaigns that have been fighting for income equality. Would this be enough?

I think you misunderstood my previous comment. From the perspective of a Non-Profit community, obviously your past matters in terms of getting hired. I'm just highlighting that the advocacy and programming people traditionally will see the MBA grads (no matter where they come from) as strategy and finance folks - somewhat divorced with the issues at hand. I saw this in the education Non-Profit space whereby leaders were almost all former teachers, but since they got their MBAs and worked at consulting firms, they were viewed as part of the machine.

Yes, that should be fine in terms of work experience to be competitive for an MBA, and you would be eligible for minority focused scholarships via MBA.  However, like I said, the difference between MPA and MBA is that it is more than how shiny your resume is. It is about how you can coherently communicate and explain why an MBA is the right path for you. There are plenty of people who had a shiny resume rejected from an MBA program for failing interviews. 

Just now, GradSchoolGrad said:

I think you misunderstood my previous comment. From the perspective of a Non-Profit community, obviously your past matters in terms of getting hired. I'm just highlighting that the advocacy and programming people traditionally will see the MBA grads (no matter where they come from) as strategy and finance folks - somewhat divorced with the issues at hand. I saw this in the education Non-Profit space whereby leaders were almost all former teachers, but since they got their MBAs and worked at consulting firms, they were viewed as part of the machine.

Yes, that should be fine in terms of work experience to be competitive for an MBA, and you would be eligible for minority focused scholarships via MBA.  However, like I said, the difference between MPA and MBA is that it is more than how shiny your resume is. It is about how you can coherently communicate and explain why an MBA is the right path for you. There are plenty of people who had a shiny resume rejected from an MBA program for failing interviews. 

I see. Thanks for the clarification!