French PhD 2021

DeNovo

18 hours ago, LOiseauRouge said:

Hi guys, I'm a second year in NYU's French Lit program. Saw my FB grad groups going crazy waiting for results and thought I'd drop in here! Hope this admissions season is treating you as well as admissions season can!

Hello l'Oiseau rouge,

Thanks for joining!

How do you like your experience at NYU? It really seems like a great environment (so dynamic, with La Maison française, the IFS and NYU Paris). 

I have some encouraging signs from CUNY, but I am starting to loose hope for NYU. I was interviewed on Feb 2nd, and no news yet. Everything seems different because of the pandemics, but still, this delay becomes meaningful.

Ayayaye, I am so anxious. Good luck to all. 

Hi @lalali! I've really enjoyed my experience at NYU so far. There are tons of opportunities for professional development as well, whether it be in academia or looking at things outside of academia which has been nice. I do miss the in person events at La Maison and the dinners afterwards with the speakers and profs from the department! I would think you should hear back soon from NYU (can't speak to the current timeline but I heard back a week or two after interviewing two years ago and our MAC days should be sometime in early March). 

Hi all! I have a virtual campus visit coming up, and I will be chatting with a few current grad students and then 3-4 professors. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the kinds of questions I should be asking? I'm confident in what I'll ask/discuss related to my research and all that, but I don't want to miss an opportunity to get as much info as possible about the program simply because I didn't think to ask! 

Thanks in advance :)

I am new on this thread.  I wish I had read it earlier, as it is greatly helping me to understand ce qui se passe.  I applied to Berkeley, and got turned down.  I got accepted at Indiana University Bloomington  (French Linguistics) - still awaiting funding information.  I applied to UC Davis (French Linguistics), and did not make the first round of admissions.  I also applied to UT Austin for French Linguistics, and have not yet heard a word.  

Colorado University in Boulder has a note on their website for applicants to the French graduate program that there will be no funding available. 

Has anyone heard anything from UT Austin?

Hi guys !

I have received last Saturday an email from UVA's DGS informing me that they had accepted my application. I am very excited. I do not know whether they are going to accept other PhD students this academic year, but if they do please feel free to send me a private message, I'd love to know who else was accepted and with whom I will have the opportunity to study.

Best of luck to everyone

Edited by ronronpatachon

Does anyone know anything about University of Wisconsin-Madison (besides the funding is terrible, which I'm sure is true)?
I had already assumed they dropped off the planet, but I got an email today saying I was recommended for admission (without having talked to anyone there)

2 hours ago, brewing said:

Does anyone know anything about University of Wisconsin-Madison (besides the funding is terrible, which I'm sure is true)?
I had already assumed they dropped off the planet, but I got an email today saying I was recommended for admission (without having talked to anyone there)

Hi ! I have also received a similar email by the same University. I too was a bit confused by the "recommended for admission" (what is that supposed to mean?). I politely turned down their offer because I was made an offer by UVA, hopefully that might help if you're interested in the program ? 

To be honest, I applied there without knowing to much about the French Department... I have read online that their French Program is pretty good, but yes, I have also been told here that the funding is meh. 

Sorry for not being more helpful... 

Edited by ronronpatachon

Also, a random question—does anyone else find it interesting that the professors, in the interviews often go to tutoiement directly? I always say "vous" back to them, but is this awkward? Should you just try to avoid saying "you" altogether? I am not French, so sorry if this is obvious...

2 hours ago, brewing said:

Also, a random question—does anyone else find it interesting that the professors, in the interviews often go to tutoiement directly? I always say "vous" back to them, but is this awkward? Should you just try to avoid saying "you" altogether? I am not French, so sorry if this is obvious...

Hi ! Finally something I can answer, I think. To be honest, as a French person, when I have been called "tu" by a Professor, I generally only adress them as "vous" anyway (because they are your superior they can call you "tu", but because you are a humble student it is preferable to use "vous"). In my opinion, I would only use "vous", even when being adressed "tu". It avoids sounding too familiar. 

I just had several virtual visit events with IU-Bloomington's French Linguistics program (already accepted), but am still waiting to see on a funding offer. All they keep telling me is that they aren't in a position yet, but that that could certainly change "in the coming days.". Which the DGS said that Monday when they emailed me to set up the virtual visit. I have yet to ask about what's going on with funding, but am getting rather anxious because the more I learn about this school and get to know the faculty and students the more I can see myself calling it home and getting my degree there. 

Do you all think it would be worth an email to the DGS (who I was told to contact if I had any questions) and inquire about funding? If so, should I mention that basically I'm going there if I'm fully funded? It's literally my dream school, but finances are the issue otherwise I would've accepted already.

1 hour ago, kso1634 said:

I just had several virtual visit events with IU-Bloomington's French Linguistics program (already accepted), but am still waiting to see on a funding offer. All they keep telling me is that they aren't in a position yet, but that that could certainly change "in the coming days.". Which the DGS said that Monday when they emailed me to set up the virtual visit. I have yet to ask about what's going on with funding, but am getting rather anxious because the more I learn about this school and get to know the faculty and students the more I can see myself calling it home and getting my degree there. 

Do you all think it would be worth an email to the DGS (who I was told to contact if I had any questions) and inquire about funding? If so, should I mention that basically I'm going there if I'm fully funded? It's literally my dream school, but finances are the issue otherwise I would've accepted already.

I think you could definitely email the DGS- you can add on that you're very interested in the program which is why you wanted to know if there's an update on the funding process. Usually they're very forthcoming to accepted students, since they want you to join them. 

Speaking of contacting the DGS...I contacted Illinois UC to ask for an update on my status, because it's been radio silence since I submitted my application, and I have another offer on the table that I'm keen on accepting. And wouldn't you know it, he asked to meet with me next week on zoom....He mentioned the process was difficult this year because of budget constraints etc., so it's been taking longer than usual. Now I'm even more torn hahaha. I was almost hoping he'd say I was waitlisted or rejected so I could go ahead and accept my other offer but now who knows what he'll say.

Could anyone compare Illinois UC to Chapel Hill? UNC CH has accepted me to their PhD program, but the stipend isn't competitive at all (15,700k). Everything is paid for, so nothing would have to come out of that money except taxes but damn if that ain't some crumbs lol. BUT, it's in-state for me and would be an easy move and I've always loved that school. I just don't know how well it compares to Illinois UC, if I were to get an offer from them.

Glad to know your visit with IU Bloomington went so well.  I hesitate to contact the DGS again, because I do not want to get on anyone's nerves and do not want to come across as a money-grubber. 

I am waiting to hear about a virtual visit.  When I do have mine, I will wait to see if they bring up the funding issue.

For what it is worth, check this out: Department of French and Italian - Indiana University Bloomington - Graduate Programs and Degrees (petersons.com) 

For the entire Department of French and Italian (not just French linguistics), for whatever year Peterson's had data, there were 28 applicants.  Of those, 20 accepted, and 7 enrolled. 

If those statistics hold, you and I have a good shot at funding!

I hope that helps.

18 hours ago, Beeba said:

Could anyone compare Illinois UC to Chapel Hill? UNC CH has accepted me to their PhD program, but the stipend isn't competitive at all (15,700k). Everything is paid for, so nothing would have to come out of that money except taxes but damn if that ain't some crumbs lol. BUT, it's in-state for me and would be an easy move and I've always loved that school. I just don't know how well it compares to Illinois UC, if I were to get an offer from them.

Disclaimer: My background is in Italian, not French. I don't know a ton about UNC but I did apply there. I went to UIUC as an undergrad and studied Italian in the FRIT dept. I don't know the French profs, but I know Rushing who is Ital/CL prof who does some work on French. He is amazing, btw.

Anyway, info that could be useful for you:

Funding can be hit or miss. They really don't have money. I applied to a PhD in Italian this year at UIUC and one of my profs emailed me right away to say "Apply to FLAS... there is too much uncertainty with COVID." It's a little late to apply to FLAS for next year, but that might be a source of funding for you in the future. Also, if you're coming in with a MA and starting the PhD, not starting with the master's you should be able to have more funding. It's those master's years that are the least secure. Also, be prepared to teach/TA French language classes. TAing is how you'll be funded. I've heard talk of the language profs wanting to get students in the habit of applying to fellowships externally, but it hasn't been done often historically. That might change.

Also, it seems summers are not funded and there aren't tons of opportunities. You might make a little money for teaching in the 3 week FLIP program. I know many of the Italian native of the program just go back to Italy for the summer. 

The FRIT department is fairly close in terms of grad students - lots of beautiful friendships and support. They certainly have a lot of fun. ?

Outside of the program, UC is a wonderful place. Very cute, extremely diverse for a rural location, and "micro-urban." Cost of living is DIRT cheap. It really is an affordable place to live. There are trains and busses to Chicago so it's easy to get there without a car. Getting around the UC area is easy by bus, walking, or biking. Everything is very close.

Edited by Liquirizia

20 hours ago, kso1634 said:

Glad your visit went well!  I think in many cases they are waiting to see which students will be offered a department fellowship of some kind (one that would, for example, limit teaching requirements in the first year) or a small 'top up' from various sources. These funding sources can be university-wide funds, which means it can take a bit longer to get it sorted. Once they decide how they will allocate funds, then individual funding information can go out. 

I would wait to email the DGS until about a week after your virtual visit (I know it will seem like forever!!), thank the DGS for setting up the visit, reiterate your interest in the program as your top choice, and ask about funding. Just my two cents :) 

16 hours ago, Liquirizia said:

Disclaimer: My background is in Italian, not French. I don't know a ton about UNC but I did apply there. I went to UIUC as an undergrad and studied Italian in the FRIT dept. I don't know the French profs, but I know Rushing who is Ital/CL prof who does some work on French. He is amazing, btw.

Anyway, info that could be useful for you:

Funding can be hit or miss. They really don't have money. I applied to a PhD in Italian this year at UIUC and one of my profs emailed me right away to say "Apply to FLAS... there is too much uncertainty with COVID." It's a little late to apply to FLAS for next year, but that might be a source of funding for you in the future. Also, if you're coming in with a MA and starting the PhD, not starting with the master's you should be able to have more funding. It's those master's years that are the least secure. Also, be prepared to teach/TA French language classes. TAing is how you'll be funded. I've heard talk of the language profs wanting to get students in the habit of applying to fellowships externally, but it hasn't been done often historically. That might change.

Also, it seems summers are not funded and there aren't tons of opportunities. You might make a little money for teaching in the 3 week FLIP program. I know many of the Italian native of the program just go back to Italy for the summer. 

The FRIT department is fairly close in terms of grad students - lots of beautiful friendships and support. They certainly have a lot of fun. ?

Outside of the program, UC is a wonderful place. Very cute, extremely diverse for a rural location, and "micro-urban." Cost of living is DIRT cheap. It really is an affordable place to live. There are trains and busses to Chicago so it's easy to get there without a car. Getting around the UC area is easy by bus, walking, or biking. Everything is very close.

Wow, thanks for the lengthy response! I really appreciate it. And thanks for the tip about FLAS, I had no idea about external funding stuff like this.

Unfortunately I don't have my masters yet, which is one reason the stipend at UNC is so low- during my first two years I can only teach 2 courses per year, but after I get my "shadow Masters" finished, I could teach a third course and bump the stipend up to 20k. 

Good to know about cost of living, too. They claim to be really affordable in COL....but Chapel Hill prices have really just been going up and up, it seems anyone who lives in the actual campus area is usually richer undergrads whose parents pay for apartments or wealthier couples who can afford a house there - I already know if I go to UNC I can't live in Chapel Hill and even some of the closer places a current grad recommended are too much for renting on my first-year budget. 

I'll be interested to see what exactly I learn with the professor on Wednesday- he very well could just be wanting to talk to say they have no funding so I'm waitlisted lol. 

@2021 @gouttedesoleil I'm from the Spanish forum, but I wonder if you've heard from Duke? I sadly got waitlisted but am trying to figure out how many people they extended offers to. It's my dream school, and I'd love to get off the waitlist!! Best of luck to both of you!

5 minutes ago, Anabel said:

@2021 @gouttedesoleil I'm from the Spanish forum, but I wonder if you've heard from Duke? I sadly got waitlisted but am trying to figure out how many people they extended offers to. It's my dream school, and I'd love to get off the waitlist!! Best of luck to both of you!

Hey Anabel! Unfortunately, I'm on the waitlist with you. However, I got another offer from one of my top schools - an offer I wasn't expecting to get, to be perfectly honest. I'm going to take a couple days to reflect, but I think I'm going to end up letting Duke know that I'm going a different direction. I've got my fingers crossed for you and hope that everything works out for you to end up at Duke!

7 hours ago, frenchphd2021 said:

Congrats on Oxford!  I was wondering if you could share what the Oxford interview process was like?

Hi ! To be honest, I do not think it was an "interview" per se. I had contacted the Faculty member I wanted to work with, and she told me during the short Zoom meeting with her (about 15 minutes) that this was for potential PhD thesis supervisor's to meet the PhD candidate. The only real question I was asked was about the funding (if I was going to be able to pay for the tuition fees etc, spoiler: turns out I am not). She told me the Faculty had evaluated my application and they had to write a review of it. I do not think I am answering your question, but really I do not think this was an interview. 

Someone on the forum has been accepted to Cambridge, maybe they could share their exeperience, in case this is a specific Oxford thing ? 

Edited by ronronpatachon

13 hours ago, ronronpatachon said:

Hi ! To be honest, I do not think it was an "interview" per se. I had contacted the Faculty member I wanted to work with, and she told me during the short Zoom meeting with her (about 15 minutes) that this was for potential PhD thesis supervisor's to meet the PhD candidate. The only real question I was asked was about the funding (if I was going to be able to pay for the tuition fees etc, spoiler: turns out I am not). She told me the Faculty had evaluated my application and they had to write a review of it. I do not think I am answering your question, but really I do not think this was an interview. 

Someone on the forum has been accepted to Cambridge, maybe they could share their exeperience, in case this is a specific Oxford thing ? 

Hiya! Like @ronronpatachon I contacted a potential faculty supervisor at Cambridge fairly early in the application process and then about 2-3 weeks or so after I submitted my application, I was contacted by the Cam equivalent of the DGS for French to set up an interview. The interview was scheduled for 20-30 minutes and it was myself, the DGS, and my potential supervisor. The interview was in English, and they asked a lot of thoughtful questions about my proposed research, past research, and future plans. I'd say the interview was about 75% focused on the prospective research though. Basically they are trying to gauge the feasibility of your research (i.e., is it reasonable that you might be able to complete a dissertation on the subject within 3 years) and how they will rank your application for funding purposes. Hope this helps!