Quantitative Public Policy/Research Degrees

kb_sf

Question

Hey there,

I'm curious about y'alls thoughts on degrees like Columbia's QMSS and UChicago's MACSS as compared to programs like UChicago MSCAPP,  and CMU Heinz MSPPM-DA. The classes seem to be really similar between both sets of programs, but I'm getting the sense that QMSS and MACSS are more suited towards people looking to go on to PHDs, does that resonate with current/former students? I'm hoping to attend a program that sets me up to be a practitioner immediately after, and don't intend on pursuing a PHD.

It also seems like the MSCAPP and MSPPM-DA can be encompass more city planning courses (demand modeling, spatial analysis) which is interesting to me. I was considering programs like Upenn MUSA and Northeastern/NYU Urban Informatics, but I'd rather attend a program that contains those planning elements as well as some more research/quant-heavy coursework.

Any thoughts? Mainly, do you all agree that QMSS and MACSS are better suited for those looking for a PHD eventually? Thank you in advance :)

3 answers to this question

On 9/4/2020 at 2:07 PM, kb_sf said:

Hey there,

I'm curious about y'alls thoughts on degrees like Columbia's QMSS and UChicago's MACSS as compared to programs like UChicago MSCAPP,  and CMU Heinz MSPPM-DA. The classes seem to be really similar between both sets of programs, but I'm getting the sense that QMSS and MACSS are more suited towards people looking to go on to PHDs, does that resonate with current/former students? I'm hoping to attend a program that sets me up to be a practitioner immediately after, and don't intend on pursuing a PHD.

It also seems like the MSCAPP and MSPPM-DA can be encompass more city planning courses (demand modeling, spatial analysis) which is interesting to me. I was considering programs like Upenn MUSA and Northeastern/NYU Urban Informatics, but I'd rather attend a program that contains those planning elements as well as some more research/quant-heavy coursework.

Any thoughts? Mainly, do you all agree that QMSS and MACSS are better suited for those looking for a PHD eventually? Thank you in advance :)

Hey-- I am a current MSCAPP student. First off, if you are looking for a program that is more geared towards a non-academic career, then MSCAPP and MSPPM-DA are far better choices than QMSS and MACSS. In fact programs like MACSS, MAPSS, QMSS, are marketed as PhD "prep" programs. 

I think if you'd like broader training and flexibility in policy studies, but also interested in spatial analysis, I think that MSCAPP and MSPPM-DA are pretty superior to those other programs. But, if you are looking for a more focused program in urban planning then I don't think those are the programs for you. 

On 9/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, Mr. Jameson said:

Hey-- I am a current MSCAPP student. First off, if you are looking for a program that is more geared towards a non-academic career, then MSCAPP and MSPPM-DA are far better choices than QMSS and MACSS. In fact programs like MACSS, MAPSS, QMSS, are marketed as PhD "prep" programs. 

I think if you'd like broader training and flexibility in policy studies, but also interested in spatial analysis, I think that MSCAPP and MSPPM-DA are pretty superior to those other programs. But, if you are looking for a more focused program in urban planning then I don't think those are the programs for you. 

Thanks so much for that info, much appreciated! Would you mind if I PM'd you with some MSCAPP questions? Mostly curious about elective options and class culture. Thanks again!

On 9/14/2020 at 1:38 AM, kb_sf said:

Thanks so much for that info, much appreciated! Would you mind if I PM'd you with some MSCAPP questions? Mostly curious about elective options and class culture. Thanks again!

Sure!