Rhet./Comp. Applicants - 2020 Application Cycle

Hi everyone! Bit of a long-time listener, first time caller. Obviously this forum has many more English PhD applicants over rhet./comp. applicants, so I wanted to create a thread for this cycle for people to chat/commiserate about this weird application cycle in our tiny field, and to see where people are thinking and what their broad research interests are!

I'm interested largely in the intersection of rhetorical/critical theory, as well as applying a philosophy lens to rhetoric of law (mainly Derrida, Heidegger, Kant). So far, applying to Penn State, UT Austin, UMD, and Berkeley, but still trying to expand that list as I know it's small... I'm kind of pessimistically assuming that I'm going to get shut out this round, and then hoping secretly to be pleasantly surprised. Good advice from one of my professors was "you can't win if you don't play," so I'm trying to keep that mindset that at least it's worth it to throw my name into the hat.

Best of luck to you all this cycle ?

hi! so my current ma program is interdisciplinary but i've focused on media studies (alongside russian language.) i'm applying to syracuse's composition + cultural rhetoric phd program. i'm interested in the visual/digital rhetoric of alt-right and extremist groups.  best of luck to you!

I'm a rhetoric person too! My undergrad was Comm & English majors and then got my MA in a Comm Department. I've got teaching experience in Comm but then worked at the Writing Center throughout my MA as well. My research interests are primarily Rhetoric of Science/Medicine/Tech, with sub interests in expertise and conspiracy theories. Rhetoric of Science/Medicine is so split between the two departments so I'm applying mostly based on fit - roughly 50/50 for Rhet/Comp and Comm Rhetoric.

For English departments I'm planning on UT Austin as well, and then also Michigan JPEE and Ohio State (if they take applicants). I'm considering UNC Chapel Hill as well, but don't think it's as good of a fit as some of the others. Then I'm applying to 3-4 Comm departments. 

We'll see what happens, I'm trying to be optimistic... but we'll see how it goes ?

Edited by kirbs005

• 3 weeks later...

So glad I found some more rhet/comp people! My undergraduate degrees are in English w/ a writing emphasis and political science. I'm still surveying the field a bit, I'm planning on putting applications in at University of Washington, Carnegie Mellon, Ohio State, and maybe Syracuse and University of South Carolina. The list continues to expand! 

I've been really diving in deep into political-cultural rhetoric, especially as it relates to Western politics. I'm currently working on my senior thesis that dives into how Montana's New Deal-era congressmen engaged with Red Scare propaganda both during their tenure in office and during their campaigns. So far, it's turning out to be incredibly interesting. 

Let me know what other programs I should be looking at!

Hey All!  

I'm applying to philosophy phd's but I'm interested in some comp lit programs and some funded english MAs.  I come from a background in continental philosophy focusing on the philosophy of art/aesthetics.  Long story short I'm interested in how language structures human experience and how that process is both historical and sometimes inadequate.  

For comp lit I'm applying to CUNY, Emory, and UCI.  English MAs I'm thinking Villanova, Duquesne, Boston College.  

Good luck!  

• 5 weeks later...

I'm currently a FYW instructor, and I'm applying to get my PhD in Rhet/Comp! I have a BA in Secondary Ed: English & Psychology and an MA in Creative Writing. My research interest is improving student well-being through the FYW classroom through "life skills" lessons (e.g., time management and stress reduction). I'm applying to Ed and English programs for this application season.

I'm only applying to Northeastern University for Rhet/Comp.

Fingers crossed!