Spanish 2021

senorbrightside

19 minutes ago, senorbrightside said:

And there's my rejection from UVA...

Still have five more to hear back from but I'm pretty sure that will be five more rejections at this point. I was shut out last year too so ? 

OYE NO DIGAS ESO. Its okay if you dont have the faith, but I have enough faith for you that this will be a different cycle for you. I am speaking positively for you and putting out buenas vibras por ti. You WILL NOT be shut out this cycle. 

Edited by Conejita

30 minutes ago, Conejita said:

OYE NO DIGAS ESO. Its okay if you dont have the faith, but I have enough faith for you that this will be a different cycle for you. I am speaking positively for you and putting out buenas vibras por ti. You WILL NOT be shut out this cycle. 

¡Gracias!

Si me digo que no tengo esperanza, me va a sorprender aún más cuando recibo un acceptance WITH funding. I just know this is my last cycle, so I'm just trying not to get my hopes up at this much...but I thank you for your faith. 

Por cierto...maybe email the school you had the interview with? Unless you're like me and like assuming lo peor while holding onto hope? 

Amig@s, thank you all for participating in this thread. I look at it often and feel less alone in this grueling process. 

I'm hoping to get some advice. I applied to five programs this cycle. I was rejected by two and still have one pending (MA at Nebraska). I've been admitted to two: MA at UC Davis (full funding with 50% TA position) and PhD at University of Michigan (full funding, fellowship year one, and a "merit-based" fellowship for two additional years). Both programs have several professors who I'm interested in working with, but it seems that Michigan is the obvious choice because of the lighter teaching load and the stability of a seven-year commitment (vs. only two at Davis). I'm wondering if there are any factors I'm missing or forgetting to consider here. I was planning to reject the UC Davis offer as soon as possible so they can move to the next candidate, but I wanted to check with the collective intelligence first to see if you all have any input. Thanks in advance! 

16 minutes ago, olivetree111 said:

Amig@s, thank you all for participating in this thread. I look at it often and feel less alone in this grueling process. 

I'm hoping to get some advice. I applied to five programs this cycle. I was rejected by two and still have one pending (MA at Nebraska). I've been admitted to two: MA at UC Davis (full funding with 50% TA position) and PhD at University of Michigan (full funding, fellowship year one, and a "merit-based" fellowship for two additional years). Both programs have several professors who I'm interested in working with, but it seems that Michigan is the obvious choice because of the lighter teaching load and the stability of a seven-year commitment (vs. only two at Davis). I'm wondering if there are any factors I'm missing or forgetting to consider here. I was planning to reject the UC Davis offer as soon as possible so they can move to the next candidate, but I wanted to check with the collective intelligence first to see if you all have any input. Thanks in advance! 

Congrats on the acceptances! I would agree with taking the U Michigan offer, however, mainly because it's a PhD offer. I would caveat that with really researching the faculty in the departments and thinking about your potential interests; which department is closer to those? If Davis is honestly closer, it may be better to take the Davis offer. I would also think about what your aims for the MA/PhD are. Do you want an academic job (TT or equivalent?) If so, make sure the programs are able to give you enough teaching/professional experience. Fellowships look great on the resume (I'm also up for a Fellowship at Davis which I would really like) but missing out on 3 years of teaching at the start is a lot and you'll then be teaching at the more stressful part of the degree. Plus you'll have less experience than others on the market (for example, most would have 2 years at most on Fellowship across MA/PhD). 

I honestly wouldn't rush your decision - I have 3 offers and am likely going to take my Davis offer but sometimes when I think about it, I think should I take one of the other offers. It's a difficult process - don't rush it! Just my $0.02.  

21 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

And there's my rejection from UVA...

Still have five more to hear back from but I'm pretty sure that will be five more rejections at this point. I was shut out last year too so ? 

Hasta marzo no se sabrá nada de Illinois o Nebraska porque su fecha límites fueron recientes. En varias univeresidades los departamentos de inglés  recibieron entre 40% y 100% MÁS solicitudes de admisión a programas graduados para el otoño. Posiblemente algo similar ocurrió con español. Yo tampoco tenía esperanzas desde el principio. Por eso cuando me llegó el primer (y único rechazo hasta ahora) fue como ir a preparar café en la cocina. No me afectó. Ahora, hay dos en donde tengo posibilidades todavía y, como Conejita, les doy la semana que viene a más tardar antes de ponerme a hacer llamadas y enviar mensajes 'email' a los directores de programa. En Virginia solicita demasiada gente, ¡la competencia ahí es absolutamente brutal! Así que ánimo Senorbright. 

Yo, en cuanto termine un par de cosas, me pongo a buscar trabajo porque parece que no voy a estudiar. 

29 minutes ago, olivetree111 said:

Felicidades, Olive.

¿Factores a tomar en cuenta? Creo que el principal es si crees que podrás trabajar bien en el lugar que sea. Piensa que Ann Arbor es un lugar con unas condiciones climatológicas fuertes en invierno. ¿No tendrías problemas de depresión o de desprecio por el clima? (Yo no, pero hay gente que sí.) Cosas así. 5, 6 ó 7 años es un tiempo largo. Aunque siempre puedes trasladarte a otro programa... El costo de vida es otra cuestión. Y así hay varias cosas. Para mí lo principal es que sí voy a trabajar en un programa donde a los profesores les guste trabajar con uno y quieran ayudar a uno. (Si ves que un profesor en tu área no ha tenido estudiantes a su cargo en algún tiempo... ¡malísima señal!) En donde yo estoy ahora el ambiente es tóxico en el área de Latinoamérica y tiene a los poquítisimos estudiantes de literatura nerviosos. Todas estas cuestiones que menciono no suenan importantes ahora, pero sí lo son a largo plazo. 

56 minutes ago, olivetree111 said:

¡Enhorabuena!

My advisor from undergrad basically told me when I was considering applying to Michigan that "if I get in, GO." I didn't end up applying because I didn't feel a real match despite various professors I admire being there. Granted there are other factors, like Angela Merkel and presidentialpudding said, but an acceptance to Michigan is a HUGE thing as it's so hard to get into. 

Edited by senorbrightside

1 hour ago, Angela Merkel said:

Hasta marzo no se sabrá nada de Illinois o Nebraska porque su fecha límites fueron recientes. En varias univeresidades los departamentos de inglés  recibieron entre 40% y 100% MÁS solicitudes de admisión a programas graduados para el otoño. Posiblemente algo similar ocurrió con español. Yo tampoco tenía esperanzas desde el principio. Por eso cuando me llegó el primer (y único rechazo hasta ahora) fue como ir a preparar café en la cocina. No me afectó. Ahora, hay dos en donde tengo posibilidades todavía y, como Conejita, les doy la semana que viene a más tardar antes de ponerme a hacer llamadas y enviar mensajes 'email' a los directores de programa. En Virginia solicita demasiada gente, ¡la competencia ahí es absolutamente brutal! Así que ánimo Senorbright. 

Yo, en cuanto termine un par de cosas, me pongo a buscar trabajo porque parece que no voy a estudiar. 

Interesante, lo de Illinois - ¿les has enviado un email para pedirles cuándo van a pedirnos noticias? Me he postulado a los dos (UIUC y UIC) y sigo esperando... alguien de Reddit me ha dicho que UIUC ya han enviado rechazos a algunos pero no sé nada. Creo que UIC me encajaría mejor pero que yo sepa los dos no han aceptado a nadie ya... 

La U de Illinois en Chicago me atrae mucho por varias razones. Yo creo que a principios de marzo se sabrá algo debido a su calendario; hace apenas 4 semanas que llegaron las solicitudes finales. Pero es pura especulación. También cerraron par de días en estos días por la ola de frío ártico. Sí me comuniqué, pero era por cuestión de un documento de mi solicitud. En dos días me contestaron, y ya estaba el proceso en marcha. Hay una administradora en el departamento que se encarga de todo lo de admisiones graduadas. También puede que, como muchas, están esperando que la Escuela Graduada le apruebe los fondos para las posiciones. Eso pasaba en Wisconsin y en Minnessotta hace un par de años. Wisconsin mejoró el año pasado. Este año Minessotta (que era mi predilecta) no aceptó solicitudes porque no se lo permitió la Escuela Graduada. 

On 2/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, presidentialpudding said:

Interesante, lo de Illinois - ¿les has enviado un email para pedirles cuándo van a pedirnos noticias? Me he postulado a los dos (UIUC y UIC) y sigo esperando... alguien de Reddit me ha dicho que UIUC ya han enviado rechazos a algunos pero no sé nada. Creo que UIC me encajaría mejor pero que yo sepa los dos no han aceptado a nadie ya... 

Hi, about the UIUC decision, I sent an email to DGS and he said the result will be soon available no later than late February. I applied to UIUC too, and I am literature track.

Has anyone here applied to Notre Dame? I am also waiting for their decision too

2 hours ago, spanishdr said:

Hi, about the UIUC decision, I sent an email to DGS and he said the result will be soon available no later than late February. I applied to UIUC too, and I am literature track.

Has anyone here applied to Notre Dame? I am also waiting for their decision too

¡Gracias amigo! That's definitely later than usual - they have a VERY full PhD roster at the moment which I know is causing some headaches (some candidates are going onto their 7th year of PhD funding) so that may be causing some delays in decisions. 

8 hours ago, Angela Merkel said:

La U de Illinois en Chicago me atrae mucho por varias razones. Yo creo que a principios de marzo se sabrá algo debido a su calendario; hace apenas 4 semanas que llegaron las solicitudes finales. Pero es pura especulación. También cerraron par de días en estos días por la ola de frío ártico. Sí me comuniqué, pero era por cuestión de un documento de mi solicitud. En dos días me contestaron, y ya estaba el proceso en marcha. Hay una administradora en el departamento que se encarga de todo lo de admisiones graduadas. También puede que, como muchas, están esperando que la Escuela Graduada le apruebe los fondos para las posiciones. Eso pasaba en Wisconsin y en Minnessotta hace un par de años. Wisconsin mejoró el año pasado. Este año Minessotta (que era mi predilecta) no aceptó solicitudes porque no se lo permitió la Escuela Graduada. 

I did some digging - the GEO contract is up for renewal this year. This could potentially delay decisions at UIC. The rebargaining got very heated about 3/4 years ago at UIUC (picket lines etc) so that could very well lead to delays. 

Just now, Conejita said:

I thought refreshing my email would make the decisions come faster ?

Based on my own experience... it has not worked. Lol! I broke down and sent an email to IU via the portal, requesting any updates on the status of my application. I knew emailing the grad services coordinator wouldnt get me anywhere, and I am too scared to email my POI lol. I doubt there is anything, but the anxiety got the best of me. 

49 minutes ago, casi cielo said:

Still radio silence. Waiting and waiting..

Story of my life.

In other news, Campus Rec decided to put me back on their mailing list this week after no mails for two months...my heart skipped a beat at seeing a new email notification...only to be "This Week at Campus Rec..." 

Ojalá...ojalá.

@ConejitaI thought refreshing my email would make the decisions come faster ?

Edited by senorbrightside

7 minutes ago, senorbrightside said:

Story of my life.

In other news, Campus Rec decided to put me back on their mailing list this week after no mails for two months...my heart skipped a beat at seeing a new email notification...only to be "This Week at Campus Rec..." 

Ojalá...ojalá.

@ConejitaI thought refreshing my email would make the decisions come faster ?

I applied to the PhD program of my MA and every time I get a email with their header I get excited. Then I see “Virtual events this week” and I want to throw my phone across the room 

Edited by Conejita

12 minutes ago, casi cielo said:

Based on my own experience... it has not worked. Lol! I broke down and sent an email to IU via the portal, requesting any updates on the status of my application. I knew emailing the grad services coordinator wouldnt get me anywhere, and I am too scared to email my POI lol. I doubt there is anything, but the anxiety got the best of me. 

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I interviewed a month ago and haven’t heard anything. So I just may email their DGS but I don’t want to bother them either. I might give in to the anxiety though 

35 minutes ago, presidentialpudding said:

@spanishdr UIUC has just emailed me their decision (acceptance!). Looks like what JIG told you was right. 

¡Enhorabuena! I did my MA there so let me know if you have any questions...I know more about lit than linguistics though. It's a great program :)

The school where I am waitlisted emailed me and told me "it doesn't look promising", so although I did have hope, I no longer do... waiting on a decision from one last school... it's looking like I won't make it in this year. any advice on what to do until next round? :(

2 hours ago, casi cielo said:

The school where I am waitlisted emailed me and told me "it doesn't look promising", so although I did have hope, I no longer do... waiting on a decision from one last school... it's looking like I won't make it in this year. any advice on what to do until next round? :(

Lo único que se me ocurre es: pedir cartas de recomendación más fuertes y buscar por lo menos una persona con el rango de catedrática(o) ('Professor'), escribir un ensayo de admisión bien fuerte donde cconvenzas a los que votan en los comités de las cosas que te hacen una candidata fuerte para SU PROGRAMA (como algún área de énfasis en su deprtamento entre la facultad, por ejemplo), buscar algún trabajo mientras tanto relacionado con la academia o con enseñanza (como técnica en un laboratorio de idiomas, aunque sea de voluntaria, sin paga), aprobar exámenes en los idiomas extranjeros que piden e incluirlos en la solicitud para el año que viene. Hay un examen de idiomas para escuela graduada que algunas aceptan como evidencia final para los requisitos de idiomas. Y, por último, reescribir el trabajo escrito que se sometió con más investigación y citas y con un español más claro y lógico. Estas cosas son con las que yo cuento en lugar de notas. Éstas no tienen tanto peso como muchos se creen. Estas cosas fueron compartidas por una ex-miembro de un comité. También son las cosas con las que yo cuento para ser admitida.... ¡pero parece que a mí no me funcionan! ?

Edited by Angela Merkel