Spanish 2021

senorbrightside

¿Alguien aquí tiene noticias de Washington U en San Luis? Hoy han vuelto a rechazar a una candidata(o). Yo creía que ya habían terminado de rechazar a todo el mundo hace un par de semanas. Y no me han rechazado aún. ? Quizá es lista de espera. Les preguntaré la semana que viene directamente. Eso de listas de espera lo que hace es darle a una esperanzas de algo que no va a ocurrir. Suerte que he comprado alcohol ayer, para que me ayude. ?

34 minutes ago, Angela Merkel said:

¿Alguien aquí tiene noticias de Washington U en San Luis? Hoy han vuelto a rechazar a una candidata(o). Yo creía que ya habían terminado de rechazar a todo el mundo hace un par de semanas. Y no me han rechazado aún. ? Quizá es lista de espera. Les preguntaré la semana que viene directamente. Eso de listas de espera lo que hace es darle a una esperanzas de algo que no va a ocurrir. Suerte que he comprado alcohol ayer, para que me ayude. ?

Jaja. Yo ando por mi tercer botella de vino. Hoy mismo compraré otra?

On 2/22/2021 at 11:11 PM, senorbrightside said:

¡Enhorabuena! I did my MA there so let me know if you have any questions...I know more about lit than linguistics though. It's a great program :)

¡Gracias! I'm likely going to accept their offer I think - they've just hired two professors in my main area of interest (Spanish in the US) plus the linguistics faculty is generally very strong. Just going to have to brace for Midwestern winters haha

42 minutes ago, presidentialpudding said:

Just going to have to brace for Midwestern winters haha

¡enhorabuena! soy de Indiana, del norte, y el invierno es muuuuyyy fuerte en Chicago por el efecto del lago. a pesar de todo, es una ciudad hermosa y la vas a encantar! ¡suerte y feliz!

17 hours ago, presidentialpudding said:

¡Gracias! I'm likely going to accept their offer I think - they've just hired two professors in my main area of interest (Spanish in the US) plus the linguistics faculty is generally very strong. Just going to have to brace for Midwestern winters haha

Champaign-Urbana's winters aren't too bad for being the midwest, but I grew up in the snow belt of Ohio. Last week's 10-inch snowstorm was the most snow they had seen in a single snowfall in about 8 years. It can get cold (this February has been exceptionally cold), but it's nothing like Chicago's winters. If you're coming from the south, then it will take some getting used to though. 

UIUC is definitely strong in linguistics. I'm so happy for you! 

¡Tengo novedades!

Accepted to McGill, but without funding attached. I'm emailing the DGS today to ask about  funding opportunities and how to apply for it. It's my first choice, but without funding...no puedo :( No estoy loco. 

And I saw someone had been wait listed at Penn State so I emailed them myself...también lista de espera. I was expecting a quick rejection from them, so being waitlisted was actually a pleasant surprise. 

37 minutes ago, senorbrightside said:

¡Tengo novedades!

Accepted to McGill, but without funding attached. I'm emailing the DGS today to ask about  funding opportunities and how to apply for it. It's my first choice, but without funding...no puedo :( No estoy loco. 

And I saw someone had been wait listed at Penn State so I emailed them myself...también lista de espera. I was expecting a quick rejection from them, so being waitlisted was actually a pleasant surprise. 

¡Caray, McGill! Wow... ¡Felicidades! Ahora tienes que ponerte a contactar a varias personas, desde seccretarias hasta directores de programas. Búscate alguien en tu área de interés y escríbele inmediatamente (ya estás aceptado) y pídele consejos para asistencia económica. Sé que tienen pocos trabajos para los estudiantes graduados. Si fueses francés la matrícula te salía como residente de la Provincia de Québec. (Búscate un novio o novia canadiense o francés(a) a ver si te casas antes de agosto. JA,JA,JA,JA,JA...) Yo iba a solicitar, pero no garantizan asistencia económica para todos los años del programa. La reputación de McGuill es buenísima a nivel mundial, por si no lo sabías. Y la ciudad de Montreal, a pesar de  los muchos indigentes, es muy superior a la gran mayoría de las ciudades estadounidenses. Y mucho más cosmopolita y europea. 

Otra vez: ¡Felicidades! Me alegra mucho por ti. 

3 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

Champaign-Urbana's winters aren't too bad for being the midwest, but I grew up in the snow belt of Ohio. Last week's 10-inch snowstorm was the most snow they had seen in a single snowfall in about 8 years. It can get cold (this February has been exceptionally cold), but it's nothing like Chicago's winters. If you're coming from the south, then it will take some getting used to though. 

UIUC is definitely strong in linguistics. I'm so happy for you! 

I live in a coastal area of Europe so 1/2 inch of snow leads to gridlock and chaos. Any more than that was definitely a snow day when I was in school and I only remember 2 or 3 of those haha. They also seem to be extremely efficient administratively - already have my I-20 so if I do accept I can start tackling the visa in a pandemic nightmare (especially since the embassy is partially closed). 

Also just saw your news about McGill - that's great news!! I'm over the moon for you!! 

Pues...McGill me han dicho que hay pocas oportunidades para funding. They said I have to secure all funds for tuition and living in Montreal myself and I should reject the offer if unable to do so. In humanities an acceptance without funding is pretty much the same as a rejection, so my 24 hours of happiness has already come crashing down. 

2 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

Pues...McGill me han dicho que hay pocas oportunidades para funding. They said I have to secure all funds for tuition and living in Montreal myself and I should reject the offer if unable to do so. In humanities an acceptance without funding is pretty much the same as a rejection, so my 24 hours of happiness has already come crashing down. 

?

3 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

¡Ay no! :(

I can't believe that I still have not heard back from my top choice school... I had a meeting with a POI yesterday and it went so well. I can't imagine getting rejected after meeting with several profs, a stellar writing sample, 2 professors from my program have connections with people from this program, and my research interests fit with several professors at this school. I got waitlisted at my second choice school and it is a great program still, but my top choice is a better fit. I don't know why I haven't heard anything yet (assuming waitlist) but I have strong hopes that I will get into this program!!!! 

How's everyone else doing? Losing hope? Gaining hope? Making plans to move? 

2 hours ago, casi cielo said:

I can't believe that I still have not heard back from my top choice school... I had a meeting with a POI yesterday and it went so well. I can't imagine getting rejected after meeting with several profs, a stellar writing sample, 2 professors from my program have connections with people from this program, and my research interests fit with several professors at this school. I got waitlisted at my second choice school and it is a great program still, but my top choice is a better fit. I don't know why I haven't heard anything yet (assuming waitlist) but I have strong hopes that I will get into this program!!!! 

How's everyone else doing? Losing hope? Gaining hope? Making plans to move? 

In between losing and gaining hope?

My top school has waitlisted me. I am trying to remain positive as it’s still early and I am hoping that maybe someone will reject their offer but we all know how waiting list works ?

I am trying to remain positive because what is for me, will be for me. And everything will work out in the end whether or not it’s the plan I originally envisioned.

Thank you for asking :)

@firefly22 I wonder if you've heard from Duke? I sadly got waitlisted but am trying to figure out how many people they extended offers to. It's my dream school, and I'd love to get off the waitlist!! Best of luck to you!!

Dos rechazos más recibidos. Y eso porque le escribí directamente a los directores del programa graduado directamente. Y me respondieron. Indiana no había enviado notificaciones para literatura. Al otro día de haberle escrito a la directora del programa de posgrado, vi el movimiento en 'Resultados' aquí. Lo típico: este año hemos recibido más solicitudes que lo usual, hay muy buenos candidatos, ha sido difícil seleccionar, etcétera. Esas cartas algunos departamentos deberían cambiarlas y hacerlas más creativas. Son años del mismo modelo. 

@senorbrightside: ¿Has sabido algo de Nebraska? Hoy recibí una notificación diciéndome que necesitan unas semanas más porque han recibido muchas más solicitudes este año. Por lo menos fue un gesto civilizado, comparado a casi todos. No he sabido NADA de Illinois en Chicago

@Angela MerkelHe recibido este mismo email. Aunque aprecio el gesto, también estoy harto de esperar....para ser sincero Nebraska ni estaba en mi radar hasta que una profesora me lo recomendó porque encajo bien con un profe allí (y es verdad, estaría genial trabajar con él) y también porqué "no reciben muchas solicitudes." Jajajaja. Bueno...

Creo que no voy a recibir ninguna oferta con funding dos años seguidos.  

1 hour ago, Angela Merkel said:

Dos rechazos más recibidos. Y eso porque le escribí directamente a los directores del programa graduado directamente. Y me respondieron. Indiana no había enviado notificaciones para literatura. Al otro día de haberle escrito a la directora del programa de posgrado, vi el movimiento en 'Resultados' aquí. Lo típico: este año hemos recibido más solicitudes que lo usual, hay muy buenos candidatos, ha sido difícil seleccionar, etcétera. Esas cartas algunos departamentos deberían cambiarlas y hacerlas más creativas. Son años del mismo modelo. 

@senorbrightside: ¿Has sabido algo de Nebraska? Hoy recibí una notificación diciéndome que necesitan unas semanas más porque han recibido muchas más solicitudes este año. Por lo menos fue un gesto civilizado, comparado a casi todos. No he sabido NADA de Illinois en Chicago

I’ll DM you about UIC - tengo novedades pero no quiero que sean públicas.

1 hour ago, Angela Merkel said:

Y eso porque le escribí directamente a los directores del programa graduado directamente. Y me respondieron.

¿A quién escribiste para una decisión de Indiana? He estado en contacto con dos profesores y el coordinador pero nadie me ha dicho nada de decisiones. Bueno, que no he pedido directamente a ellos, pero ya. La semana pasada mandé un email al departamento para saber algo de decisiones, pero nadie me ha respondido. :(  puedes mandarme un mensaje privado si quieres ?

At this point, I assume waitlisted or rejected, as I have not heard anything. I would just like to know. 

Edited by casi cielo

13 minutes ago, casi cielo said:

¿A quién escribiste para una decisión de Indiana? He estado en contacto con dos profesores y el coordinador pero nadie me ha dicho nada de decisiones. Bueno, que no he pedido directamente a ellos, pero ya. La semana pasada mandé un email al departamento para saber algo de decisiones, pero nadie me ha respondido. :(  puedes mandarme un mensaje privado si quieres ?

At this point, I assume waitlisted or rejected, as I have not heard anything. I would just like to know. 

Le escribí directamente a la directora del programa graduado, creo que era una tal Myers... (¿?). Me contestó, pero al otro día me llegó la notificación oficial también. 

5 hours ago, Anabel said:

@firefly22 I wonder if you've heard from Duke? I sadly got waitlisted but am trying to figure out how many people they extended offers to. It's my dream school, and I'd love to get off the waitlist!! Best of luck to you!!

I just received the acceptance letter! I'm super excited!! I can't believe it. I applied to 6 universities and got rejected by the other 5. So I will take this place!

I hope you'll get off of the waitlist!!! Best of lucks!

6 hours ago, firefly22 said:

I just received the acceptance letter! I'm super excited!! I can't believe it. I applied to 6 universities and got rejected by the other 5. So I will take this place!

I hope you'll get off of the waitlist!!! Best of lucks!

congratulations!!! may I ask you which school did you get the acceptance?

Anyone have any updates? Anyone have strategies they use to prevent themselves from obsessing over checking grad cafe and the email??

I am considering putting on a rubber band and snapping it when I want to check both. My fear is that knowing myself, I'll snap the rubber band more than 10 times in one day. 

I hope the process is going well for everyone. Congrats to those accepted. To those waiting, may we hear good news soon.