Spanish 2021

senorbrightside

1 hour ago, Pessoa said:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if those of you who applied to  Georgetown or UIC have heard back from them. 

Thanks in advance!

I’ve not heard back from either. Georgetown historically has released results around now so I’m hoping we’ll get some decisions this week or next week. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern with UIC, however. 

4 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

¡Enhorabuena!

And yes, that sounds like a good sign. :D

I'm...still....waiting...

Gracias amigo! I’m sure you’ll hear back soon with good news - it seems like decisions are definitely delayed in general this year; there are very few decisions posted for Spanish when I looked on the main page. 

Congratulations! I have not heard from them, which looking at past years, likely means I didn´t get in. I´m also curious how they contacted you though? Email or phone?

Anyone heard from UVa Literature?

42 minutes ago, Anabel said:

Congratulations! I have not heard from them, which looking at past years, likely means I didn´t get in. I´m also curious how they contacted you though? Email or phone?

Anyone heard from UVa Literature?

UVA said to expect results around late February when I went to their informational session in December. They're one of my top choices.

4 minutes ago, poetrylover said:

Thank you!!! I'm very excited about it! It was through phone call! @presidentialpudding

@Anabel

So you should be!! It’s the only application I have remaining which I would consider taking over my other offers. If I’m rejected from them, I’m more than happy with my Davis offer, if I get in (looking unlikely) I’m 90% certain I’m taking the Davis offer because it’s the second highest ranked of the schools I applied to and the campus looks gorgeous. 

Hola todos!! I have been following this thread for a while and have decided to lean into and created an account! 

I am extremely anxious. I cannot handle the waiting. I keep refreshing the results and my email. 

I saw someone posted Tulane. Has anyone else gotten an offer? I interviewed a week ago but have yet to hear back. I am hoping it isn’t bad news and perhaps I am on a waiting list or something ?

Buena suerte a todos :)

48 minutes ago, Conejita said:

Hola todos!! I have been following this thread for a while and have decided to lean into and created an account! 

I am extremely anxious. I cannot handle the waiting. I keep refreshing the results and my email. 

I saw someone posted Tulane. Has anyone else gotten an offer? I interviewed a week ago but have yet to hear back. I am hoping it isn’t bad news and perhaps I am on a waiting list or something ?

Buena suerte a todos :)

A week isn’t long since an interview! I got my offer 11 days after my interview - there’s a lot of administrative processing which needs to be done sometimes. 

18 minutes ago, presidentialpudding said:

A week isn’t long since an interview! I got my offer 11 days after my interview - there’s a lot of administrative processing which needs to be done sometimes. 

You are right!! I guess I am just an anxious wreck because someone interviewed already and also got an offer the same week as the interview. Whereas I interviews the same week as that person (based of the results page) and haven’t heard back yet. But you’re right. I need to practice patience (a virtue I heavily lack) ?

Edited by Conejita

On 1/12/2021 at 7:30 PM, senorbrightside said:

May the odds ever be in your favour @presidentialpudding February seems to be the target month. 

In the end I applied to Durham (in the UK), McGill and Toronto in Canada and UVA, Washington, Penn State and Nebraska. 

What about everyone else? 

¡Saludos!

¿A cuál 'Washington'? La University of Washington o la Washington University in St. Louis? Yo solicité a esta última. De todos modos, no espero respuesta de Washington en San Luis sino hasta marzo. También solicité a Nebraska. Si sé algo te lo dejo saber. 

18 minutes ago, senorbrightside said:

¡Hola!

La Uni de Washington en Seattle. 

Cuando solicité, Nebraska me dijo sobre los finales de febrero debería saber algo. ¿Qué tal llevas la espera de noticias? 

Ah... la Univ. de Washington... Una vez  revisé el programa, pero no era para mí. Y llevo la cuestón bastante bien porque otros asuntos me toman mucho más tiempo y tensión.  Es crucial que haya alguien más o menos interesado(a) en lo que le interesa a uno o que haya publicado su articulito en algo más o menos cercano. Hasta ahora no me ha rechazado ninguna, aunque solamente han pasado unas semanas. Si me acepta algún programa de doctorado será para finales de febrero o marzo. Nebraska está muy bien. Y la ciudad donde está es muy buena y de alta calidad de vida. Sé que están lentamente trabajando ya en la Univ de Illinois en Chicago porque tuve que comunicarme con ellos anteayer para aclarar una cuestión. ¿Lo tuyo es cine además de literatura de España? Illinois en Chicago tiene un par de británicos y el director es uno de ellos y ha estudiado cine español. Se lo trajeron de Madrid, he leído. Me acabo de enterar después que había solicitado y esas cosas. Buena suerte.

13 hours ago, Angela Merkel said:

It is too early for the Univ of Illinois at Chicago. Their deadline was just two weeks ago. (I applied to their program.)

Agreed. They had two deadlines (Dec 15 and Jan 15). I also noticed they’ve changed DGS for this semester (I’m assuming the previous one is on sabbatical) which will likely also delay decisions. 

One of my programs has just contacted me to arrange a Zoom call next week to discuss their decision with me face to face instead of sending a long message through email? It's an odd email to say the least - I don't know if it's an acceptance or not but I'm assuming it's a waitlist at worst since I doubt they would go to the trouble of meeting with rejected candidates by Zoom? That's logical thinking, right? 

31 minutes ago, nowherelit said:

You’re definitely at least waitlisted, if not accepted! Did they mention you being a finalist at all? 

It’s very cryptic. It just says they’ve evaluated my application and the DGS now wants to discuss their recommendation. No discussion of finalists or anything like that. They mention not wanting to send a long message. I’m 50/50 waitlist/acceptance - it could be a meeting to explain the waitlist and/or possibly ask for some more info that they felt was lacking or it could be an acceptance meeting and a chance for the DGS to sell the program and department to me/explain the funding. Either option would explain not wanting to send a long message. 

9 minutes ago, presidentialpudding said:

It’s very cryptic. It just says they’ve evaluated my application and the DGS now wants to discuss their recommendation. No discussion of finalists or anything like that. They mention not wanting to send a long message. I’m 50/50 waitlist/acceptance - it could be a meeting to explain the waitlist and/or possibly ask for some more info that they felt was lacking or it could be an acceptance meeting and a chance for the DGS to sell the program and department to me/explain the funding. Either option would explain not wanting to send a long message. 

It sounds like it's either waitlist or acceptance. I hope an acceptance! Dedos cruzados.  I'd be dying in suspense...

Speaking of dying in suspense...I still have radio silence on all of mine outside the one in the UK. 

21 hours ago, presidentialpudding said:

One of my programs has just contacted me to arrange a Zoom call next week to discuss their decision with me face to face instead of sending a long message through email? It's an odd email to say the least - I don't know if it's an acceptance or not but I'm assuming it's a waitlist at worst since I doubt they would go to the trouble of meeting with rejected candidates by Zoom? That's logical thinking, right? 

Sí. Lógico.