MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

46 minutes ago, elix said:

it's very nerve wracking. how do you feel the interview went?

I really feel like it went well! But who knows. It’s my top choice so that makes it extra verve racking. The program is so small I really wonder how many people they interviewed. How do you feel yours went? 

1 minute ago, Dgzrlemc said:

I really feel like it went well! But who knows. It’s my top choice so that makes it extra verve racking. The program is so small I really wonder how many people they interviewed. How do you feel yours went? 

I felt like it went well for the most part! I think i tripped up on one of the questions but trying not to fixate on it.

Hoping the interview isn't weighed tooo heavily. I feel like they probably don't interview too many people considering they only accept 2! Also my top choice ?

26 minutes ago, elix said:

I felt like it went well for the most part! I think i tripped up on one of the questions but trying not to fixate on it.

Hoping the interview isn't weighed tooo heavily. I feel like they probably don't interview too many people considering they only accept 2! Also my top choice ?

Well good luck!! Rooting for you! 

2 hours ago, ccrnnr9 said:

I too come from no an undergraduate major in the social sciences nearly 15 years ago and no formal training the visual arts outside of a single course I took at a local community college. My practice really only gained steam in the past few years. I'm of the opinion that you have to communicate what strengths you bring and be honest and effective or portraying what you hope to gain in 2-3 years of study. For what it's worth, I was accepted into my top choice program and I'm waiting to hear back from one other before making a decision. I say this all to say if you haven't followed the traditional pathway, do not fear. If anything studies in creative fields should be open to individuals outside the traditional pathways less we limit the lived experiences and creative practices that different pathways bring. Be authentic and find a program that will push and nurture you. Ultimately it's about your own growth so finding a program and location that speak to you is the most important factor I believe. Good luck - I'm excited for the next chapter and challenge ahead.

I cried at this message. Thank you so much for the encouragement ? And CONGRATULATIONS for getting into your top program; I'm so happy for you!!!

1 hour ago, dgrkrk said:

I cried at this message. Thank you so much for the encouragement ? And CONGRATULATIONS for getting into your top program; I'm so happy for you!!!

Thank you!!! I'm certainly excited and looking forward to whatever the next chapter holds. Best of luck to you and keep the faith - you got it!

6 hours ago, Dgzrlemc said:

I interviewed with ceramics the 29th and am anxiously waiting ?. All they told me was “within a couple weeks”. 

I applied there in ceramics too, but haven't heard a peep.  I thought it had been a while and I should have heard something by now but didn't know if they were behind.  I guess that doesn't look promising for my application :/....but congrats on your interview.  How did it go?

11 hours ago, CABClay said:

I applied there in ceramics too, but haven't heard a peep.  I thought it had been a while and I should have heard something by now but didn't know if they were behind.  I guess that doesn't look promising for my application :/....but congrats on your interview.  How did it go?

Thank you! It’s a bummer that programs just leave people hanging with no word either way. I feel like it went pretty well! I would be super excited to get in. Where else did you apply? 

31 minutes ago, Dgzrlemc said:

Thank you! It’s a bummer that programs just leave people hanging with no word either way. I feel like it went pretty well! I would be super excited to get in. Where else did you apply? 

Yes I hope you do, I think I read it was your top choice!  Their ceramics program looks great...I applied to Alfred, Uark, OSU, Tulane, UFL, Kent State, and SIUE.  All for ceramics, they all have full rides.  I got an email this morning from SUNY New Paltz where I started an application and didn't finish, offering a chance to submit before the 10th.  Surprising!  I'm probably going to go ahead and submit there too.  Where all did you apply and is it all ceramics?

58 minutes ago, CABClay said:

Yes I hope you do, I think I read it was your top choice!  Their ceramics program looks great...I applied to Alfred, Uark, OSU, Tulane, UFL, Kent State, and SIUE.  All for ceramics, they all have full rides.  I got an email this morning from SUNY New Paltz where I started an application and didn't finish, offering a chance to submit before the 10th.  Surprising!  I'm probably going to go ahead and submit there too.  Where all did you apply and is it all ceramics?

Oh nice! I applied to ceramics at UArk, Yale, Georgia, UConn and SAIC. Then also the art theory practice program at Northwestern. 

I just heard for an interview with Alfred (Sculpture) but they seemed to have a lot of time slots for interviews so I believe they are doing a standard thing and scheduling them all already. Just a wild guess though.

I am still waiting to hear from VCU but I didn't know they had extended their deadline until Feb 1st. I applied before their Jan 15th deadline. I would really appreciate it if anyone lets me know when they hear from them!!

Applied / Interview / rejected / accepted

Yale Sculpture

Alfred Sculpture

UT Austin Sculpture

VCU Sculpture

Hey! I just had an interview with SVA for Photography and it went extremely well, I am pretty sure from what the professor told me on Zoom, I am going to get an offer this week. 

My decision on going or not going is highly dependent on ability to get funds. I applied to Fafsa several months ago, how do I find out if Fafsa will allot me any funds to go to a specific school or if I am qualified for a work study? Also, is it too late to apply for grants for 2021 fall academic year? Or is it even realistic to think that i can raise around 13k in grants? (I am hoping that I can get an assistantship in SVA and that will shave off half of tuition). I know that I will NEVER take out loans or go into debt in order to afford grad school. 

Hello! I have been stalking the forum for a bit and figured I would post my info. If anyone hears from UCLA or VCU I would appreciate any posted info ?

Yale (Sculpture) - Rejected

U of Chicago - Interview

Alfred (Sculpture/Dimensional Studies) - Interview

VCU (Sculpture) - Waiting

UCLA (Sculpture) - Waiting

Does anyone happen to know anything about Yale's financial aid? I absolutely cannot afford to go to grad school, but from what I hear it's quite generous. Assuming that I make through the interview without bombing, of course. FAFSA and CCS have been an absolute bitch so far. 

25 minutes ago, piers2 said:

Does anyone happen to know anything about Yale's financial aid? I absolutely cannot afford to go to grad school, but from what I hear it's quite generous. Assuming that I make through the interview without bombing, of course. FAFSA and CCS have been an absolute bitch so far. 

I heard they’re pretty generous but a lot of students who couldn’t afford grad school in the past years have started a go fund me page where individuals have generously donated! You could definitely do that! Keep us posted! :) 

6 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Wait. I interviewed with SVA Fine Arts and they said theyll be sending acceptances by 1st April. How come youre getting them in a week?

Sorry I miswrote. I meant that I hope that they will send an acceptance letter soon. All I am asking is if there are ways to get work study, or if I can preemptively see if FAFSA can give me anything

1 hour ago, Finn2021 said:

Hello! I have been stalking the forum for a bit and figured I would post my info. If anyone hears from UCLA or VCU I would appreciate any posted info ?

Yale (Sculpture) - Rejected

U of Chicago - Interview

Alfred (Sculpture/Dimensional Studies) - Interview

VCU (Sculpture) - Waiting

UCLA (Sculpture) - Waiting

Could you tell me when you heard from U of Chicago for an interview? Good luck for your interviews!