Chances of CGS-M or OGS-M at Western University?

beezus123

Need some advice. Would appreciate insight from people who have applied for the CGS-M.

I'm planning to apply for the CGS-M but I don't have that much research experience. I didn't do a thesis but I have one publication in an undergraduate journal (nothing too rigorous). I am currently doing some research with a non-profit (supervised by a prof) but still haven't completed the ethics review so very preliminary. My GPA in the last 2 years of undergrad is nearly a 4.0. I have a prof who is willing to take me on as a master's student and she is helping me develop the proposal, which will be very strong and impactful. Do you think I have a chance to get the CIHR scholarship at Western University, a school that only has 19 CIHR awards? Please help.

Edited by beezus123

2 hours ago, beezus123 said:

Need some advice. Would appreciate insight from people who have applied for the CGS-M.

I'm planning to apply for the CGS-M but I don't have that much research experience. I didn't do a thesis but I have one publication in an undergraduate journal (nothing too rigorous). I am currently doing some research with a non-profit (supervised by a prof) but still haven't completed the ethics review so very preliminary. My GPA in the last 2 years of undergrad is nearly a 4.0. I have a prof who is willing to take me on as a master's student and she is helping me develop the proposal, which will be very strong and impactful. Do you think I have a chance to get the CIHR scholarship at Western University, a school that only has 19 CIHR awards? Please help.

The only way to guarantee you won't get the award is to not apply. I cant speak to CIHR, but I was successful getting CGS-M SSHRC and OGS for my masters. I had a 3.96/4 in my last two years, no publications, but did complete a thesis and had about a year of research experience. Focus on writing an excellent proposal. The proposal is worth a big chunk of your application.