Advice for prospective Clinical psychology PsyD student

Psyched345

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in undergrad, so this is my first time applying to grad school and the process is a bit overwhelming. I was wondering if anyone knew of Clinical Psychology PsyD programs that are well or fully funded? Also, besides faculty/mentor match, what other important factors should I consider when choosing schools to apply. At the moment, I'm choosing based on the cost of living in the area and faculty match. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying!

35 minutes ago, Psyched345 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in undergrad, so this is my first time applying to grad school and the process is a bit overwhelming. I was wondering if anyone knew of Clinical Psychology PsyD programs that are well or fully funded? Also, besides faculty/mentor match, what other important factors should I consider when choosing schools to apply. At the moment, I'm choosing based on the cost of living in the area and faculty match. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying!

Tbh, not a lot of Psy.D places are funded. There are chances to get funding through clinical practicum though! :) You should also consider why the Psy.D and not maters in clinical psych, MFT, or Ph.D. Really think about *why* you want to pursue the Psy.D and what outcomes you want post graduation. 

I'm currently a second year clinical psych student. Feel free to message me if you have more questions! 

As the previous poster said, PsyD programs typically have less funding than PhD programs. However, several programs that are housed within traditional universities such as Rutgers and Baylor provide some form of funding.

Is there a reason you are strictly looking at PsyDs and not PhD programs as well? The notion that PsyDs are for clinicians and PhDs are for researchers is a misconception and reputable PsyD programs require about the same amount of research as balanced PhD programs.

When looking at programs, advisor fit is definitely one of the biggest factors. Other things to look at are funding, practicum opportunities (is there access to populations or settings you may be interested in), and program resources (in-house clinic, testing materials, etc.). You also want to look at APA-accreddited internship match rates and EPPP pass rates (lower numbers are a sign of poor outcomes, which is a red flag). Also, you'd want to get a feel for the program culture, but that is something more evident during interview days/weekends. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, ShiningStargirl said:

Tbh, not a lot of Psy.D places are funded. There are chances to get funding through clinical practicum though! :) You should also consider why the Psy.D and not maters in clinical psych, MFT, or Ph.D. Really think about *why* you want to pursue the Psy.D and what outcomes you want post graduation. 

I'm currently a second year clinical psych student. Feel free to message me if you have more questions! 

I've put a ton of consideration into it and am 100% sure I want to do a PsyD. I just messaged you; I'd love help figuring out who can review my essays!