Hi! I just have a question for y'all. 

I'm working on my personal statement. I'm thinking about including a small paragraph about my late grandmother. She became sick after I graduated with my bachelor's and me and my mother took care of her until she passed on a few years ago. She passed away while I was applying to grad schools for the first time. I decided to continue applying anyway. Honestly I wasn't in the best head space back then, but I'm doing a lot better overall now. Do you think it's relevant to include this in my essay? Would it take away from the whole thing? I know it's not related to the field, but it was an experience that made me stronger as a person.

I'd appreciate advice, feedback, etc. Thanks in advance ?

Edited by Liza_Ann_92
forgot to include tags

I think if you can fit it in then you should do it but not to the point where it might take away from your essay. Like if there’s something specific about the situation mention it briefly and see how you like it or how others like it and if it works for your essay. It’s probably better fit for an essay that specifically asks about a challenge or overcoming something. 

Coincidentally, one of my essay prompts asked me to write about a challenge or problem and describe how I worked through it. I have that essay drafted. If anyone wants to review it, send me a private message :)