GRE for 2021/2022 Cycle?

kat.nat96

Hi all,

I hope you're well. I know this is very early but I am wondering if you think GRE scores will be waived for next fall 2021 applications for clinical and counseling psychology – I know they are this year, but I'm curious about next.

Thanks in advance!

Only one of the schools I'm applying to has explicitly said they won't be requiring it for next cycle. Beyond that, I think it's too soon to say. I'd bet some will, but others won't, especially given the recent vaccine announcement (assuming that works out fine). So if you haven't taken it, I think it's reasonable to start planning on doing so.

Just my $0.02

2 hours ago, kat.nat96 said:

Hi all,

I hope you're well. I know this is very early but I am wondering if you think GRE scores will be waived for next fall 2021 applications for clinical and counseling psychology – I know they are this year, but I'm curious about next.

Thanks in advance!

A few schools off the top of my head that are waiving it for next year are UF & Stony Brook. Not sure about others. Personally, I think they should be waived next year too... and every year after that. :) 

• 1 month later...

I'm also hoping most schools decide to keep it waived, but I have a feeling most will not if COVID starts getting better and life returns to somewhat of a norm. I applied this cycle but am planning to apply 2021 as well, I'll be prepping to take the GRE for next cycle regardless.

10 minutes ago, psycholonoir said:

I'm also hoping most schools decide to keep it waived, but I have a feeling most will not if COVID starts getting better and life returns to somewhat of a norm. I applied this cycle but am planning to apply 2021 as well, I'll be prepping to take the GRE for next cycle regardless.

I tend to think life won’t be normal for a while. It’ll be a long time before the general population can receive the vaccine, which causes more barriers for the GRE. I don’t know if they will, but programs should keep  the GRE at least optional for the next cycle.