What is everyone expecting for 2021 interviews?

Schy

I hate to take up room and create a new thread, but I actually need to have conversation about this lmao. I'm not sure if any schools have said for sure what they're going to do for interviews, but I think it's safe to suspect that they'll be 100% virtual. How do yall feel about this? Do you think you'll benefit from it? How do you think the structure of interviews will be? I've been to an interview ONCE and it was a whole day process, so I'm wondering how they'll format everything virtually. 

I'm really curious about everyone elses thoughts! 

Edited by Schy

We haven't heard anything specific from faculty here, other than that they are still taking on students - but I would say it's safe to assume that everything will be virtual. I would guess you could expect one on one with some faculty, and be prepared for a possible group interview format with other candidates, with lab members, or both.  I know it's not super helpful. It's possible that, if things change tremendously in the US after January, that there could be in-person campus visits in late spring, like late March or April, or maybe even after the April 15 acceptance date, for candidates who have accepted offers, though. I wouldn't completely count those out yet!

11 hours ago, Randi S said:

We haven't heard anything specific from faculty here, other than that they are still taking on students - but I would say it's safe to assume that everything will be virtual. I would guess you could expect one on one with some faculty, and be prepared for a possible group interview format with other candidates, with lab members, or both.  I know it's not super helpful. It's possible that, if things change tremendously in the US after January, that there could be in-person campus visits in late spring, like late March or April, or maybe even after the April 15 acceptance date, for candidates who have accepted offers, though. I wouldn't completely count those out yet!

I agree! As much as I'd like to meet everyone in person, I think doing things virtually has its own advantages. Although I know it's going to feel clunky for some, especially if your wifi decides to go in and out. Maybe there'll be a significant change with these vaccines coming out, but I don't want to get my hopes up yet! 

I think most of the programs I'm applying to have already specified they will be holding virtual interviews. Usually interviews happen in late January/early February for psych programs, so I can't imagine them changing their minds at this point. I think interview weekend prep and coordination takes a long time. I personally hope they don't try to do huge group meetings with multiple applicants because I think that would be super difficult. Otherwise, I think meetings with PIs and other faculty should be fairly comparable. 

I personally find it to be bittersweet - I'm really happy I don't have to pay for travel expenses and stay in an unfamiliar place, but I am going to miss the social events and the chance to meet a ton of people from the program. I do want to see where I'd be living, too. I think if I get offers from any places, I might try to travel to them before accepting. I know location isn't the most important, but I will be moving with my husband so making sure he is happy is very important to me! 

22 hours ago, justacigar said:

I think most of the programs I'm applying to have already specified they will be holding virtual interviews. Usually interviews happen in late January/early February for psych programs, so I can't imagine them changing their minds at this point. I think interview weekend prep and coordination takes a long time. I personally hope they don't try to do huge group meetings with multiple applicants because I think that would be super difficult. Otherwise, I think meetings with PIs and other faculty should be fairly comparable. 

I personally find it to be bittersweet - I'm really happy I don't have to pay for travel expenses and stay in an unfamiliar place, but I am going to miss the social events and the chance to meet a ton of people from the program. I do want to see where I'd be living, too. I think if I get offers from any places, I might try to travel to them before accepting. I know location isn't the most important, but I will be moving with my husband so making sure he is happy is very important to me! 

I have the same feeling about it being bittersweet. Experiencing the culture of the program is so much fun and quite honestly...vital to deciding if you want to accept an offer. So I think your idea of visiting if you get an offer is a fantastic one. I'm going to have to say I'll be doing the same. 

On 11/18/2020 at 1:43 PM, Schy said:

I hate to take up room and create a new thread, but I actually need to have conversation about this lmao. I'm not sure if any schools have said for sure what they're going to do for interviews, but I think it's safe to suspect that they'll be 100% virtual. How do yall feel about this? Do you think you'll benefit from it? How do you think the structure of interviews will be? I've been to an interview ONCE and it was a whole day process, so I'm wondering how they'll format everything virtually. 

I'm really curious about everyone elses thoughts! 

Some of the programs I applied to have sent emails after submitting applications confirming they will be doing virtual interviews as well as programing with the current grad students and professors as they would have in person. I have seen a few schools that seem to be considering in person as well, and the rest haven't updated the interview schedule and details on their sites as of yet.

"The selected applicants will be invited to interview via Zoom and participate in programming with faculty and current students. Our interview dates are currently set for Wednesday, March 3 through Saturday, March 6, 2021, but may shift. This is our only interview session. All applicants will be notified of the decision on their application by the end of January." this was attached to Stanford's  email confirming application submission.

"Applicants who are determined to be among the most qualified will be invited to participate in a Virtual Interview.  These will be held from January through March." this is what UMASS med sent as well.

I feel safer doing virtual interviews with the pandemic but I know I interview better in person and I get wary about connection issues and not being able to see the schools before making a decision of where to attend.

Thanks for starting this thread! I haven't heard anything from my schools just yet, but I assume they will definitely be conducting interviews online. However, in person interviews are so much more than just the interviews itself - we get to tour the campus, attend some info sessions, meet with faculty, meet with doctoral students, eat free food, and more. The interviews will probably be really easy to transition to an online format. I'm curious to see what they will do for the rest of the regularly scheduled things if not completely just getting rid of them completely for this cycle. 

50 minutes ago, pomegranateleaves said:

Thanks for starting this thread! I haven't heard anything from my schools just yet, but I assume they will definitely be conducting interviews online. However, in person interviews are so much more than just the interviews itself - we get to tour the campus, attend some info sessions, meet with faculty, meet with doctoral students, eat free food, and more. The interviews will probably be really easy to transition to an online format. I'm curious to see what they will do for the rest of the regularly scheduled things if not completely just getting rid of them completely for this cycle. 

Hopefully we all get to find out very soon heheh.........fingers crossed for all of us! It's certainly going to be an interesting experience.