Looking for sociology programs that are strong in historical and qualitative methods

julesevar

I am seeking programs that aren't focused on statistics. Any good suggestions for programs that focus more on historical and qualitative methods?  So far I like what I have seen in the curriculum in the New School and Binghampton University. My ultimate goal is to get a PhD, but masters programs are ok as well with me.  

My interests include political sociology, gender and theory (modern, postmodern and queer). 

If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know and thank you! - Jules

Unfortunately the #1 suggestion I'd normally give here would be UC Berkeley, but they're not accepting apps this year. So I'll plug UCI since there are certainly plenty of good qualitative and political sociologists. Michigan is pretty balanced. NYU (PhD, not the MA) is also solid. Also check out UC Santa Cruz Gender Studies. I know some people with your interests who were considering UCLA but I'm not as familiar with their political sociologists so can't vouch for that.

Oh, and MA-wise, Brandeis has a Sociology/Women's Studies joint MA program!

Edited by lkaitlyn

1 hour ago, draco.malfoy said:

Yale, 100% WIth Gorski, Adams, and Wyrtzen for historical sociology, Rene Almeling and Alka Menon for qual methods, and then the dual PhD program in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies, it seems like a great fit.

Can't believe I forgot this. ?‍♀️

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 12:30 PM, julesevar said:

I am seeking programs that aren't focused on statistics. Any good suggestions for programs that focus more on historical and qualitative methods?  So far I like what I have seen in the curriculum in the New School and Binghampton University. My ultimate goal is to get a PhD, but masters programs are ok as well with me.  

My interests include political sociology, gender and theory (modern, postmodern and queer). 

If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know and thank you! - Jules

If you end up applying to programs next year, at WSU, Kmec has been known to chair committees for students doing historical/document analysis type research (or, at least, I know of one student who recently graduated). Otherwise I seriously suggest you consider a PhD in Anthropology. They share a lot of theory with Sociology, but you'll find far more emphasis on history, context, and culture-- and huge emphasis and excellent training in qualitative methods (multiple courses likely offered and field schools to practice before its your thesis or dissertation on the line). I have grad degrees in both/know the differences well. Hope this helps! 

22 hours ago, THS said:

If you end up applying to programs next year, at WSU, Kmec has been known to chair committees for students doing historical/document analysis type research (or, at least, I know of one student who recently graduated). Otherwise I seriously suggest you consider a PhD in Anthropology. They share a lot of theory with Sociology, but you'll find far more emphasis on history, context, and culture-- and huge emphasis and excellent training in qualitative methods (multiple courses likely offered and field schools to practice before its your thesis or dissertation on the line). I have grad degrees in both/know the differences well. Hope this helps! 

WSU looks good. Thanks for responding. 

I'd like to propose CUNY Graduate Center, since I feel that at least half of the core faculty are qual. In fact half of my cohort specializes in political sociology or gender issues now. There are several qual workshops organized by students or faculties, including a society and protest workshop. The department also has a historical analysis course and a couple of qual courses in the department every semester.  You can simultaneously get a Women Studies or Critical Studies certificate offered by the Graduate Center(open to all phd students), too. One more plus, you can take ANY related course in other departments within the school or the consortium universities (Princeton, Rutgers, NYU, New School, etc).

23 hours ago, socio1251 said:

I'd like to propose CUNY Graduate Center, since I feel that at least half of the core faculty are qual. In fact half of my cohort specializes in political sociology or gender issues now. There are several qual workshops organized by students or faculties, including a society and protest workshop. The department also has a historical analysis course and a couple of qual courses in the department every semester.  You can simultaneously get a Women Studies or Critical Studies certificate offered by the Graduate Center(open to all phd students), too. One more plus, you can take ANY related course in other departments within the school or the consortium universities (Princeton, Rutgers, NYU, New School, etc).

Edited by julesevar
didn't post response

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 10:11 AM, socio1251 said:

CUNY is good on quali studies... but I'm not so sure about historical studies. Many of CUNY's researches evolve around NYC itself (studies on urban and immigration are the two subjects immediately pop up).  

I'd have to second @THS on this, you may have better luck in the anthropology department.   

Oh and also check out UChicago, quali has kind of been their tradition 

good luck!