How to judge the selectivity of PhD programs?

hassanJD

Hello Everyone! 

I’m currently a senior at a liberal arts college planning on applying to PhD programs for Fall 2021. While searching through programs, I’m unsure on how to accurately gauge how competitive/selective each program is. I’m looking at continental philosophy programs, and while I’m mostly applying to competitive ones (depaul, penn state, stony brook etc.) I’d like to find some ‘safety’ programs that would be relatively easier to place into just incase none of the tier1 continental programs take me. So, if anyone has feedback on ‘safety’ programs that are more continental in focus, or any general advice on how to judge the selectivity of a program, I’d love to hear it! 

Honestly, they're all competitive. I've heard Texas A&M is sometimes suggested as a back up for continental leaning applicants, but I don't know to what extent that's true. All I know about Texas A&M is that they're hosting SPEP 2022.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, UndergradDad said:

There are no Phd safety schools: that is an undergrad thing. Closest thing to a grad safety school would be an unfunded MA.

This is true. I am a MA at Duquesne. We accept 4 PhDs out of maybe 120-150 apps per year. This is typical of pretty much every program, even ones on PGR.

Wouldn't Dallas' (Univ. of Dallas) program have to be fairly less selective by its nature? Maybe even borderline safety. IPS maxes an incoming student's stipend at $3,500 last I spoke with the director. Most second, and onward, students have to compete for living stipends from various foundations and scholarships. The students that I've spoken with have said they've taken jobs teaching philosophy and/or religion at local private schools in order to pay rent and not starve.

3 hours ago, xypathos said:

Wouldn't Dallas' (Univ. of Dallas) program have to be fairly less selective by its nature? Maybe even borderline safety. IPS maxes an incoming student's stipend at $3,500 last I spoke with the director. Most second, and onward, students have to compete for living stipends from various foundations and scholarships. The students that I've spoken with have said they've taken jobs teaching philosophy and/or religion at local private schools in order to pay rent and not starve.

I think "there are no safety schools" should be understood as "there are no safety schools among the programs worth attending." With a funding structure like that (not to mention that I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone talk about Dallas's PhD program in philosophy), I'd be inclined to say it falls in the category of programs not worth attending.