"Recommended for Admission"

Hello, 

I have interviewed twice with a PI at one of the schools I applied to and at the end of my second interview she informed me that she would be recommending me for admission. I know this isn't an official, but I am a bit confused because there is a virtual department interview in January. 

Does anyone have experience with this and know what it means? We were already planning first year projects, but then there another interview?

Thank you!

Congrats! 

I have zero idea, but it sounds like your PI is going to tell the admissions committee its a yes to you, but it also may not be 100% up to her, so she will tell them her thoughts and they may shift you the to "yes" pile? That would be my interpretation of it! 

I think this is the common language used when they are saying they like you and want you be in the program but there are still more official hoops to jump through. I know that with the programs I applied to they all used that type of language to say they had recommended me for admission. I've got a recent example because I recently added a MA program to my plan of study during my PhD. 

Screenshot:

rec+example.jpg

So you having been told this sounds like good news, to me, and that at the very least like you can expect to be interviewing in January. Congrats!

Depending on how the school's admission process works, it can mean recommending to the committee (it's a departmental decision) or the college where the department is housed (basically a formality as the college issues the official acceptance and takes the departmental decision as is). If your PI is the one with an external grant, basically she has the final say. If your PI's funding comes from the department, there are typically two scenarios. 

1. Your PI is assigned funding this year. She is allowed to choose a student they want. 
2. It is a departmental decision and applicants are rank-ordered at the faculty meeting. Your PI's recommendation will still push you up.

However, as she was already planning first year projects with you, I would assume that she can actually choose you. It is always safe to wait til the final confirmation/acceptance letter but congratulations!