Breaking Rules?

cbsag123

I just got done writing my SOP for one of the school's I'm applying to, and I just now realized this school is asking applicants to submit an SOP that's 2 pages double spaced or less. The one I wrote is 2 pages single spaced. To fit my research interests, experience, and future goals all in 2 pages double spaced I'd have to cut more than half of my existing statement, so I'm wondering how common it is for applicants to "make mistakes" and just submit an SOP that doesn't entirely adhere to the university's standards? I feel like my application will be much weaker if I only submit half of my SOP...

I agree with @feralgrad.

And, as someone who has had to adjust papers at the halved rate, I definitely recommend opening up a new document and starting from scratch. Maybe jot down one bullet point per paragraph before you begin to help you cover your basic points, but it is waayyyy easier trying to meet a "new page goal" than it is to cut half of an entire SOP when you've just spent several days crafting each sentence so carefully. 

It stinks. But we believe in you.

To me, a statement that's double what is allowed just sends a terrible signal - that you're a person who thinks s/he entitled to special treatment and who thinks s/he's not bound by any rules (I'm not saying this about you personally, just in general). You can hope nobody will notice, but honestly, why take such a risk? 

19 hours ago, cbsag123 said:

I feel like my application will be much weaker if I only submit half of my SOP...

It's not either/or. If you dig deep down and find a way to write more efficiently you can do more with less. You can do it!