Fall 2021: Ivy League Offers/Rejections (PhD Programs - Anthropology)

gomes

4 hours ago, cheshire said:

Google Kalyanakrishnan Sivaramakrishnan. He is known as Shivi. 

I have been around for a while. I did my masters in 2011 and taught for about a decade. Have decent publications and research with impact. I am aware European phds take shorter time. But my consideration for PhD is 1) POI 2) Department brand 3) Duration. 

Europe is too white for my proposed area of research, though I AM applying to one program in Europe (Heidelberg) which has a good South Asia focus. My choice is UK (have applied to both Cambridge and Oxford). Rest are Harvard, Princeton and Yale. Barring Yale rest are all history programs. 

In the event none of these work out, I am happy to do a PhD in my home country. 

So far as I know, Oxbridge hardly offers any internal funding unless you apply to some country-specific scholarships or external funding bodies - provided that you're eligible. In the event, you get in and they don't offer you funding. Are you willing to self-fund your PhD?

5 hours ago, lhenrym said:

No... In Europe it's a lot different. 

First, in the PhD programs in Europe you do not get an MA, but should have one in the discipline you aks the PhD.

Secondly, if it is written 3y on the papers, most of the (good) researchers do their PhD in 5 or more years. The thing is, you have to justify every year after the third one why you want to do another, and you even have to make a new application each extending year.

Are you implying that US PhD is superior to European PhD? But the quality eventually depends on the abilities of the researcher in question - not to mention his/her seriousness and passion.

5 minutes ago, Ben Gary said:

Are you implying that US PhD is superior to European PhD? But the quality eventually depends on the abilities of the researcher in question - not to mention his/her seriousness and passion.

No, not all, absolutely not haha.

I just mean that European systems (Uk excepted) is really different. And even in Europe, each State has its own kind.

A PhD in Europe in three years because you have to get an MA before the PhD, while in the US you get an MA during your PhD. 

Even applications are really different. There are two cases: or you apply for a PhD on a particular subject, or you choose one, the former being more frequent in Nordic countries, the latter in France, for instance. In both cases you have to present, in your application, your dissertation project which is from 10p to 20. Finally, you have to find a supervisor before applying. 

I really do not think that one is better than the other. As you say it depends a lot on what you want to do.

But I'd say, from what I hear, by comparaison with France, is that in the US you're far more integrated in a department. In France many PhD student have few or no connection at all with their department, doing their dissertation on their own - but there are may be more link between departments. France being smaller, there are a lot of connection between the universities, all the more that all of them are public, and a few semi-public. I, myself, is now in a PhD preparatory year in Paris giving classes in Evry and Lille.

Moreover, the division in the social science is really different. Anthropologist from the US would not be consider like that in some European country. In the same way, many sociologists, historians and politics in Europe would be considered as Anthropologist in the US. Both my past advisors are Historian and Politics but are considered as anthropologist in the US.

25 minutes ago, Ben Gary said:

So far as I know, Oxbridge hardly offers any internal funding unless you apply to some country-specific scholarships or external funding bodies - provided that you're eligible. In the event, you get in and they don't offer you funding. Are you willing to self-fund your PhD?

There is limited funding in Oxbridge. Cambridge has Gates Cambridge, Cambridge Trust and the usual. Oxford has fewer. And there are some country specific scholarships as well.

And no, I am not willing to self fund my PhD. I don't have the money to do that ? and even if I had, self funded PhDs are not respected much.

2 hours ago, lhenrym said:

No, not all, absolutely not haha.

I just mean that European systems (Uk excepted) is really different. And even in Europe, each State has its own kind.

A PhD in Europe in three years because you have to get an MA before the PhD, while in the US you get an MA during your PhD. 

Even applications are really different. There are two cases: or you apply for a PhD on a particular subject, or you choose one, the former being more frequent in Nordic countries, the latter in France, for instance. In both cases you have to present, in your application, your dissertation project which is from 10p to 20. Finally, you have to find a supervisor before applying. 

I really do not think that one is better than the other. As you say it depends a lot on what you want to do.

But I'd say, from what I hear, by comparaison with France, is that in the US you're far more integrated in a department. In France many PhD student have few or no connection at all with their department, doing their dissertation on their own - but there are may be more link between departments. France being smaller, there are a lot of connection between the universities, all the more that all of them are public, and a few semi-public. I, myself, is now in a PhD preparatory year in Paris giving classes in Evry and Lille.

Moreover, the division in the social science is really different. Anthropologist from the US would not be consider like that in some European country. In the same way, many sociologists, historians and politics in Europe would be considered as Anthropologist in the US. Both my past advisors are Historian and Politics but are considered as anthropologist in the US.

Yes, the disciplinary identities can be tricky across regions. But it's remarkable how the US folks get to define who is who.

2 hours ago, cheshire said:

There is limited funding in Oxbridge. Cambridge has Gates Cambridge, Cambridge Trust and the usual. Oxford has fewer. And there are some country specific scholarships as well.

And no, I am not willing to self fund my PhD. I don't have the money to do that ? and even if I had, self funded PhDs are not respected much.

Agreed. I think the universities should not even offer unfunded PhD positions to international students. It's strange and sad that they often do that.

16 hours ago, HKSS22 said:

Hey everyone

Saw on the results page three more interview emails for Stanford.

Anyone got any updates? Someone claiming them?

I have no idea. I have not applied at Stanford. But I guess all the top grad schools will release results sometime in February. Hold tight!