Fall 2021: Ivy League Offers/Rejections (PhD Programs - Anthropology)

gomes

• gomes changed the title to Fall 2021: Ivy League Offers/Rejections (PhD Programs - Anthropology)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My GF, who is in cognitive science (department of psycho or linguistic), told me that John Hopkins sent her an e-mail for interview two weeks after she saw someone received one. So it does not absolutly mean smth.

Gathered that some folks have received emails from Yale about interview (anthro). All I have is radio silence since I submitted my application. Anxious. Yale is the only anthro program I applied to. Rest of my applications are tailored for a history program.

21 minutes ago, cheshire said:

Gathered that some folks have received emails from Yale about interview (anthro). All I have is radio silence since I submitted my application. Anxious. Yale is the only anthro program I applied to. Rest of my applications are tailored for a history program.

btw, given the choice, which one would you choose? anthro or history?

6 minutes ago, Ben Gary said:

btw, given the choice, which one would you choose? anthro or history?

history. it isn't so much about the disciplines, but more about what I am comfortable with. i have a training in law, have a fair bit of teaching and research experience in legal history as well as legal anthro. but i am drawn more towards legal history. i chose anthro in yale only because i wanted to work with a supervisor whose work i really like. in general the number of years an average anthro phd takes to finish is a bit of a put off.

Just now, cheshire said:

history. it isn't so much about the disciplines, but more about what I am comfortable with. i have a training in law, have a fair bit of teaching and research experience in legal history as well as legal anthro. but i am drawn more towards legal history. i chose anthro in yale only because i wanted to work with a supervisor whose work i really like. in general the number of years an average anthro phd takes to finish is a bit of a put off.

I see. How long does it take in average years for one to complete a history PhD?

3 hours ago, cheshire said:

i chose anthro in yale only because i wanted to work with a supervisor whose work i really like. 

Who is s/he?

Edited by lhenrym

9 hours ago, Ben Gary said:

I see. How long does it take in average years for one to complete a history PhD?

I have known folks who have completed in 4. 5 is standard. anthro i am told takes at least a year longer at most places.

5 hours ago, cheshire said:

I have known folks who have completed in 4. 5 is standard. anthro i am told takes at least a year longer at most places.

It's just 3 years in Europe. You should have applied in a couple of European PhD programs as well.

14 minutes ago, Ben Gary said:

It's just 3 years in Europe. You should have applied in a couple of European PhD programs as well.

No... In Europe it's a lot different. 

First, in the PhD programs in Europe you do not get an MA, but should have one in the discipline you aks the PhD.

Secondly, if it is written 3y on the papers, most of the (good) researchers do their PhD in 5 or more years. The thing is, you have to justify every year after the third one why you want to do another, and you even have to make a new application each extending year.

24 minutes ago, Ben Gary said:

By the way, the applications in Europe begin in March until October, so you still got time.

2 minutes ago, lhenrym said:

? There is no Shivi in the faculty of the department of Anthropology of Yale..

Google Kalyanakrishnan Sivaramakrishnan. He is known as Shivi. 

I have been around for a while. I did my masters in 2011 and taught for about a decade. Have decent publications and research with impact. I am aware European phds take shorter time. But my consideration for PhD is 1) POI 2) Department brand 3) Duration. 

Europe is too white for my proposed area of research, though I AM applying to one program in Europe (Heidelberg) which has a good South Asia focus. My choice is UK (have applied to both Cambridge and Oxford). Rest are Harvard, Princeton and Yale. Barring Yale rest are all history programs. 

In the event none of these work out, I am happy to do a PhD in my home country.