2021 EEB PhD Admissions Results

behavioral_ecology

On 1/26/2021 at 5:17 PM, Evo_Bio said:

Yeah, they've already sent out interview invites

Thanks for letting me know this..... ?    Got some good feedback when interviewing with the PI so I thought I might have some good results this time.... It seems that I was just day dreaming.... 

Does anyone hear from Duke?  

1 hour ago, behavioral_ecology said:

Well......I'm sitting at 6 NO's, 1 interview, and 3 unknowns.

Any word from U of Oklahoma Biology, Davis Animal Behavior, or Davis Ecology?

I have not heard a peep from Davis Animal Behavior myself.

@Medinari I am so happy to have seen you respond to my post! You are the only other person on here and on Reddit I know of who also applied to Davis Animal Behavior. I guess it's a small program, but let's definitely keep each other informed!

This is an email that the program coordinator sent me on January 19 after I asked for an update:

"Thanks for your application and asking! Yes, the pandemic certainly threw everyone off and know that as we speak, the committee is working on reviewing the apps and selecting students to invite. I would say by the end of this week or the beginning of next, we should have invites out. Best of luck!"

Unfortunately, I am worried that this is bad news for me since I haven't heard back by now. And I don't want to send her another follow-up email quite yet. 

On 2/1/2021 at 11:43 AM, BirdEvo said:

Looks like there are some interviews for RGGS posted on the results page.

Not sure how if it includes the CUNY fellowships though...

Hi there-- I received an interview with RGGS, but it was specifically for the comparative biology Ph.D. program. No mention of CUNY fellowships in the email (to which I also applied).

@behavioral_ecology For sure! We are a small but mighty interdisciplinary field. ?

My expectations of possible acceptance were pretty low for the AB UC-Davis program since it was the only one I applied to where I never heard back from the PI I want to work with when I reached out.  The hope is of course still there until I hear otherwise!

My personal goal it is to wait until 2/12 before I start following up with any programs, so we'll see if I can maintain my patience. I'll let you know what I hear back it I reach out, or if I can any other updates! All of the other programs I applied to this cycle were for biological anthropology (I'm mostly but not exclusively primate focused) and even the ones where I had some good back-and-forth correspondence prior to applying have been radio silent and it's driving me batty.

44 minutes ago, herpevo said:

Hi there-- I received an interview with RGGS, but it was specifically for the comparative biology Ph.D. program. No mention of CUNY fellowships in the email (to which I also applied).

Interesting, thanks for the info! Good luck in your interview!!

Who are you hoping to work with? I'm assuming someone in herpetology?

9 minutes ago, BirdEvo said:

Interesting, thanks for the info! Good luck in your interview!!

Who are you hoping to work with? I'm assuming someone in herpetology?

Thanks, I appreciate that! I'll keep you posted on CUNY. Hopefully we'll both receive an email from them soon.

I mentioned two PIs in my application (FB & CR). What about you?

4 minutes ago, herpevo said:

Thanks, I appreciate that! I'll keep you posted on CUNY. Hopefully we'll both receive an email from them soon.

I mentioned two PIs in my application (FB & CR). What about you?

Agreed! But not holding my breath - I know how competitive it is (worked at AMNH for 7+ years and have lots of friends that have gone through the program).

I figured those would be the two! CR has always been really nice to me, we've had some good turtle conversations! A few of my friends have been in their labs (idk if you already talked to lots of current/former students or not, but feel free to DM me if you want to talk to them).

I applied to work with BS, but also mentioned JC.

12 minutes ago, BirdEvo said:

Agreed! But not holding my breath - I know how competitive it is (worked at AMNH for 7+ years and have lots of friends that have gone through the program).

I figured those would be the two! CR has always been really nice to me, we've had some good turtle conversations! A few of my friends have been in their labs (idk if you already talked to lots of current/former students or not, but feel free to DM me if you want to talk to them).

I applied to work with BS, but also mentioned JC.

Okay, gotcha! That's good to hear about CR. It is very competitive, which is why I was surprised when I received the email. We'll see how it all goes...

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind. I really do hope they reach out to you for the fellowship.

3 hours ago, behavioral_ecology said:

@Medinari I am so happy to have seen you respond to my post! You are the only other person on here and on Reddit I know of who also applied to Davis Animal Behavior. I guess it's a small program, but let's definitely keep each other informed!

This is an email that the program coordinator sent me on January 19 after I asked for an update:

"Thanks for your application and asking! Yes, the pandemic certainly threw everyone off and know that as we speak, the committee is working on reviewing the apps and selecting students to invite. I would say by the end of this week or the beginning of next, we should have invites out. Best of luck!"

Unfortunately, I am worried that this is bad news for me since I haven't heard back by now. And I don't want to send her another follow-up email quite yet. 

UC Davis Ecology and Animal Behavior interview invites went out last week. :(

31 minutes ago, behavioral_ecology said:

@crochetdog Oh no. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any results posted here for Ecology since it's such a big program. Thank you for that update. Congrats of course on getting your invites! Best of luck!

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

6 hours ago, herpevo said:

Nope! Nothing posted in the results page either.

2 hours ago, notcharlesdarwin said:

Nothing so far either. My guess is that the whole process is delayed a little bit because of the delay in the RGGS Fellowship timeline as well. Does anyone know when the interviews for those are?

Under CUNY Biology on the results page, someone got an unofficial acceptance from a POI today, saying next week official letters go out. Could be same program as us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow EEBs, just thought I would give you all an update! I never heard from CUNY... so not looking good for me there. But I have three offers from University of Southern California, University of Kansas and University of Chicago. They are all really great options, Chicago was my first choice going into this so I am leaning towards Chicago right now. I really hope you all get good news - this was a brutal year!!