Hey guys, I hope you are doing well this season!

I am an international applicant and I have just submitted two application for comp. lit.  Unfortunately, when I reviewed my application materials (I wish I didn't!!) I realized that I forgot to delete one subtitle of my first chapter(1.1 xxx), in which I was intended to make it a integrated chapter without any sub-sector; and of course, that extra sub-title doesn't appear in the content!! I am so frustrated right now, I can't believe I did this!?

I have looked through many threads about mistakes or typos in application material, some suggests that since making mistakes is what everyone does, so there is no need to worry about that. But I am not sure if having an extra subtitle is way more serious than I imagined. Would you please give me some suggestions on whether should I contact the department and ask for the possibility of substituting a corrected version of my ws for the wrong one? Thank you so much!

You're fine; I don't think WS are read that carefully that any readers will be confused by it. Even if they do, they are most likely to realize it was a mistake because a lot of people send adapted WSs and they'll move on. It does not reflect on your ability as a writer or a thinker, and scholars at all levels make proof-reading mistakes. It's fine, try to relax.

If you feel like doing something will make you feel better, you can just send an email to say something like "hey I just realized I forgot to delete this; it's there because originally this was X, sorry for the confusion". Personally, I don't think this is worth it. Whoever receives the email is probably going to just ignore it because it's insignificant and if they don't, that means they have to send an adapted copy to the readers.

I really don't think this is worth the hassle.

7 hours ago, WildeThing said:

You're fine; I don't think WS are read that carefully that any readers will be confused by it. Even if they do, they are most likely to realize it was a mistake because a lot of people send adapted WSs and they'll move on. It does not reflect on your ability as a writer or a thinker, and scholars at all levels make proof-reading mistakes. It's fine, try to relax.

If you feel like doing something will make you feel better, you can just send an email to say something like "hey I just realized I forgot to delete this; it's there because originally this was X, sorry for the confusion". Personally, I don't think this is worth it. Whoever receives the email is probably going to just ignore it because it's insignificant and if they don't, that means they have to send an adapted copy to the readers.

I really don't think this is worth the hassle.

Thank you so much for your advice and kind words, that's  really comforting.

I guess I'll just try to relax and quit sending an mail, hope that version goes well too.

• 3 weeks later...

To be completely honest, I wouldn't worry about it. It happens to everyone. I even found a typo in my advisor's dissertation on their acknowledgments page. Believe me, I was so obsessive when it came to reviewing my WS and SOP. I looked over them I don't even know how many times. It was ridiculous. Haha. But once you submit them, you forget and then the time comes for acceptances/rejections. 

You'll be fine. I wish you the best of luck, and I know you'll get into a program that you are the best fit for!

—The Maritime Scholar

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 3:18 PM, The Maritime Scholar said:

To be completely honest, I wouldn't worry about it. It happens to everyone. I even found a typo in my advisor's dissertation on their acknowledgments page. Believe me, I was so obsessive when it came to reviewing my WS and SOP. I looked over them I don't even know how many times. It was ridiculous. Haha. But once you submit them, you forget and then the time comes for acceptances/rejections. 

You'll be fine. I wish you the best of luck, and I know you'll get into a program that you are the best fit for!

—The Maritime Scholar

Sorry for my delayed reply! Your kindness really made my day :)

I sincerely wish you all all all the best, too!