IHEID( Graduate Institute, Geneva) 2021-2022 applicants

poon

Masters and PhD applicants applying to IHEID, let's share our experiences and thoughts about the applications. I am applying for MIA, waiting for the result. :)

Edited by poon

6 hours ago, poon said:

Congratulations!!! Are you going to accept it?

Thanks! I already accepted it so I don't lose my spot, but I won't hear back from my first choice until March. Then again, my first choice is a huge reach (Harvard lol) and IHEID was my second choice so this is probably where I'll end up and that's a pretty solid result in my book. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, poon said:

The result comes out in mid March. 

Thank you! There is one closed Facebook group for admitted students this year. I check there :D not inside though but 4 people was joined last week that`s why I thought maybe some results are out already but maybe they are from the first round.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:56 AM, Parl Kolanyi said:

Hello everyone! I applied for IR/PS MA program at IHEID. I'm very anxious about the admission process, it is one of my top choices ? Is there anyone applied for the same program?

I applied to same program :) What`s your background if may I ask out of curiosity? :)

On 1/13/2021 at 6:55 AM, scholarloading said:

Hi! Same here! Quick question about the app--does the motivation letter need to be in a cover letter format or just normal essay format? Thanks!

Hey, I don't know if I'm late to answer this but there are mixed opinions about this. Many people feel a motivation letter should be in a letter format (including a lot of applicants for MDev 2021). However, personally, I feel that it is unnecessary and wastes words and that it's okay to write it in an essay format as well (sans the "Dear" and "Regards/Yours sincerely" etc.). A friend of mine got in last year and she'd submitted an essay itself, so I'm hoping it works!

1 hour ago, obscurelyalpha said:

Hey, I don't know if I'm late to answer this but there are mixed opinions about this. Many people feel a motivation letter should be in a letter format (including a lot of applicants for MDev 2021). However, personally, I feel that it is unnecessary and wastes words and that it's okay to write it in an essay format as well (sans the "Dear" and "Regards/Yours sincerely" etc.). A friend of mine got in last year and she'd submitted an essay itself, so I'm hoping it works!

I think in some countries it's customary to write it in a cover letter format (e.g. France) and some in an essay format (e.g. the UK). I reckon as the institute is so international that there's not a strict form that the letter should be written in. 

12 minutes ago, poon said:

I think in some countries it's customary to write it in a cover letter format (e.g. France) and some in an essay format (e.g. the UK). I reckon as the institute is so international that there's not a strict form that the letter should be written in. 

Ah, I see! I guess it works out well for me since I applied to places in UK but not France. :P

On a related note, one page on the IHEID website does refer to it as statement of purpose as well, so I guess they're okay with essays too.

"...Our selection committees give priority consideration to academic achievement and motivation. Academic achievement is documented using transcripts and recommendations. Motivation factors should be clarified in the cover letter/statement of purpose..." (https://www.graduateinstitute.ch/application)

Edited by obscurelyalpha

Hello! Has anyone applied to the Interdisciplinary Master in Development Studies? This is the only masters program I've applied to and the waiting game has been quite nerve racking. 

5 hours ago, Mia. said:

Hello! Has anyone applied to the Interdisciplinary Master in Development Studies? This is the only masters program I've applied to and the waiting game has been quite nerve racking. 

I know!!! I applied to other masters programmes but this is the only one that I want to go to. Three weeks to go. 

On 2/16/2021 at 5:23 PM, obscurelyalpha said:

Ah, I see! I guess it works out well for me since I applied to places in UK but not France. :P

On a related note, one page on the IHEID website does refer to it as statement of purpose as well, so I guess they're okay with essays too.

"...Our selection committees give priority consideration to academic achievement and motivation. Academic achievement is documented using transcripts and recommendations. Motivation factors should be clarified in the cover letter/statement of purpose..." (https://www.graduateinstitute.ch/application)

What programme did you apply to? and is the institute your first choice?

1 hour ago, poon said:

What programme did you apply to? and is the institute your first choice?

I applied for the Development Studies programme. It's amongst my top 3 choices -- depends on scholarships/financial aid etc. Although IHEID is relatively inexpensive, Geneva isn't. So I have to wait on scholarship applications etc. before deciding.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:26 AM, Parl Kolanyi said:

Hello everyone! I applied for IR/PS MA program at IHEID. I'm very anxious about the admission process, it is one of my top choices ? Is there anyone applied for the same program?

Hey!

I have applied to the same course. I am hoping to get the result by mid-March (though my referee sent the LOR very late). I have an offer from Hertie School, Berlin, but waiting to hear from 3 (incl. IHEID) more Unis :(

I'm also waiting for IHEID with a lot of hope...

Are they known for being generous with financial aid?

I applied to the Master in International Economics, and am hoping to do the PhD fast track option once I get in.

If I was admitted to the Masters in International Econ but didn't apply to the PhD fast track, is it possible for that path to still be available for me? Like, can I speak with faculty when I'm there and maybe get on that track starting in the second semester?

3 hours ago, 2711383 said:

If I was admitted to the Masters in International Econ but didn't apply to the PhD fast track, is it possible for that path to still be available for me? Like, can I speak with faculty when I'm there and maybe get on that track starting in the second semester?

Message one of the admins on the Facebook group? They'll be happy to help or direct you to the correct person(s). :)