Mechanical Engineering - Chance me for UF and GT?

antoniojosh123

Hey guys! I am a Mechanical Engineering (major) and Math (minor) student who goes to UCF for undergrad. I am, however, out of state and from Georgia. My #1 choice of getting my masters is at Georgia Tech but I have UCF as a backup since I am in their BS-MS program. I also applied to UF to have the choice of three graduate schools. Thus, I have taken two graduate courses (applied mathematical methods for engineers and turbines for sustainable power). I also intern at one of the world's top gas turbine producers and have been here for 1 yr and 3 months.  I'm also a Resident Assistant and have been in ASME & Mech Eng Honor Society. On top of this, I did some volunteering that I connected to my aspirations in engineering in my SOP. Idk if it matters for GT, but I'm a resident of Georgia.

Tldr: Applying to UF, UCF, GT.

Thank you!

Applied to: 
Applied to UF, UCF, and GT. I am in the UCF BS-MS program, so my acceptance is certified.

Undergrad Institution: UCF Mechanical Engineering

Undergrad Major: Mechanical Engineering major with mathematics minor. I have taken all classes relating to thermofluids thus far (found my specialization). 

Years out of undergrad: 0 (In senior year of undergrad)

GPA: 3.73/4.0 , All As during Senior Year, including summer, and mostly As in Junior year (2 B+s). Upper level GPA much higher than lower.

GRE: not required  

Applicable Background: MATLAB, Mathcad, SolidWorks

Relevant Work Experience:  For 1 yr and 3 months, I have been interning at a top tier turbine producing company while going to school full-time. This experience directly connects to my desired focus in my masters since I want to go into thermofluids and the study thereof. I have also been a Resident Assistant for 2 years and 2 months, working for the university. While I know this RA job is unrelated to my major, I hope my ability to mediate conflicts and instruct a large group of people effectively will affect the admissions. 

Languages: English ; Patois is spoken in my household.

Ethnicity: African-American

Strength of SOP: Realistically, I'd give my SOP a 7/10 or 8/10, so not the best nor the worst.

Strength of extra material essays: These are a strong 9/10 for GT.

Strength of LOR: Definite strong recommendation from current turbine company employer, previous Resident Assistant boss who oversaw all RAs and supervisors, and a third from my Mechanical Engineering Senior Design advisor (solar desalination plant) and current professor for a graduate course I am taking (intermediate heat transfer).

No research - stopping at Masters. I really appreciate it :)

Edited by antoniojosh123