Geography 2021 Application Thread

tfgsap

got waitlisted at CUNY EES - this is my third year applying, second time being waitlisted and def the earliest notification of waitlist I've ever received. Was told they received a 60% increase in applications  this year, and given the COVID/budget situation, are able to admit fewer students than normal...

Edited by Roguebird

Wow, congratulations to the international student who posted about getting accepted to CUNY ESS (Human Geography). As much as I envy you, it's truly impressive you got the offer as an international with no US degree. Now that you're all relieved, would you like to share with us poor souls whether you intend to take the offer or not :)

On 2/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, sheoftherain said:

Hey @mes How was your interview at LSE? Have you heard back from them yet? 

Hi! It was a good interview and yes, they've recently been in touch with follow-up questions about my application but no official decision yet. I applied to Human Geography & Urban Studies, by the way, not Economic Geography (:

On 2/16/2021 at 10:32 AM, antiq said:

Wow, congratulations to the international student who posted about getting accepted to CUNY ESS (Human Geography). As much as I envy you, it's truly impressive you got the offer as an international with no US degree. Now that you're all relieved, would you like to share with us poor souls whether you intend to take the offer or not :)

Thanks for the congrats - my degrees are from Canada, but everyone I spoke to as part of my application process at different universities shared that they don't consider international degrees separately from the domestic pool, it just impacts some funding eligibility (though obviously US admissions systems valorize US degrees and experience over non-US non-Canada education). 

Strongly considering CUNY, but have to hear back from other programs I applied to as well. Good luck with everyone's applications!

On 1/31/2021 at 9:17 AM, joona said:

Hey y'all

Just wanted to drop by and ask if anyone is heard from Berkeley, UWisconsin-Madison or CU Boulder? 

I can see an interview invite for Berkeley and Wisconsin on the results page. Has anyone else been contacted? 

I'm also wondering about CU Boulder (I applied to the MA program). Has anyone else received a reply, one way or another? 

Hello everybody, I was recently introduced to this awesome website. I am a human geo. 

I applied to:

• Berkeley (rejected)
  • Madison (rejected)
  • CUNY (waitlisted)
  • Penn State (acepted)
  • Illinois - Urbana Champaign (accepted)
  • Rutgers (acepted - pending funding)
  • North Carolina at Chapell Hill (no decision)
  • Clark (no decision)

Congrats to the ones that got admitted into their dream schools!

Which programs do you think are the most remarkable? 

13 hours ago, latingrad said:

Hello everybody, I was recently introduced to this awesome website. I am a human geo. 

I applied to:

• Berkeley (rejected)
  • Madison (rejected)
  • CUNY (waitlisted)
  • Penn State (acepted)
  • Clark (no decision)

Congratulations on your offers! If I were you, I will choose top programs in geogrpahy where you got accepted, that is Penn State or UIUC. 

Hi all, 

I see a lot of posts on the results page from schools I applied to but I have not received any updates on my applications from these schools (either via email or portal). Is this a sign of likely rejection? 

Congratulations to those accepted!

Edited by mgeog77

23 hours ago, latingrad said:

I applied to:

• Berkeley (rejected)
  • Madison (rejected)
  • CUNY (waitlisted)
  • Penn State (acepted)
  • Clark (no decision)

Hi, congratulations on your acceptances. Did you apply for a Phd or Master?

4 hours ago, mgeog77 said:

Hi all, 

I see a lot of posts on the results page from schools I applied to but I have not received any updates on my applications from these schools (either via email or portal). Is this a sign of likely rejection? 

Congratulations to those accepted!

Perhaps you have been waitlisted.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:01 AM, cangrad11 said:

Thanks for the congrats - my degrees are from Canada, but everyone I spoke to as part of my application process at different universities shared that they don't consider international degrees separately from the domestic pool, it just impacts some funding eligibility (though obviously US admissions systems valorize US degrees and experience over non-US non-Canada education). 

Strongly considering CUNY, but have to hear back from other programs I applied to as well. Good luck with everyone's applications!

Thanks for the info. Wishing you luck.

Did they give you guys a "deadline" to make your decision? Only asking because I am considering accepting another offer with an upcoming deadline but would still like to hear from the EES first (my impression was that I ranked high on the waitlist). 

On 2/26/2021 at 4:52 PM, Peach Princess said:

Congratulations on your offers! If I were you, I will choose top programs in geogrpahy where you got accepted, that is Penn State or UIUC. 

Hi! You mention top programs. Is there a list of top progs in Geography? I'm an international student and don't have much of an idea about rankings, reputation etc

22 hours ago, joona said:

Hi! You mention top programs. Is there a list of top progs in Geography? I'm an international student and don't have much of an idea about rankings, reputation etc

Penn state is top 8 geography school in US while UIUC is 16th. 

Check the ranking here and apply filters. https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2020/geography

Btw, I saw in gradcafe that Clark U has sent out decisions already. Did you receive your result? 

1 hour ago, Peach Princess said:

Penn state is top 8 geography school in US while UIUC is 16th. 

Check the ranking here and apply filters. https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2020/geography

Btw, I saw in gradcafe that Clark U has sent out decisions already. Did you receive your result? 

Oh okay, I understand now. I was confused because it said 51-100 under the rankings coloum. I used the filters and counted so now I have an idea.. Thank you so much! 

I have received an acceptance to CU Boulder and wanted to get an idea about the general standing of the department. 

Also, sorry I didn't apply to Clark!