I know this sounds bad but I'm terrified after reading the slp reddit because of all the stuff I read about low salaries...a big reason I'm going into SLP is for stability. I don't need to be rich but I want a stable, comfortable income. The schools seem to be the lowest paying and I'll likely end up there. It made me think that, I might as well go for dietetics if they make around the same amount. I used to want to be an RD for a long time but was scared off due to the hard science requirements (biochem). It looks like RD's make a bit less but honestly not much from many forum posts I've read. 

One girl on IG even said she has to go to food pantries when she was working in the schools. ? 

I really do love the aspects of speech pathology and cannot see myself going into any other master's level program that pays more. If I didn't do speech I'd probably get some general comm. degree and end up in entry-level marketing jobs OR dietetics. 

Has anyone else considered becoming an RD? Considered other fields that are a similar pay with less responsibilities/less schooling? I seriously considered ultrasound (even shadowed) bc they get GREAT pay for a two year degree but it's not as great as it seems from the outside. 

Can I ask, what area do you live in and where would you be interested in working? 

Direct hires (those that are employed by the district) at the schools tend to work more stable positions with better benefits and consistent raises than contract hires (those that are working for contract companies) in the schools.

Direct hires are usually placed on the teacher salary schedule. You can look up school districts that you would be interested in working at, and their salary schedules are almost always available online. You can usually just look up "so and so school district salary schedule." These salaries are usually based on a regular school year, and you will often find options for additional pay working an Extended School Year (ESY; or what non-SLPs would call summer school). For example, if you were to live in Denver and work for Denver Public School District on the regular teacher salary schedule, you would start your first year at $50,343 and cap out after 20 years at around $82,174. For this specific school district, you could also use their salary finder, which puts that initial salary at closer to $57,091. If you were to go for your SLP-D, you could start at $65,335 and cap out at $106,000 after 20 years. I'd love to help you find salary stats for where you plan on working - just PM me!

In any care profession, you often sacrifice 6 figure salaries for meaningful work. That being said, there are other tracks for SLPs that will usually command higher salaries: acute care, Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs), inpatient, outpatient, etc. If you are worried about how to secure these sorts of positions, there are ways to make your application more competitive, especially if you start early on while you're still in grad school. Actually, you can even start to think about this before grad school: if you want to go the medSLP route, make sure you're applying to programs that have contracts with hospitals or that promise their students medical placements. Even if you choose to start your career working in the schools, you can take CEUs and become certified in areas that would catch the eye of employers in the healthcare sector. You can work your way up from there. 

When you make decisions about your future career, you have to be honest with yourself. How much debt do you have, how much will you incur by the time you graduate, and what will the monthly payments look like? When you look at places that you would like to live, go on apartments.com or zillow and figure out what you'll be spending on a house or apartment. Look up the prices of food in the area and budget in your preferred leisure activities. How much do you want to save each month for retirement? What's your car payment? Do you have any dependents? Do you want pets, or frequent vacations? Do you have a significant other? Really take a look at what your preferred standard of living would require of you, make a mock budget, and then make your decisions based on which careers in that pay range have the potential to make you happy long term. The key here is to be honest and make a truly informed decision: a master's degree is a huge investment and you don't want to feel stuck in 15 years because you didn't do your research.

The last (and most important) thing: Don't look for career advice on reddit! While you'll only hear about the good things from grad schools, insta, and pinterest, you can expect the exact opposite from reddit. Everyone on that site is venting; and the anonymous nature makes it safe to do so. If you want real advice, salary figures, and info on job satisfaction, shadow practicing SLPs in your area. Again, for the people in the back: shadow practicing SLPs in your area. Ask questions, ask for honest answers, and remember: the grass is always greener on the other side. Even if you don't end up choosing SLP; your career is what you make of it. If you want to complain and feel stuck, you will. If you want to improve and work your way up the ladder to the position you really want; don't get discouraged and continue to look for ways to make that happen for yourself. You got this!

Edited by jomyers.online

Dear RoseyElephant,

You can create stability and work-life balance/structure that you desire. Not every SLP is broke. And you can get some ideas from the Financially Independent SLP Youtube channel on how to expand your income. Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKGFBb3KKbQznQwMg35Tpcw/videos

I do hope you go with what is best for you and what you like the most but know that there are SLPs making quite a chunk of comfortable stable change and are making sure their money is earning more money for them.

Sincerely,

XulasLp07

I'm sorry but I'm just going to point this out... do not base your entire career/life decision off of some random person on the internet. Finances are a VERY individual and unique subject. We do not know all of the pieces of that particular SLP's puzzle. I have so many questions: did she already have a crap ton of student loan debt from undergrad? Did she attend an expensive private university or pay out-of-state tuition? Does she have irresponsible spending habits such as never saving a dollar of her monthly income, thus living paycheck to paycheck? Does she live in an expensive luxury apartment in a wealthy neighborhood that she has no business living in? Does she own a luxury car payment that she can't afford? It's very easy to blame a career and not look at how someone got into their particular situation. I'm definitely not trying to victim blame or make assumptions but the list goes on... That's very unfortunate that she had to seek help from a food pantry, but we literally do not know why or how she got into her particular situation.

I've worked in this field for YEARS as an SLPA in the schools and in private practice. I have met and worked side by side with SLPs in the real world that were definitely not struggling like that particular SLP you mentioned. It would be silly and no offense immature to completely change your career aspirations based off of one stranger on the internet. Off of a single Instagram comment. At the end of the day, in MOST cases, obtaining a master degree in any professional field will increase your quality of life substantially and allow you to be financially independent. Everyone should do their own due diligence when deciding what pay they are willing to accept for their particular life and situation. In my state, if you're willing to drive a little further out to a neighboring school district, you can get a $5-7K difference in salary. It just depends on what each individual is willing to sacrifice. There are so many options in this field, so do not let one person's experience on the internet deter you. Also not everyone is aware that you can change your 10 year student loan payment plan to one that is income based. So for all we know she has high student loan debt and is on a shorter payment plan leaving her with no wiggle room to afford her lifestyle. It sounds like that person is probably just in need of some financial advising. 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:04 PM, roseyelephant said:

Has anyone else considered becoming an RD? Considered other fields that are a similar pay with less responsibilities/less schooling? I seriously considered ultrasound (even shadowed) bc they get GREAT pay for a two year degree but it's not as great as it seems from the outside. 

And to answer this question, yes I have considered RD among other allied health fields(including nursing). I decided against RD because it was not an available major at my undergrad university and decided on CSD. If you look at job postings and do some research you'll find that the field is known for having a pretty low average salary even though it requires X amount of training, however there are also some happy RD's out there as well! Regardless, you should consider taking a career aptitude test and look at your options but also I wouldn't be completely driven by income. I have friends with bachelor degrees in other fields making $80K, have nice cars/homes but are miserable. Then I have personally met and am friends with SLPs who work in the schools and make $50-58K and are happy with a decent living wage and work-life balance. As someone else said before, any career is what you make of it. Why not read up on success stories in SLP? Especially since you've already stated you don't see yourself doing anything else. With COVID it's been nice to see that for the most part, SLPs have not had their jobs cut or are being laid off like some of these other fields. Keep in mind there's a variety of salary ranges in this field depending on setting (SNF, private practice, schools, hospitals) and where you live. At the end of the day, choosing a career can be daunting but I wouldn't mull over it too much. Sometimes it is best to make a decision and stick with it to improve your quality of life. Not all of your life satisfaction has to come solely from a career. You can have side passions or dabble in other things as well. Sometimes a career/job helps you achieve that. Also, I want to point out there are career counselor therapists that exist and can help guide you in making a decision you ultimately feel comfortable with. At the end of the day make a choice and apply yourself so you can move forward! Good luck.

18 hours ago, smarieSLP2b said:

It would be silly and no offense immature to completely change your career aspirations based off of one stranger on the internet. Off of a single Instagram comment.

The concerns that @roseyelephant raises are completely valid, and I'm happy that they are seeking out additional advice.

• Financial advisors charge, on average, $100-$400/hr, or one time fees of $1000-$2000 for a yearly financial plan. Suggesting that the woman going to food pantries seek financial advising is pretty out of touch. As @Xulaslp07 mentioned, the Financially Independent SLP is a great resource. 
  • It is also completely valid to choose a career based on prospective income. Several of my friends (in other majors) came to university as first-generation college students for the sole purpose of using their degree to support their extended families. That is not much of an option if you take a job in some school districts in Kansas City, where SLP salaries can start out as low as $40,000 and sometimes dip even lower. To prove my point, after taxes, that's $2,606 per month. If you're a single mother with 2 children, that's all you'd need to qualify for food stamps in Kansas. People will not bat an eye when a teacher says they are on food stamps or need help buying food for their families, but SLPs are often on the same salary schedule as those teachers. 
  • I'm going to keep going with that, based on my first year salary. (I made $2400/month as a teacher (take home pay) - it would be $2600 with a master's degree on that salary schedule, so we're going with the $2600 figure) Let's assume you have health insurance that your employer helps with, but that's an extra $300/month out of each paycheck for the halfway decent option (I was lucky enough to have insurance through my parents). If you live in a more affordable area, like Eudora, I've seen rents for as low as $700 for a studio/1 bedroom. Electric+gas+water: $150/ish. Food: for a low estimate, $4/meal * 3 meals a day * 30 days = $450 / month (that includes the coffee habit, which I sometimes had to forego).  Let's assume you have a used car with a payment of $350/month, and insurance at $100/month. (and gas for your hour commute comes out to $70/month) Let's say, for giggles, that you have a dog ($80/month for food and preventative medicine). I was on an income driven repayment plan, which was only available for my government provided student loans (I went to a state-sponsored public university) - $200/month. I had to take out outside loans because I was unable to work as much while student teaching, so I owed Sallie Mae another $150/month after graduation. Oh, and a low estimate for a phone/internet bill would be $50/month. That leaves the teacher/SLP with the master's degree $0 (and me with $100 because I wasn't paying health insurance). But let's think about those things that aren't monthly expenses. For example, this is what my December looked like: What if you need new tires? A tooth filling because of that ridiculous coffee habit? You don't have Christmas presents for your family yet? (if you're an SLP, you pay ASHA around $250 in December as well) You're in the negative. No, I wasn't on food stamps, but the only way it would work out is if I had a significant other, roommates, or a second job. I went for a second job on the weekends, which netted me another $1000/month (I value financial independence from others). Keep in mind, in this example, you are working in a high-needs area and living in a very affordable small town about an hour away. I'm using myself as an example because I was definitely not an outlier: I was living a very average lifestyle as far as rent, food, transportation, and student loan repayments go. I probably could have spent less on coffee, but that wouldn't have made up the difference.  In most cases, I don't think students really expect that while they are getting a master's degree in a respected profession, they will probably still need to take a second job or live with roommates the first couple of years if they work in the schools. This is where I see most of the negativity on reddit stemming from. 
  • Look at how this field is marketed: #4 in Best Health Care Jobs and #7 in 100 Best Jobs, according to U.S. News & World ReportJob creation in the profession is outpacing other occupations and is expected to grow by 18 percent from 2016 to 2026. You've seen the stats. But if you look at the actual financial prospects for freshly-minted SLPs (in the schools) you'd see a MAJOR disconnect. Don't believe me? If you were on the teacher salary schedule in the following districts (and it's highly likely that you would be paid based on this schedule in the schools), this is how much you could expect to make as a first-year SLP: St. Louis, $41,616 , Chicago Public Schools, $64,280 (208 day lane 2) , Minneapolis Public Schools, $50,011 (2018, couldn't find a more recent one) , Houston Public Schools, $55,369 (from what I've read, I think SLPs are on the counselor schedule), Phoenix, $66,974 (Elementary, District 1) As you can see, compensation varies widely. In most places you're not on the lowest end of the cost-of-living spectrum but you're not exactly rolling in it either. If money is a concern, as it seems to be for our friend here, it is absolutely necessary to contemplate this thoroughly. This is why my advice was to look at school districts that pay more, look into the medSLP route, shadow active SLPs, and continue to ask questions.

Edited by jomyers.online

On 1/27/2021 at 7:35 PM, jomyers.online said:

Can I ask, what area do you live in and where would you be interested in working? 

Direct hires (those that are employed by the district) at the schools tend to work more stable positions with better benefits and consistent raises than contract hires (those that are working for contract companies) in the schools.

Direct hires are usually placed on the teacher salary schedule. You can look up school districts that you would be interested in working at, and their salary schedules are almost always available online. You can usually just look up "so and so school district salary schedule." These salaries are usually based on a regular school year, and you will often find options for additional pay working an Extended School Year (ESY; or what non-SLPs would call summer school). For example, if you were to live in Denver and work for Denver Public School District on the regular teacher salary schedule, you would start your first year at $50,343 and cap out after 20 years at around $82,174. For this specific school district, you could also use their salary finder, which puts that initial salary at closer to $57,091. If you were to go for your SLP-D, you could start at $65,335 and cap out at $106,000 after 20 years. I'd love to help you find salary stats for where you plan on working - just PM me!

In any care profession, you often sacrifice 6 figure salaries for meaningful work. That being said, there are other tracks for SLPs that will usually command higher salaries: acute care, Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs), inpatient, outpatient, etc. If you are worried about how to secure these sorts of positions, there are ways to make your application more competitive, especially if you start early on while you're still in grad school. Actually, you can even start to think about this before grad school: if you want to go the medSLP route, make sure you're applying to programs that have contracts with hospitals or that promise their students medical placements. Even if you choose to start your career working in the schools, you can take CEUs and become certified in areas that would catch the eye of employers in the healthcare sector. You can work your way up from there. 

When you make decisions about your future career, you have to be honest with yourself. How much debt do you have, how much will you incur by the time you graduate, and what will the monthly payments look like? When you look at places that you would like to live, go on apartments.com or zillow and figure out what you'll be spending on a house or apartment. Look up the prices of food in the area and budget in your preferred leisure activities. How much do you want to save each month for retirement? What's your car payment? Do you have any dependents? Do you want pets, or frequent vacations? Do you have a significant other? Really take a look at what your preferred standard of living would require of you, make a mock budget, and then make your decisions based on which careers in that pay range have the potential to make you happy long term. The key here is to be honest and make a truly informed decision: a master's degree is a huge investment and you don't want to feel stuck in 15 years because you didn't do your research.

The last (and most important) thing: Don't look for career advice on reddit! While you'll only hear about the good things from grad schools, insta, and pinterest, you can expect the exact opposite from reddit. Everyone on that site is venting; and the anonymous nature makes it safe to do so. If you want real advice, salary figures, and info on job satisfaction, shadow practicing SLPs in your area. Again, for the people in the back: shadow practicing SLPs in your area. Ask questions, ask for honest answers, and remember: the grass is always greener on the other side. Even if you don't end up choosing SLP; your career is what you make of it. If you want to complain and feel stuck, you will. If you want to improve and work your way up the ladder to the position you really want; don't get discouraged and continue to look for ways to make that happen for yourself. You got this!

I read this and didn't reply for some reason. It was really helpful, so thank you! I have researched salaries a lot but still worry that I will be the outlier. I have spoken in person to an SLP near me and shadowed her, as well as done some virtual shadowing. I just get very anxious and am indecisive so I also go searching online, which isn't the best idea, I guess! Thank you!!

17 hours ago, smarieSLP2b said:

I'm sorry but I'm just going to point this out... do not base your entire career/life decision off of some random person on the internet. Finances are a VERY individual and unique subject. We do not know all of the pieces of that particular SLP's puzzle. I have so many questions: did she already have a crap ton of student loan debt from undergrad? Did she attend an expensive private university or pay out-of-state tuition? Does she have irresponsible spending habits such as never saving a dollar of her monthly income, thus living paycheck to paycheck? Does she live in an expensive luxury apartment in a wealthy neighborhood that she has no business living in? Does she own a luxury car payment that she can't afford? It's very easy to blame a career and not look at how someone got into their particular situation. I'm definitely not trying to victim blame or make assumptions but the list goes on... That's very unfortunate that she had to seek help from a food pantry, but we literally do not know why or how she got into her particular situation.

I've worked in this field for YEARS as an SLPA in the schools and in private practice. I have met and worked side by side with SLPs in the real world that were definitely not struggling like that particular SLP you mentioned. It would be silly and no offense immature to completely change your career aspirations based off of one stranger on the internet. Off of a single Instagram comment. At the end of the day, in MOST cases, obtaining a master degree in any professional field will increase your quality of life substantially and allow you to be financially independent. Everyone should do their own due diligence when deciding what pay they are willing to accept for their particular life and situation. In my state, if you're willing to drive a little further out to a neighboring school district, you can get a $5-7K difference in salary. It just depends on what each individual is willing to sacrifice. There are so many options in this field, so do not let one person's experience on the internet deter you. Also not everyone is aware that you can change your 10 year student loan payment plan to one that is income based. So for all we know she has high student loan debt and is on a shorter payment plan leaving her with no wiggle room to afford her lifestyle. It sounds like that person is probably just in need of some financial advising. 

It isn't based on just her--that was one example. I've been contemplating this career for years now and have been allll over the internet. She also was not irresponsible and expected to make a decent living, which is why it scared me because I have a similar view that she had before she got into the field. 

Again I am not basing my career choices on a few comments here and there. I've really looked at every website possible about this field and have seen similar stories, so I do not think it is immature to do my research..but thank you for the reassurance otherwise. 

17 hours ago, smarieSLP2b said:

And to answer this question, yes I have considered RD among other allied health fields(including nursing). I decided against RD because it was not an available major at my undergrad university and decided on CSD. If you look at job postings and do some research you'll find that the field is known for having a pretty low average salary even though it requires X amount of training, however there are also some happy RD's out there as well! Regardless, you should consider taking a career aptitude test and look at your options but also I wouldn't be completely driven by income. I have friends with bachelor degrees in other fields making $80K, have nice cars/homes but are miserable. Then I have personally met and am friends with SLPs who work in the schools and make $50-58K and are happy with a decent living wage and work-life balance. As someone else said before, any career is what you make of it. Why not read up on success stories in SLP? Especially since you've already stated you don't see yourself doing anything else. With COVID it's been nice to see that for the most part, SLPs have not had their jobs cut or are being laid off like some of these other fields. Keep in mind there's a variety of salary ranges in this field depending on setting (SNF, private practice, schools, hospitals) and where you live. At the end of the day, choosing a career can be daunting but I wouldn't mull over it too much. Sometimes it is best to make a decision and stick with it to improve your quality of life. Not all of your life satisfaction has to come solely from a career. You can have side passions or dabble in other things as well. Sometimes a career/job helps you achieve that. Also, I want to point out there are career counselor therapists that exist and can help guide you in making a decision you ultimately feel comfortable with. At the end of the day make a choice and apply yourself so you can move forward! Good luck.

Yes, I've done quite a bit of research since this posting and have found the same thing about the salaries and competitiveness of the field. I have taken this test and many others and the suggestions are nursing, OT, rec therapy, and similar fields. :) I have been trying to find more encouraging posts and people who love the field, which has been helping my anxieties. And you are so right about the job security!! Thank you for the additional comment, and apologies if my other one came off a rude in any way. I appreciate your advice. 

4 hours ago, jomyers.online said:

The concerns that @roseyelephant raises are completely valid, and I'm happy that they are seeking out additional advice.

• Financial advisors charge, on average, $100-$400/hr, or one time fees of $1000-$2000 for a yearly financial plan. Suggesting that the woman going to food pantries seek financial advising is pretty out of touch. As @Xulaslp07 mentioned, the Financially Independent SLP is a great resource. 
  • It is also completely valid to choose a career based on prospective income. Several of my friends (in other majors) came to university as first-generation college students for the sole purpose of using their degree to support their extended families. That is not much of an option if you take a job in some school districts in Kansas City, where SLP salaries can start out as low as $40,000 and sometimes dip even lower. To prove my point, after taxes, that's $2,606 per month. If you're a single mother with 2 children, that's all you'd need to qualify for food stamps in Kansas. People will not bat an eye when a teacher says they are on food stamps or need help buying food for their families, but SLPs are often on the same salary schedule as those teachers. 
  • I'm going to keep going with that, based on my first year salary. (I made $2400/month as a teacher (take home pay) - it would be $2600 with a master's degree on that salary schedule, so we're going with the $2600 figure) Let's assume you have health insurance that your employer helps with, but that's an extra $300/month out of each paycheck for the halfway decent option (I was lucky enough to have insurance through my parents). If you live in a more affordable area, like Eudora, I've seen rents for as low as $700 for a studio/1 bedroom. Electric+gas+water: $150/ish. Food: for a low estimate, $4/meal * 3 meals a day * 30 days = $450 / month (that includes the coffee habit, which I sometimes had to forego).  Let's assume you have a used car with a payment of $350/month, and insurance at $100/month. (and gas for your hour commute comes out to $70/month) Let's say, for giggles, that you have a dog ($80/month for food and preventative medicine). I was on an income driven repayment plan, which was only available for my government provided student loans (I went to a state-sponsored public university) - $200/month. I had to take out outside loans because I was unable to work as much while student teaching, so I owed Sallie Mae another $150/month after graduation. Oh, and a low estimate for a phone/internet bill would be $50/month. That leaves the teacher/SLP with the master's degree $0 (and me with $100 because I wasn't paying health insurance). But let's think about those things that aren't monthly expenses. For example, this is what my December looked like: What if you need new tires? A tooth filling because of that ridiculous coffee habit? You don't have Christmas presents for your family yet? (if you're an SLP, you pay ASHA around $250 in December as well) You're in the negative. No, I wasn't on food stamps, but the only way it would work out is if I had a significant other, roommates, or a second job. I went for a second job on the weekends, which netted me another $1000/month (I value financial independence from others). Keep in mind, in this example, you are working in a high-needs area and living in a very affordable small town about an hour away. I'm using myself as an example because I was definitely not an outlier: I was living a very average lifestyle as far as rent, food, transportation, and student loan repayments go. I probably could have spent less on coffee, but that wouldn't have made up the difference.  In most cases, I don't think students really expect that while they are getting a master's degree in a respected profession, they will probably still need to take a second job or live with roommates the first couple of years if they work in the schools. This is where I see most of the negativity on reddit stemming from. 
  • Look at how this field is marketed: #4 in Best Health Care Jobs and #7 in 100 Best Jobs, according to U.S. News & World ReportJob creation in the profession is outpacing other occupations and is expected to grow by 18 percent from 2016 to 2026. You've seen the stats. But if you look at the actual financial prospects for freshly-minted SLPs (in the schools) you'd see a MAJOR disconnect. Don't believe me? If you were on the teacher salary schedule in the following districts (and it's highly likely that you would be paid based on this schedule in the schools), this is how much you could expect to make as a first-year SLP: St. Louis, $41,616 , Chicago Public Schools, $64,280 (208 day lane 2) , Minneapolis Public Schools, $50,011 (2018, couldn't find a more recent one) , Houston Public Schools, $55,369 (from what I've read, I think SLPs are on the counselor schedule), Phoenix, $66,974 (Elementary, District 1) As you can see, compensation varies widely. In most places you're not on the lowest end of the cost-of-living spectrum but you're not exactly rolling in it either. If money is a concern, as it seems to be for our friend here, it is absolutely necessary to contemplate this thoroughly. This is why my advice was to look at school districts that pay more, look into the medSLP route, shadow active SLPs, and continue to ask questions.

I'm happy that @roseyelephantis seeking additional answers as well! You can't believe everything you read online, which is where my comment was stemming from. I still stand by what I said, it would be childish for anyone to take one statement from one person on the internet and run with it as truth. It's mature to look at all aspects such as the fact that not all SLPs will end up on food stamps and struggling to make ends meet.

Also, it is not out of touch for me to suggest that the particular struggling SLP in question seek financial advice. Free resources can be found online if you look up keywords regarding budgeting and personal finance. I was referencing the free info anyone can find online, not the $400/hr financial advisors you are mentioning that typically work with wealthy folks seeking guidance with their investment portfolios.

I was also concerned about the low pay in this field when I worked as a Bachelor-level clinician in the schools earning $40K on the teacher pay scale. I was turned off by this field for years based off of what I read on Reddit from SLPs regretting their career choice due to the low pay. I have since taken the time to compare what I've read online, to what I have heard from SLPs I personally know and have worked with in real life. I won't waste my time throwing out numbers and figures since we all live in different areas with different standards of living. At the end of the day, everyone knows the pay in the schools can royally suck depending on which school district you end up working for and in what area of the country if thats the path you choose. However, I don't believe that should entirely deter anyone away from this field! Especially if they feel passionate about this career. As a Latina immigrant, I know what it's like having to send money to your motherland, however it's smart to be aware that there are other options in this field if you are willing to be open to it and that this particular struggling SLP's scenario is not always the case for everyone. 

Also, anyone reading this should know that the stylized "medSLP" is not a term used in this field in normal conversation. It is only used by Washington State University in reference to their two track master degree program. Any licensed SLP, with a masters degree from any accredited university can work in the variety of settings this field offers. The terms regularly used in the field would be "school based" and "medical based". 

4 minutes ago, smarieSLP2b said:

Also, anyone reading this should know that the stylized "medSLP" is not a term used in this field in normal conversation. It is only used by Washington State University in reference to their two track master degree program. Any licensed SLP, with a masters degree from any accredited university can work in the variety of settings this field offers. The terms regularly used in the field would be "school based" and "medical based". 

I've seen it used in and around to describe "medical based" SLPs online, but you're right, it wouldn't be used in in-person conversation! I was only referring to ways to make your application more competitive in medical settings, as these positions are notoriously difficult to secure outside of SNFs. Thank you for the correction.

4 hours ago, roseyelephant said:

Yes, I've done quite a bit of research since this posting and have found the same thing about the salaries and competitiveness of the field. I have taken this test and many others and the suggestions are nursing, OT, rec therapy, and similar fields. :) I have been trying to find more encouraging posts and people who love the field, which has been helping my anxieties. And you are so right about the job security!! Thank you for the additional comment, and apologies if my other one came off a rude in any way. I appreciate your advice. 

Thanks for your comment! I've been in your shoes and have stayed there for far too long based off of Reddit or people online in very specific situations, sometimes we let those comments box us in a little. I was only put at ease when I voiced my concerns in the real world to SLP colleagues and some of them shared how much they've been able to make in certain settings/niches. It's daunting picking a career but it sounds like you have some good options lined up. Even if you choose one thing and decide it's not for you it's never too late to switch gears. 

20 hours ago, smarieSLP2b said:

I worked as a Bachelor-level clinician in the schools earning $40K on the teacher pay scale.

Oh, @smarieSLP2b, I meant to follow up earlier! Can I ask what state you're in that you were able to practice as a bachelor-level clinician, and where you looked to find it (glassdoor, linkedin, word-of-mouth)? Would this sort of position be similar to practicing as a SLPA? I haven't been able to find available positions like this in my area!

Thank you ☺️