If you have already spoken to your potential advisors and had discussions about the research then is it normal to not get an interview for a PhD program?

Beezy

Question

7 answers to this question

I'm sorry I've just spoken to almost all the professor's I've applied to and even recently sent them emails about a new publication. They said I was a strong applicant and gotten lors from professors in the field but no interview. So I was wondering if anyone was in the same boat. 

This is a really weird cycle and even speaking with professors isn't a guarantee of interview/acceptance. I wouldn't get down on yourself too much since it is such a strange year for applying and a lot of schools have seen an increase in applicants. There's no way to know the criteria for each individual school or program, so it's hard to know where you stand and how your application might have been received. You didn't do yourself any harm in reaching out to professors for sure! I hope you get some positive news soon. Best of luck!

I spoke to POIs before I applied but only one of them explicitly said he wanted to work with me. That school didn't do the (in)formal with me after applying.  I just got accepted into the PhD program he's in.

I applied to 7 other schools. 

2 that didn't interview me and sent rejection letters the other day. 

5 other schools i haven't heard from at all. 

On 30/01/2021 at 8:32 AM, CafeConGabi said:

I spoke to POIs before I applied but only one of them explicitly said he wanted to work with me. That school didn't do the (in)formal with me after applying.  I just got accepted into the PhD program he's in.

I applied to 7 other schools. 

2 that didn't interview me and sent rejection letters the other day. 

5 other schools i haven't heard from at all. 

Wow thanks that helped. I think they all said they wanted to work with me. But it is a weird cycle and I'm not sure about what to expect. 

5 hours ago, Beezy said:

Wow thanks that helped. I think they all said they wanted to work with me. But it is a weird cycle and I'm not sure about what to expect. 

It is such a strange cycle! Some schools didn't take any applications. So, I would not take anything personally because it really has to do with funding. ow much funding they have for current students/potential new students. 

Yes! I was afraid that not getting an interview was a bad indication but it all worked out. : )