Applicant feedback on virtual interviews

PsychProf

Hi all,

I'm a faculty member in a clinical psych program and we're doing virtual interviews this month (just going to keep it vague ?). I'd be interested in hearing from applicants who have already done some interviews during this unusual season. What worked well? What didn't? What platforms are programs using and how did you like them? What do you wish there was more or less of? Did you have mostly one-on-one interactions or other stuff?

Some of what we're planning is likely set in stone by now, but I'm still interested to learn from people's experience. For all we know, this won't be the last year we do this!

I had an interview for a smaller program and it was done really well. We had an introduction session and then a scheduled individual interview. There were also different zoom sessions we could join for financial aid or general questions about the program. I liked that we still had a schedule to follow for the morning so it made it feel more "real". I liked the one-on-one interview a lot. I do wish that we could have seen pictures or video clips of the campus or the buildings we would spend our time in. Zoom also worked really well! I have another group interview next week so we will see how that one is structured! 

I have been to four virtual interviews this cycle, so I have a lot of thoughts on what works!

The best organized interview I had used separate Zoom links for each individual meeting. Some interviews used breakout rooms, but those can get hectic when there are a lot of applicants and one poor interview day coordinator trying to keep track of everyone. It can be done, but there's a steep learning curve. It was a lot simpler when there were separate links and applicants had the responsibility of entering and exiting rooms as outlined by their schedule.

In terms of interview timing, if at all possible, I found that hour long individual interviews with faculty were best. It's already hard to get a sense of someone if the individual interview is only 30 minutes when we're in person - it's almost impossible over a virtual platform. I really appreciated it when I had an opportunity to have a real, substantial conversation with the PI before having to navigate to my next appointment. As offers are extended, I'm having to base my decision to move across the country on extremely short interview windows with no sense of the campus or having met these people in person. Getting to know their personality and who I am moving across the country to work with is essential.

Having at least 30 minutes where I was not expected to be on camera was a blessing. I could take my blazer off, walk my dogs, eat a snack...and with that said, please do not schedule on-camera meetings for lunchtime. I know it can be efficient to give presentations at lunch, but the anxiety of having to eat lunch on camera in my interview outfit was a nightmare. I did not pay attention at all in those meetings. I just watched myself make eating faces on camera with growing dread and self-judgement. I know not everyone is like me, but I think at least having a significant amount of time (more than 10 minutes) off camera is really helpful in getting through a whole day of being "on." One of the programs I interviewed with had a waiting room where applicants could get in face time with current students, but there was no expectation of attending that. Applicants could do whatever with their break. I really liked this method.

Lastly, having a short lab informational meeting prior to the interview day was great. These meetings took care of the research-focused questions prior to the individual interviews, so I could spend whatever interview time there was really trying to get to know the PI. There's a lot crammed into those 20-30 minute interview blocs, so the opportunity to discuss research/research direction as a group took care of those "Where do you see your lab in 5 years?" types of questions. 

I hope this was helpful!

At two different interview weekends, I've been to hourlong sessions where all the applicants applying to the same lab are in a Zoom meeting with current grad students. (One called it a social gathering, the other called it a Q & A session.) Both times it was awkward. It came after applicants had already had several meetings with faculty and grad students with plenty of time to ask questions, so presumably people had already had most of their burning questions answered. As an applicant, it felt weird to be asking questions in front of four other people applying for the same spot. Both times, people were not really asking many questions—everyone seemed unsure when to speak—and it didn't really work as a "social hour" either, because it's hard to start spontaneous conversations in a Zoom room with ~10 people in it. So I don't recommend holding these kinds of big group Zoom meet-and-greets unless there's a little more structure to the interaction. For example, my friend went to one where the prospective students and current grad students played games together on Zoom as a group, and he said it was really fun for everyone and broke the ice a bit.

I agree that more time with PI and lab is the most important via Zoom. I actually loved the student socials, even if they are awkward; grad students have so much of the intel. Anything over 9 hours hurts anyone's brain on Zoom...I had one that was 6:30am start time (due to time difference) for almost 11 hours, it hurt my soul.