Bay Area MSW!

nettyspaghetti

21 minutes ago, Alyssaaa_93 said:

Did your acceptance state what concentration you are in? I didn't see that listed on my letter. 

It didn’t say, although I think I remember specifying that I wanted to do SCYF in the application. I can’t imagine them just deciding to put you in a concentration you didn’t want but Cal works in mysterious ways

Cross posting this from the larger MSW 2021 Applications thread, forgive me for my laziness ?

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting :) It's been so helpful to tap into this community (even shyly as a lurker from the sidelines lol). I really appreciate all the camaraderie, support, celebration, and compassion on this forum. To all those who've been accepted to programs, sending y'all the hugest congratulations! To all those facing rejections, my heart goes out to you!! And I feel your pain - I was just rejected from my top choice (Berkeley) but trying to stay positive as I await to hear back from SFSU. The feeling really sucks, there's no denying it... BUT trying to remind myself that no university can determine my worthiness or my aptitude for greatness - something I hope we can all hold true in our hearts. We will all be amazing social workers some day, if we choose to continue on this path! I believe with every fiber of my being that this year was a BANANAS year to apply to MSW programs, I believe the applicant pools were more competitive than ever before given the pandemic and everyone being flipped on their bottoms, making big life moves, and entering into school and going deeper into helping professions as a response to the crisis. 

I'm wondering if anyone who's applied to SFSU has heard back yet? And if so, were you title IV? My understanding is that Title IV applicants probably hear back sooner, as they also have an interview involved (I did not apply for Title IV). I've found less info floating around from SFSU applicants. Thanks in advance for any insight! Crossing my fingers for everyone still waiting on decisions, and sending y'all lots of love! ❤️ 

3 hours ago, catmama89 said:

Cross posting this from the larger MSW 2021 Applications thread, forgive me for my laziness ?

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting :) It's been so helpful to tap into this community (even shyly as a lurker from the sidelines lol). I really appreciate all the camaraderie, support, celebration, and compassion on this forum. To all those who've been accepted to programs, sending y'all the hugest congratulations! To all those facing rejections, my heart goes out to you!! And I feel your pain - I was just rejected from my top choice (Berkeley) but trying to stay positive as I await to hear back from SFSU. The feeling really sucks, there's no denying it... BUT trying to remind myself that no university can determine my worthiness or my aptitude for greatness - something I hope we can all hold true in our hearts. We will all be amazing social workers some day, if we choose to continue on this path! I believe with every fiber of my being that this year was a BANANAS year to apply to MSW programs, I believe the applicant pools were more competitive than ever before given the pandemic and everyone being flipped on their bottoms, making big life moves, and entering into school and going deeper into helping professions as a response to the crisis. 

I'm wondering if anyone who's applied to SFSU has heard back yet? And if so, were you title IV? My understanding is that Title IV applicants probably hear back sooner, as they also have an interview involved (I did not apply for Title IV). I've found less info floating around from SFSU applicants. Thanks in advance for any insight! Crossing my fingers for everyone still waiting on decisions, and sending y'all lots of love! ❤️ 

I’m right there with you, Berkeley was also my top choice and I didn’t get in. Still waiting for SFSU and SJSU...and feeling really nervous given the high number of applicants this year. 

3 hours ago, catmama89 said:

Hoping you hear back from SFSU soon!! They are an amazing program and the couple of folks that I talked to that are currently in the program said amazing things :) I am going to be attending Berkeley but SFSU was another great option. Sending you all the good vibes and good luck!!

Has anyone who received an offer from UCB gotten information on financial support from the department? If so, how - via email, phone call, letter, application portal? I received an email this morning stating that “offers of support have all been sent separately” but I haven’t gotten anything, which is disappointing because I thought I had a really good shot at LCOE. I emailed the department last week to ask but haven’t heard anything back. :(

Hi beautiful people! I just wanted to send out a plea lol. If you have decided on a school that you're set on committing to, but still have your applications being considered at other schools, pleeeease consider rescinding your application from those programs you're definitely not going to (or if you've already been admitted, letting them know ASAP to offer your spot to someone else). I know it might feel good to get a few more acceptances and I know the curiosity factor is real (like, you want to know if you'd get in even though you're not going to commit), but in reality it also might be delaying the good news and decisions that others are waiting for. This of course is in no way meant to be pressure anyone to commit to a school/program you're not sure about if financial offers are still being considered, you're undecided, location is an issue, etc. I just mean for people who are like "YES I got into the school that I am definitely going to commit to," please consider letting other schools know that you're going somewhere else ASAP. I say this because I got this response from the director of SFSU re: decision time line for NON-title IV applicants...

"So, this year we considered 345 direct practice applicants for only 27 spots. We have sent out our first few admits and will send out
more next week. As we hear back from people, we will begin to draw from the waiting list."

Good luck to everyone still waiting and huge congratulations to those who have received acceptances! 
Edited by catmama89

16 hours ago, catmama89 said:

Hi beautiful people! I just wanted to send out a plea lol. If you have decided on a school that you're set on committing to, but still have your applications being considered at other schools, pleeeease consider rescinding your application from those programs you're definitely not going to (or if you've already been admitted, letting them know ASAP to offer your spot to someone else). I know it might feel good to get a few more acceptances and I know the curiosity factor is real (like, you want to know if you'd get in even though you're not going to commit), but in reality it also might be delaying the good news and decisions that others are waiting for. This of course is in no way meant to be pressure anyone to commit to a school/program you're not sure about if financial offers are still being considered, you're undecided, location is an issue, etc. I just mean for people who are like "YES I got into the school that I am definitely going to commit to," please consider letting other schools know that you're going somewhere else ASAP. I say this because I got this response from the director of SFSU re: decision time line for NON-title IV applicants...

"So, this year we considered 345 direct practice applicants for only 27 spots. We have sent out our first few admits and will send out
more next week. As we hear back from people, we will begin to draw from the waiting list."

Good luck to everyone still waiting and huge congratulations to those who have received acceptances! 

Thanks for this SFSU update! So weird because when I emailed him he told me 40 spots for for 358 applicants. I guess that means 13 were title IV? 

15 hours ago, fiofarrell17 said:

Thanks for this SFSU update! So weird because when I emailed him he told me 40 spots for for 358 applicants. I guess that means 13 were title IV? 

exactly - he said 13 spots of the 358 were reserved for the title IV applicants - an extremely selective acceptance rate, yowza! Here's hoping :) ❤️❤️ 

On 3/4/2021 at 5:15 PM, fran_c said:

I’m right there with you, Berkeley was also my top choice and I didn’t get in. Still waiting for SFSU and SJSU...and feeling really nervous given the high number of applicants this year. 

same exact boat - hoping SFSU, SJSU or CSU East Bay come through 

Hi everyone! This forum has been such a helpful space to navigate this application cycle. I was waitlisted at SFSU today, but am trying to be optimistic about my chances of getting off the wait list. 

This is the first school I've heard from, so I'm hoping to hear from SJSU and CSUEB soon. The wait is excruciating! 

2 hours ago, CAMSW21 said:

Hi everyone! This forum has been such a helpful space to navigate this application cycle. I was waitlisted at SFSU today, but am trying to be optimistic about my chances of getting off the wait list. 

This is the first school I've heard from, so I'm hoping to hear from SJSU and CSUEB soon. The wait is excruciating! 

Hi to all my fellow SFSU applicants!! I'm sending big hugs to all who are processing rejections. I got rejected from Berkeley earlier and it sucked :( crossing my fingers that you get into other programs!

CAMSW21, I also got waitlisted at SFSU! The email said I was "top of the waitlist"...wondering if that's what they tell everyone ? lol. Did they tell you a ranking? I wonder what the chances are that we get off the waitlist. I'm crossing my fingers for us both!! <3<3<3 More waiting, oh joy!! Honestly though, I am deeply humbled to have been waitlisted, the applicant pool this year seems REMARKABLE and I'm feeling imposter syndrome wrt my waitlist status. But whatever, I'll take it! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE and sending loving vibes to everyone here!! 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:40 PM, catmama89 said:

Hi to all my fellow SFSU applicants!! I'm sending big hugs to all who are processing rejections. I got rejected from Berkeley earlier and it sucked :( crossing my fingers that you get into other programs!

CAMSW21, I also got waitlisted at SFSU! The email said I was "top of the waitlist"...wondering if that's what they tell everyone ? lol. Did they tell you a ranking? I wonder what the chances are that we get off the waitlist. I'm crossing my fingers for us both!! <3<3<3 More waiting, oh joy!! Honestly though, I am deeply humbled to have been waitlisted, the applicant pool this year seems REMARKABLE and I'm feeling imposter syndrome wrt my waitlist status. But whatever, I'll take it! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE and sending loving vibes to everyone here!! 

I didn't see my ranking in Jerry's letter so you may be in a really good position to get off of the waitlist! Do you know how big the waitlist is? Hope you receive good news soon.

For those who applied to CSUEB, has anyone heard back yet? I believe they were planning to send out decisions mid-to-late March. 

On 3/18/2021 at 2:03 PM, CAMSW21 said:

I didn't see my ranking in Jerry's letter so you may be in a really good position to get off of the waitlist! Do you know how big the waitlist is? Hope you receive good news soon.

For those who applied to CSUEB, has anyone heard back yet? I believe they were planning to send out decisions mid-to-late March. 

I have no idea how long the waitlist is. Crossing my fingers for us both!!! ❤️ 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y’all - just a heads up that CSUEB is starting to send out decisions as of yesterday. I found out my financial aid situation at UCB today so I’ve accepted and am officially declining offers from all other schools. Hopefully this will mean good news for some awesome folks stuck on waitlists. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

7 hours ago, nettyspaghetti said:

Hey y’all - just a heads up that CSUEB is starting to send out decisions as of yesterday. I found out my financial aid situation at UCB today so I’ve accepted and am officially declining offers from all other schools. Hopefully this will mean good news for some awesome folks stuck on waitlists. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

Thanks for the info! I've been waiting to hear from SJSU and CSUEB. Hoping enough people decline admission so there is room for me. 

Congrats on admission to Berkeley!!!