UC Berkeley Goldman MPP 2021

d535

• d535 changed the title to UC Berkeley Goldman MPP 2021
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone out of state considering going even if they don't end up getting financial aid? Though it is a bit daunting it seems doable at GSPP compared to other top tier programs given the in state tuition the second year and the large amount of university employment positions that offer tuition remission.

5 hours ago, Mogwai said:

Anyone out of state considering going even if they don't end up getting financial aid? Though it is a bit daunting it seems doable at GSPP compared to other top tier programs given the in state tuition the second year and the large amount of university employment positions that offer tuition remission.

I'm definitely considering it. But mostly I'm just chewing my fingernails off wondering when we're all going to hear back.

15 hours ago, Mogwai said:

Same here, UCB is my dream school but I figure if I even get in it'll likely be without aid so it will certainly be a tough call given there is no guarantee of getting a student worker position

It's my dream school, too. It's weird, I remember visiting the campus when I was in high school and thinking "this is the place." I didn't even apply for undergrad. But it turns out I really want to work with one of the adjuncts at Goldman. So here we are.

Why's it your dream school?

Just got an email from the ERG program (I am applying to the ERG/MPP dual degree.) It sounds like ERG won't be release notifications until GSPP comes to their decisions, which will apparently happen mid march. So, a few more days of waiting it out I think! 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, tpip123 said:

Just got an email from the ERG program (I am applying to the ERG/MPP dual degree.) It sounds like ERG won't be release notifications until GSPP comes to their decisions, which will apparently happen mid march. So, a few more days of waiting it out I think! 

Thanks for sharing! I hope we hear back this week. It looks like letters have gone out between March 8th and 12th the last few years.

On 3/3/2021 at 1:24 PM, doublethinkplus said:

It's my dream school, too. It's weird, I remember visiting the campus when I was in high school and thinking "this is the place." I didn't even apply for undergrad. But it turns out I really want to work with one of the adjuncts at Goldman. So here we are.

Why's it your dream school?

A couple different reasons, it seems like the ideal academic experience (small class sizes, amazing profs, ability to take electives at other top ranked grad schools at UCB) and grad life style (weather, campus, bay area) also I'm not sure where I want to end up long term so a MPP from a top school like Berkeley gives me a bit of flexibility after I graduate.

Excited to hear back (hopefully) this week!

Hi everyone! I am planning to apply this coming year. Thus, I need advice from those of you who have already gone through the process:

1. I am interested in the MPP program. I have a Juris Doctor from a developing country, and I am now 38 years old. Since, they also have a mid-career program, will my age hurt my application?

2. How did you apply for a financial aid? 

Thank you!

On 3/9/2021 at 8:49 AM, HarveyBear said:

Hi everyone! I am planning to apply this coming year. Thus, I need advice from those of you who have already gone through the process:

1. I am interested in the MPP program. I have a Juris Doctor from a developing country, and I am now 38 years old. Since, they also have a mid-career program, will my age hurt my application?

2. How did you apply for a financial aid? 

Thank you!

Hey Harvey, none of us know whether or not we've gotten in yet, nor what our aid packages might look like, so we won't have much info to share with you. But based on the FAQs, age shouldn't hurt your application.

2 hours ago, Mogwai said:

Anyone have any info on how easy/likely it is to get a GSI/reader/tutor position and how much tuition remission you get? My ability to go (if accepted) probably will hinge on this.

Here's the info page for graduate student academic appointments: https://grad.berkeley.edu/financial/appointments/ The tuition remission schedule is linked to on that page.

No idea how hard it is to land a jerb, though.

1 hour ago, CCZZ said:

any idea when we're going to hear back?

anxiety is killing me

Based on my totally unsubstantiated review of Grad Cafe's results pages, we should hear within the next couple of days. Letters have gone out between March 8-12 for the last four years. But, like, COVID. So who knows.

Edited by doublethinkplus

Just now, doublethinkplus said:

Based on my totally unsubstantiated review of Grad Cafe's results pages, we should hear within the next couple of days. Letters have gone out between March 8-12 for the last four years.

That is what I have heard and expect as well. Though I was informed yesterday by my contact at the ERG program that Goldman would likely release their decision in the next two weeks. I desperately hope we don't have to wait that long! 

I am also not sure whether to check the portal or just wait for an email... from past posts it seems that no one gets a personal phone call, and updates come through email. Hope everyone is handling the anxiety better than I am! 

3 minutes ago, doublethinkplus said:

Based on my totally unsubstantiated review of Grad Cafe's results pages, we should hear within the next couple of days. Letters have gone out between March 8-12 for the last four years.

1 hour ago, CCZZ said:

any idea when we're going to hear back?

anxiety is killing me

@CCZZ is Goldman your top choice? Any other programs you are applying to? 

8 minutes ago, tpip123 said:

That is what I have heard and expect as well. Though I was informed yesterday by my contact at the ERG program that Goldman would likely release their decision in the next two weeks. I desperately hope we don't have to wait that long! 

I am also not sure whether to check the portal or just wait for an email... from past posts it seems that no one gets a personal phone call, and updates come through email. Hope everyone is handling the anxiety better than I am! 

I'm actually dying. How am I supposed to get any work done? Does it matter? The anxiety is real. The website does say to check back with them in mid-March if we haven't heard anything (or at least it did before the website update, I haven't checked since). Admissions is gonna be getting a lot of curious emails on the 15th if they don't let us know by then.

EDIT: Just checked the website. They've changed their language to "Admissions decisions are typically sent in the month of March." Definitely giving them the side-eye.

SECOND EDIT: I lied. "Please check your Spam/Junk/Events folders if you do not receive your decision by mid-March."

Edited by doublethinkplus

15 minutes ago, doublethinkplus said:

I'm actually dying. How am I supposed to get any work done? Does it matter? The anxiety is real. The website does say to check back with them in mid-March if we haven't heard anything (or at least it did before the website update, I haven't checked since). Admissions is gonna be getting a lot of curious emails on the 15th if they don't let us know by then.

EDIT: Just checked the website. They've changed their language to "Admissions decisions are typically sent in the month of March." Definitely giving them the side-eye.

SECOND EDIT: I lied. "Please check your Spam/Junk/Events folders if you do not receive your decision by mid-March."

Lol same, I'm so freaking distracted. I feel like an insane person checking this forum every 90 seconds. How are you feeling about your chances?? Depending on the day I feel super great then super mediocre.