UC Berkeley Goldman MPP 2021

d535

4 minutes ago, tpip123 said:

Lol same, I'm so freaking distracted. I feel like an insane person checking this forum every 90 seconds. How are you feeling about your chances?? Depending on the day I feel super great then super mediocre. 

This is the most relatable thing I’ve seen all day! The idea of not being able to make a decision - or at least have all the information - for another two weeks is very anxiety-provoking haha. I’m going to need to find some better distractions...

Just now, tpip123 said:

Lol same, I'm so freaking distracted. I feel like an insane person checking this forum every 90 seconds. How are you feeling about your chances?? Depending on the day I feel super great then super mediocre. 

Lol. Exactly the same, tbh. The area I want to focus on is very specific (data collection in the carceral system and its policy implications), and one of the only academics who's produced any work on it is an adjunct at Goldman. I actually didn't apply to any other programs because I couldn't find professors that would have been a good fit. I'm just above average academically for the program, so I waffle between being super confident and totally hopeless. What are you hoping to study?

3 minutes ago, LDmpp21 said:

This is the most relatable thing I’ve seen all day! The idea of not being able to make a decision - or at least have all the information - for another two weeks is very anxiety-provoking haha. I’m going to need to find some better distractions...

Wait. Is checking the forum every other breath not a healthy distraction? Damn. Maybe I should take advantage of Oregon's decrim status...

8 minutes ago, doublethinkplus said:

Lol. Exactly the same, tbh. The area I want to focus on is very specific (data collection in the carceral system and its policy implications), and one of the only academics who's produced any work on it is an adjunct at Goldman. I actually didn't apply to any other programs because I couldn't find professors that would have been a good fit. I'm just above average academically for the program, so I waffle between being super confident and totally hopeless. What are you hoping to study?

Nice - sounds super interesting.

I am interested in food & agriculture policy--- Cal has the Berkeley Food Institute and there are some specific profs I'd be excited to work with. I didn't submit the GRE but have a 3.7 GPA and 6 years of work experience, so I hope that outweighs the lack of GRE... I have been playing the dangerous game of "if I got into Duke and UCLA, Goldman should accept me right??" But it also feels like a crapshoot... I have heard Berkeley is being extra selective this year. 

4 minutes ago, tpip123 said:

Nice - sounds super interesting.

I am interested in food & agriculture policy--- Cal has the Berkeley Food Institute and there are some specific profs I'd be excited to work with. I didn't submit the GRE but have a 3.7 GPA and 6 years of work experience, so I hope that outweighs the lack of GRE... I have been playing the dangerous game of "if I got into Duke and UCLA, Goldman should accept me right??" But it also feels like a crapshoot... I have heard Berkeley is being extra selective this year. 

Well damn, dude. I think your chances are good if you got into UCLA and Duke. Kinda makes me wish I'd applied as a barometer.

I have a 3.8 and ten years of work experience, and good GRE scores (high 90th percentile across the board). But still worried because my life has been... very interesting. In a way that makes it tough to apply for jobs unless I can tell them my whole life story. My personal history statement was six pages long, and my aunt, who's a dean at Loyola, told me not to take out a single word. Le shrug.

I'm rooting for you. So are Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha.

1 minute ago, doublethinkplus said:

Well damn, dude. I think your chances are good if you got into UCLA and Duke. Kinda makes me wish I'd applied as a barometer.

I have a 3.8 and ten years of work experience, and good GRE scores (high 90th percentile across the board). But still worried because my life has been... very interesting. In a way that makes it tough to apply for jobs unless I can tell them my whole life story. My personal history statement was six pages long, and my aunt, who's a dean at Loyola, told me not to take out a single word. Le shrug.

I'm rooting for you. So are Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha.

Damn dude right back at you! Sounds like you have a really strong profile. It also sounds like you were able to share your unique story in the PHS, which goes a long way. I'm also rooting for you--- I'm sure we'll be hearing from each other as decisions comes out. It's nice just to have someone to debrief with while we drown in our own anxieties! 

Your SATC reference made me lol, needed that, thank you. 

1 hour ago, tpip123 said:

@CCZZ is Goldman your top choice? Any other programs you are applying to? 

Well, I applied to GSPP, SPIA and SIPA, so I haven't had any news yet. That's the reason I'm refreshing my mail and this forum all day long. Zero productivity at work these days. I have GPA 3.7 and very strong LOR but medium GRE and I am an international applicant, so I don't know what to expect. I only want an answer, that's all haha

Hope the waiting ends asap

15 hours ago, CCZZ said:

Well, I applied to GSPP, SPIA and SIPA, so I haven't had any news yet. That's the reason I'm refreshing my mail and this forum all day long. Zero productivity at work these days. I have GPA 3.7 and very strong LOR but medium GRE and I am an international applicant, so I don't know what to expect. I only want an answer, that's all haha

Hope the waiting ends asap

All my deadlines at work are ruined because I keep logging in to the portal every 2 minutes! Damn, all of you have great experience! Good luck, everyone! I got into UChicago & Georgetown for their MPP program, so I'm hoping Berkeley goes well too (probably I shouldn't complain). Inner turmoil is real as Berkeley is my top choice 

Received an offer but no scholarship :(

Edit - can I negotiate for a better offer? SAIS is pretty generous with their offer but I think I'd enjoy SF more.

Edited by sbibibi

4 minutes ago, sbibibi said:

Received an offer but no scholarship :(

Edit - can I negotiate a better offer? SAIS is pretty generous with their offer but I think I'd enjoy SF more.

Congratulations!! I negotiated with other universities for a better offer. I’m guessing you could try that. 

My anxiety levels are at the peaks now

I just got it too and am waitlisted. It says they anticipate being able to tell waitlisted folks whether they’re in or not on April 20 - not super excited to wait! I also assume there’s not much chance of getting funding once waitlisted so I’m considering removing myself from the list at some point. Any insight would be appreciated! Congrats to all who were accepted!

8 minutes ago, LDmpp21 said:

I just got it too and am waitlisted. It says they anticipate being able to tell waitlisted folks whether they’re in or not on April 20 - not super excited to wait! I also assume there’s not much chance of getting funding once waitlisted so I’m considering removing myself from the list at some point. Any insight would be appreciated! Congrats to all who were accepted!

Also waitlisted, absolutely devastated. would also like to hear folks thoughts but I assume that we have to hope for a chance to pay sticker price at this point ugh

Edited by Mogwai

Hi all! 

I also got accepted but no funding but am SO EXCITED!!! Hoping to leverage other offers, but it also seems like GSI/GSR positions are available. Congrats to the others that got in! And to those that got waitlisted--- you all are still so badass and will go on to do amazing things, regardless of whether you make it through to Goldman. I'll be rooting for you! 

40 minutes ago, mppapplicant2021 said:

Just got the email--in at Goldman!! 15k first year and 5k second year. I'm so excited!!!

WOW! That is fantastic, congratulations. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am considering leveraging other offers and trying to figure out my chances. 

I'm also waitlisted - bummed! I just posted on the results page, but my stats are: GPA 3.8, GRE V/Q/W: 165, 161, 5.5, and I have three years of work experience at a DC think tank. Big congratulations to those admitted. For anyone curious, here's the email: 

--

Your application for admission to the MPP program at the Goldman School of Public Policy is being held for further consideration. It has been a very difficult task making admissions decisions from this year’s pool of talented applicants. Although we cannot currently offer you admission, we have put you on our waitlist.  

You are clearly very qualified for our program and could contribute to the School substantially. It is quite possible that we will offer admission to a number of people on the waitlist. We do not know what proportion of our offers of admission will be accepted. We will know whether or not we will be able to offer spaces in next year's class to people on the waitlist after April 20th. We realize that this uncertainty may be difficult for you. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. 

Hi everyone! Really excited to finally get an answer, I also got in with 15k first year and 5k second year! I was 98% sure I was going to accept my offer to LBJ but this makes it so much harder. I went to Cal for my undergrad so if anyone wants to ask me any questions about Berkeley let me know!

18 minutes ago, tpip123 said:

WOW! That is fantastic, congratulations. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am considering leveraging other offers and trying to figure out my chances. 

Congrats to you too for getting accepted! I had a 3.48 GPA, 164 Q / 167 V / 5.0 AW, but I think my WE of 3 years at a think tank and 5 years part-time research all in the same area were my stronger points. It's all so much of a luck game, and I feel really blessed. Good luck to everyone else, this has been a tough year!