Indiana University Bloomington - 2021

Rekhmire

I'm waiting on a funding offer from the French Linguistics program! As far as I know so are the rest of the admitted students in the cohort. If I get funded that's where I'm going 100%. I was offered a virtual visit and am doing that this week with faculty and current graduate students.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:03 PM, kso1634 said:

I'm waiting on a funding offer from the French Linguistics program! As far as I know so are the rest of the admitted students in the cohort. If I get funded that's where I'm going 100%. I was offered a virtual visit and am doing that this week with faculty and current graduate students.

I am also waiting on funding for the School Psychology PhD program. I have not heard back about university or school of ed fellowships I was nominated for. I applied to three assistantships that I hope I get but interviews for those will be this month. 

If I get funding, I'll 100% be attending, it is just waiting time till April 15th. 

Do you know if all programs do a virtual visit? I had a ton of meet and greet activities during my interview week but I am unsure if my program offers one for admitted students.  

I will be.  I applied to the Counseling Psychology Ph.D., interviewed, and did not get in.  They were kind enough to consider my application for the Clinical Mental Health Counseling masters and granted admission. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 4:20 PM, Edminzodo said:

Hi all, well done on your admissions! Is anyone searching for housing yet? How's it going? I'm finding it particularly challenging at the moment, especially from abroad. 

I am! I have been looking on rent.com and found several good apartment complexes in the general area of Bloomington. 

4 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

I am! I have been looking on rent.com and found several good apartment complexes in the general area of Bloomington. 

Do you have any recommendations? Every time I find a one, I check Reddit and there are terrible reviews.... Plus, I don't have a car, and I am only on an MA stipend of $16,000, so I'm a lot more limited than most. 

9 minutes ago, Edminzodo said:

Do you have any recommendations? Every time I find a one, I check Reddit and there are terrible reviews.... Plus, I don't have a car, and I am only on an MA stipend of $16,000, so I'm a lot more limited than most. 

Hmm. I would try to find one in the general vicinity of the IU Bus routes. I have a car and would need parking for me and my fiance since he will be commuting to IUPUI for MSW classes a few times a week. I mainly looked at places farther away since they have better pricing for what we were looking for so I don't have any general recommendations for places. 

I would reach out to your program about grad housing boards where you could find a roommate. Those would be the most affordable on your stipend and you could probably find something affordable near campus or a bus route. For example, the Sassafras Hill community has 2-bedroom apartments on the IU bus route and rent is around 700$. You could split that evenly and with electricity, water and other utilities only spend around >500$ a month on rent. 

1 hour ago, JakiraJakira said:

Hmm. I would try to find one in the general vicinity of the IU Bus routes. I have a car and would need parking for me and my fiance since he will be commuting to IUPUI for MSW classes a few times a week. I mainly looked at places farther away since they have better pricing for what we were looking for so I don't have any general recommendations for places. 

I would reach out to your program about grad housing boards where you could find a roommate. Those would be the most affordable on your stipend and you could probably find something affordable near campus or a bus route. For example, the Sassafras Hill community has 2-bedroom apartments on the IU bus route and rent is around 700$. You could split that evenly and with electricity, water and other utilities only spend around >500$ a month on rent. 

Ah, you're lucky to have a car. I think I'll ask my course directors if they can put me in touch with people. I'll have a look at Sassafras though, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Edminzodo said:

Ah, you're lucky to have a car. I think I'll ask my course directors if they can put me in touch with people. I'll have a look at Sassafras though, thank you. 

Yeah! I see you are from the UK. Public transit is so much worse in the US so outside of our biggest cities it is very difficult to live and work close together. My home town of 40k people was barely accessible by public transit (and even then it was spotty). If I wanted a job I had to commute with a car. It’s a barrier that many in the US have to getting jobs, going to college etc. I would say most people have cars in the US where I am from. Less so in places like New York or Los Angeles. 

• 4 weeks later...

What are people doing about finding living arrangements in Bloomington? I'm not from Indiana (I've only ever driven through the state), and am not quite sure of how to go about moving.