Anyone else accepted to UT Health?

drunkenduck

I was accepted to the Behavioral Sciences and Health Promotion PhD program a couple of months ago, and I was wondering if anyone else on here was accepted to the school of public health, and what are your thoughts on the school? 

I'm not sure what to think about it! It's ranked 23rd, which is pretty good, but they also don't guarantee funding, which seems kind of sketchy.

Any thoughts? Pertinent information? Will you accept your offer or no? I'd love to chat about it.

Hey! I was accepted to the Epidemiology PhD program also a few months ago. I applied for the Austin campus because i was hoping to work with a specific advisor there. However, in the emails they sent, I was assigned a different advisor. I think I'm hesitant because it is a satellite campus. I would also like to hear other peoples thoughts on UT Health since I would love to be in Austin but I'm not confident that I will accept the offer. I also reached out to someone on reddit and this is what they said:

Ok, so UT is kind of weird in that it's not a traditional funding situation. You can very easily get a GRA/TA position, but you will still be required to pay tuition/fees; there is no tuition waiver. If you get one of those positions or a scholarship, you'll qualify for in state tuition which is very affordable. Your advisor is definitely the person to start talking to about that, I would recommend reaching out to student services to ask who is your assigned advisor. Note that it will be your academic advisor to start, you don't have to do your dissertation with that person. Some students do struggle with funding as it can change semester to semester

Hi, thank you for starting this thread. I got accepted to the DrPH in Health Promotion & Health Education at UT Health Austin campus. I think the SPH as a whole is a good school. Good rankings, good resources to the larger UT system. It ranks a bit lower on my personal list, and I may not accept the spot since I've heard back from other programs. 

I wish I could be more help for the PhD. But I'm happy to chat through anything. Thanks!

@brightbluebirdsThanks for the information, that jives with what I've been able to piece together as well! I've also heard that a lot of students get jobs at the Anderson Medical Center, because they pay better than the assistantships (although that's not much help to you in Austin). The lack of tuition waiver is a little worrisome to me, because it doesn't seem very supportive, you know? And I've heard so many times that one should never pay for their PhD...

Austin does seem like a cool city to live, though! I live in the Midwest, so Texas is going to be a big change for me. Granted, after seeing Texas in the news so much recently, I'm a little less excited about making the move ?

@DrPH21 Thanks for responding! It's low on my personal list as well, but I'm starting to think it's going to be my only option ? Congrats on your other acceptances!

1 hour ago, drunkenduck said:

I was accepted to the Behavioral Sciences and Health Promotion PhD program a couple of months ago, and I was wondering if anyone else on here was accepted to the school of public health, and what are your thoughts on the school? 

I'm not sure what to think about it! It's ranked 23rd, which is pretty good, but they also don't guarantee funding, which seems kind of sketchy.

Any thoughts? Pertinent information? Will you accept your offer or no? I'd love to chat about it.

I got accepted too for the phD-epidemiology program in Dallas. Yes I have been wondering about funding as well. I will accept because it is where i live and with children, it just makes sense. I just don't know who to talk to about funding 

Edited by denify

@drunkenduck Thank you!

I know funding is a large component of the PhD decision making process. Another question would be - do you feel the program was a good fit for what you are looking for? (faculty, research, etc.) The PhD is a big commitment, there is no pressure to accept this offer if it's not something you want for the next 5-6 years. (I understand it may mean applying again next cycle, but just wanted to throw that out there). :) 

Hi,

I applied to the PhD in Health Promo (Dallas campus) and still waiting decision. I am also currently taking graduate level classes at UT Health. It made financial sense for me to apply to UT Health with in-state tuition. If accepted, I need to figure out how to continue to work and attend classes during the daytime.

Z.

13 minutes ago, DrPH21 said:

@drunkenduck Thank you!

I know funding is a large component of the PhD decision making process. Another question would be - do you feel the program was a good fit for what you are looking for? (faculty, research, etc.) The PhD is a big commitment, there is no pressure to accept this offer if it's not something you want for the next 5-6 years. (I understand it may mean applying again next cycle, but just wanted to throw that out there). :) 

You bring up a good point, I have been focusing mostly on funding and ignoring the other pieces of the puzzle! In truth, this program has the best research fit out of all the programs I applied to. I have kind of a niche area, and the professor who would be my advisor is doing exactly what I want to do. I kind of forgot about that in my concern about funding, thank you for reminding me!

5 minutes ago, drunkenduck said:

You bring up a good point, I have been focusing mostly on funding and ignoring the other pieces of the puzzle! In truth, this program has the best research fit out of all the programs I applied to. I have kind of a niche area, and the professor who would be my advisor is doing exactly what I want to do. I kind of forgot about that in my concern about funding, thank you for reminding me!

I'm glad it's a good research fit and sounds like the professor/advisor you'd be working with is a good match to your professional interests! There's definitely a lot that goes into accepting a program. Sometimes I think of it as a heart vs. brain thing = what are the benefits of working with XYZ that aligns with my passions compared to the logistics of funding/cost of living/etc. There's isn't a wrong answer, per se. It's just reflecting what is most in alignment with you at this moment in time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, drunkenduck said:

Did you accept? or did you decide on other program? 

6 minutes ago, denify said:

Did you accept? or did you decide on other program? 

I'm still waiting to hear from one last program, but I'm pretty sure I will be accepting UT Health!

Hello

I have been accepted to health economics PH.D. program.  I also have not been told about the funding yet.  They had said decision comes separately and I need to wait for it.

If any alumni or current student can suggest the scenario it will be grateful.  I think it is a good program.

Thanks

On 2/24/2021 at 2:35 PM, Zman said:

Hi,

I applied to the PhD in Health Promo (Dallas campus) and still waiting decision. I am also currently taking graduate level classes at UT Health. It made financial sense for me to apply to UT Health with in-state tuition. If accepted, I need to figure out how to continue to work and attend classes during the daytime.

Z.

did you hear back yet?

13 minutes ago, denify said:

oh no! do you have any other offers? 

wishing you the best..

I figured I am going to get an MPH first and then focus on PhD. Being a non-traditional doctoral candidate proved a little tough, I guess. Thank you for asking. Hope you found what you were looking for! Wishing you best as well. 

8 hours ago, coffeemate said:

Hi everyone I applied to UT Health back in November for their priority deadline. My portal still says my application is under review ? Does anyone else's portal still say their app is under review? I'm wondering if I should take this as a loss. 

My acceptance came like three months ago, so I'm guessing you're either rejected or possibly waitlisted. I'd email them and ask for an update!

I applied to UT Health too and there is an advisor I have great interest in. Has anyone reached to faculty and I would like to see how likely they would provide fundings/GRA? A student I talked to found it hard to find GRAs.

Also, does anyone know about how the reputation in the job market is? I am in East coast now so if I hadn’t actively looking at UT Health, I really did not know much.

Hi guys!

I got accepted into UTHealth Environmental Health - Disease Prevention Track and I have accepted the offer, as it was also the only good offer I received. And logistically, it made a lot more sense to me. 

I would love to connect with incoming PhD students to the cohort!