Soc Masters - Let's Talk About It

letsgetit21

With such a competitive cycle, I'm curious as to why so many of us are turning away from MA/MS programs in Sociology? Is there an inherent negative to doing so? My faculty mentors have consistently told me if I'm rejected from PhD programs and dedicated to the field then a funded MA program is a viable alternative. Why does everyone seem to be so against it?

Personally, I've applied to 4 MA and or MS programs in Sociology as a back up to being rejected from PhD programs. Thus far, I've received one offer of admission into the Master's Program with a funded teaching assistantship & tuition waiver, and I'm awaiting results from the other 3 programs.

Thoughts, comments, concerns, questions, quandaries? I'd love to discuss!

That's kinda what I did when I was rejected from every PhD program in my first cycle - I applied to funded MA programs, got in, did well here, and I have a few offers under my belt now. I think it is a viable option that can certainly benefit you if done correctly.

I think it is because a lot of MA programs do not offer the so-called "full funding." But even without the "full funding" promises, a lot of MA programs offer scholarships. I applied some MA programs as well because I heard you can transfer your credits to PhD programs - not sure how it works, but it is a thing apparently. I already have a MA from another discipline, so getting another MA seemed unnecessary. However, if I can transfer my credits to PhD, then its worth it I think.

I wish I had applied to more MA programs!! I already have an MS in another field, and I really resisted the idea of doing another master's just to turn around and do a PhD program, mostly because of the extra time it would take. I am strongly committed to not taking on more debt for any program, but I really did not understand the different funding options. I also thought I actually had a chance at getting into a program with my current credentials.

My thinking has evolved, lol. More MA programs offer funding than I realized, I feel like I really need the MA experience to make myself competitive to PhD programs. Since I'm coming from a different field, the chance to refine my research interests would be really valuable, especially without the immediate pressure of a PhD. At this point I would actually prefer to do an MA first, all things being equal. If my master's was in a more closely related field or research-based, I don't know if I'd be so willing to do the MA. I think it would feel like more of a step backward in that case.

Just now, Ami said:

I wish I had applied to more MA programs!! I already have an MS in another field, and I really resisted the idea of doing another master's just to turn around and do a PhD program, mostly because of the extra time it would take. I am strongly committed to not taking on more debt for any program, but I really did not understand the different funding options. I also thought I actually had a chance at getting into a program with my current credentials.

My thinking has evolved, lol. More MA programs offer funding than I realized, I feel like I really need the MA experience to make myself competitive to PhD programs. Since I'm coming from a different field, the chance to refine my research interests would be really valuable, especially without the immediate pressure of a PhD. At this point I would actually prefer to do an MA first, all things being equal. If my master's was in a more closely related field or research-based, I don't know if I'd be so willing to do the MA. I think it would feel like more of a step backward in that case.

It's really not too late. Most MA/MS Sociology programs still have their applications open. They're a bit harder to find than the PhD programs, but they're out there

21 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

I think it is because a lot of MA programs do not offer the so-called "full funding." But even without the "full funding" promises, a lot of MA programs offer scholarships. I applied some MA programs as well because I heard you can transfer your credits to PhD programs - not sure how it works, but it is a thing apparently. I already have a MA from another discipline, so getting another MA seemed unnecessary. However, if I can transfer my credits to PhD, then its worth it I think.

I thought the same thing at first, but I really found they were overall less competitive this cycle. An excellent fit on a MAster's program is likely to yield good results for PhD applications later on 

I think it can be a solid way to go as long as you're funded. The only concern I can think of (which stems from a lack of knowledge) is whether or not grad schools will look at your application with more scrutiny since you will be further along in the process. That might not necessarily be a bad thing though if you have a kick-butt thesis.  Either way, just something to consider ☺️

As a European, what’s everyone’s opinion on waiting it out on a - compared to US standards - cheap European Master‘s programme (like Amsterdam’s excellent Social Science Research MSc) and reapplying in 2 years? or is the foot in the door one could have with a programme like MAPSS preferable to that?

Several current grad students and faculty at the Universities I applied to have signalled that my application would have been good enough any other year, but with more competition for fewer spots just not this cycle... but I also don’t want to spend another year placing my luck in the hand of admissions committees.

16 hours ago, cranky said:

As a European, what’s everyone’s opinion on waiting it out on a - compared to US standards - cheap European Master‘s programme (like Amsterdam’s excellent Social Science Research MSc) and reapplying in 2 years? or is the foot in the door one could have with a programme like MAPSS preferable to that?

Several current grad students and faculty at the Universities I applied to have signalled that my application would have been good enough any other year, but with more competition for fewer spots just not this cycle... but I also don’t want to spend another year placing my luck in the hand of admissions committees.

This is a good question. The advice I've received is that the more research experience on your application, the better. If you can still research while applying to PhD next fall, I'd say to wait. Otherwise, I'd recommend pursuing a Masters - so long as it's funded - wherever you have the best "fit."

On 2/25/2021 at 9:40 AM, cranky said:

If you're aiming for PhD programs in the US, I think it's generally better to do an MA program in the US. If you want to do MA in Europe, Science Po's MA program has a higher yield rate for PhD programs based on my limited impressions.

In general, I think it's really helpful to get an MA from a prestige university (such as Chicago, Michigan, UPenn, NYU) in the US before applying to PhD programs, at least this is the case for international students. It's certainly not impossible to get in without an MA as an international, but it's been very hard these days.

Edited by socio1251

Here in California, we have another system of of universities called the "California State University" (or Cal States for short) as opposed to the "University of California" system (UC). They're more numerous than UCs actually. They're teaching oriented, rather than research oriented, thus they do not grant Ph.D.s. On the other hand, they do grant masters degrees. They tend to place people in good institutions too, for a good price. My local Cal State has placed people in Ivy Leagues and Stanford, and UC's look at Cal State applicants favorably. From what I gather, the quality of education is on par with their UC counterparts. You can do a thesis, take an exam, and you are mentored by a faculty of Ph.D.s. 

Even though the schools are teaching focused, the professors still research and publish as a requirement for tenure. Thus every CalState has its own research strengths and you're likely to find a professor and school that teachers what you're interested in. They're pretty accessible too. I called a few professors at a few CalStates and was able to get a zoom call within a couple of days. 

Hopefully this is a good option for those of you who want to live the California dream but can't quite get into the UC yet. :)

Edited by NeckPocket