Ancient Greek summer intensive courses?

ahsam

I need to take intensive Greek this summer to prep for my PhD program in art history (Byzantine). Aiming for reading knowledge, starting as a Beginner. Suggestions for which programs are best? Since everything is online, I have lots of options. Currently looking at Harvard, U Chicago, Catholic University, Berkeley, UT Austin. Thank you!

I did the summer intensive at the University College Cork in 2019! It was really affordable, even considering the overseas flights and lodgings for the summer. I think they're doing it online this year, so time zones might be tough if you're in North America, but it was a fantastic program and I learned so much! I went in with no ancient language knowledge and did totally fine, and people with a Latin background had no issues. We spent the first 6 weeks working on building grammar and vocab, and we spent the last 2 weeks reading Lysias' speeches. 

I'm learning ancient Greek with Belfast Classics right now and they have a summer session that's one or two weeks (you choose) and it's really great. Helen McVeigh is an awesome instructor. The time zone change from Ireland is a bit intense because of where I live but I'll keep getting up at 6:30 am until I get through all their offered modules.

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking to do a summer intensive in Greek and weighing my options. I haven't done research on all the programs you've mentioned, but it seems like Berkeley's program is the easiest to register for as a non-UC student and least expensive.

• 1 month later...

I second @AnxiousAwaiter's suggestion of the CUNY Latin/Greek Institute.  I did their Upper-level Latin program last summer and it was a tremendously rewarding experience.  The LGI also has tuition scholarships you can apply for.  They even have a fellowship specifically for art students.  The Society of Classical Studies is another potential funding source you can look into.  However, you might be out of luck if you want to do their Basic Program in Greek this year as they are only offering the Upper-level Programs this summer.  But they will offer Basic Programs in Greek and Latin again in summer 2022.

• 2 months later...

I know that this thread is a little old at this point, but I am currently taking the Berkeley Greek Workshop and I highly recommend it! It goes pretty fast, tbh, but it's a good mix of grammar/vocab and reading (first 6 weeks are grammar and vocab, second 4 weeks are prose and poetry readings). It's a lot of work since it meets every day and you have to get through a chapter/night of the textbook during the first part, but it's manageable; I'd imagine most intensive programs would function similarly in amount of course material and pace. The instructors are very approachable outside of class, which helps balance out the pacing since you can always ask questions if you get confused. So if anyone is looking into an intensive Ancient Greek program for next summer, I'd recommend Berkeley.