35 minutes ago, povertypolicypolly said:

I'm in the US and received an acceptance this morning! I'm honestly shocked. Good luck to everyone who hasn't yet heard!

Im also from the US and got in. Over the moon! Congrats to all those admitted!

This is a post for future applicants. 

Do not bother applying for the OXFORD MPP, Unless you have significant (at least a decade's) worth of experience in Public Policy + A reference from a very senior official like Prime Minister/President or similar giving you an outstanding recommendation. 

If you only have about 5 years public policy experience - The only way you will obtain an offer is if you went to Oxford for undergrad, or have some personal connection to the Dean of the BSG or the admissions team (Old Boys Network). Or you come from some super rich family that is willing to donate to the Oxford library or something .

Now The Oxford MPP course is extremely competitive. Literally don't bother unless you are some senior Government official. Just look at the current class that they post, all with tons of experience + Graduated with a 4.0 from an ivy league more than a decade ago....    

1 hour ago, Monkeys uncle said:

Do not bother applying for the OXFORD MPP, Unless you have significant (at least a decade's) worth of experience in Public Policy + A reference from a very senior official like Prime Minister/President or similar giving you an outstanding recommendation. 

If you only have about 5 years public policy experience - The only way you will obtain an offer is if you went to Oxford for undergrad, or have some personal connection to the Dean of the BSG or the admissions team (Old Boys Network). Or you come from some super rich family that is willing to donate to the Oxford library or something .

Now The Oxford MPP course is extremely competitive. Literally don't bother unless you are some senior Government official. Just look at the current class that they post, all with tons of experience + Graduated with a 4.0 from an ivy league more than a decade ago....    

For future applicants

I actually disagree. I was accepted this year with no connection to Oxford and a family of school teachers, three years out of undergrad at a mid-tier U.S. research university (not Ivy), 3.83/4.0 GPA, 158Q/164V/5.5AW GRE, with mid-level jobs in NGOs for the three years I have been out of school. I am international (US) so that helps, and I speak Spanish fluently. Also, I only had my professors and my work supervisors write references (no government officials here!). Honestly I was surprised I was accepted, but I really encourage people to give it a go. The most important thing is to have a very strong reason *why* you want to go, and to really spend a lot of time *perfecting* your statement of purpose. I also really encourage people to choose people who know you well and who hold you in high esteem to write your letters, rather than someone with a high ranking title. I fully, entirely believe that I won a lucky draw. However, I don't think it's fair to deter people entirely from even trying. 

21 hours ago, Monkeys uncle said:

I also disagree with this. I applied as well and haven’t heard which I believe may be a rejection at this point. However, this is a very dangerous statement to opine. Different folks of different backgrounds are admitted every year and it’s unfair to discourage others due to your own misfortunes. I’m sorry the wait and silence have been unbearable. It’s driving me crazy too but please stay away from unprovable conclusions of this sort.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:24 PM, UKPolicyEnthusiast said:

Do people have thoughts between oxford MPP (no funding) and Columbia MPA ($$$)? 

I have a similar question but for Berkeley MPP and Oxford MPP. At sticker price they are essentially the same for me, I'm leaning toward Oxford but my only worry is that it will be tough to integrate back into the US job market (hoping to work in NGO/government partnerships). 

Also, my understanding is that funding is still possible for Oxford, but decisions won't be released until later, correct? Be sure to check your admit letter- there is a form due on Tuesday to apply for funding!

On 3/19/2021 at 10:33 PM, UKPolicyEnthusiast said:

They end up being pretty comparable in cost - as Columbia is two years and New York is expensive! I’m also keen to get thoughts on employability and also experience levels for admits (I’m in my 30s).

I tend to think gaining a qualification from a prestigious institution abroad is viewed more favourably in the job market, as it makes you stand out a bit more. So if you're already UK-based, Columbia might be better... also, then you'd get to live in NYC instead of Oxford (NYC has so much more going on as a city). 

On 3/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, UKPolicyEnthusiast said:

Hello - yes - hoping to move into the public sector from the private sector (I’m in financial services). Also very keen to build some new skills and build a stronger public sector network. My ideal job would be at an IFI. Thank you ! 

Do the 2 year program as you will need a summer internship.