HKS MC/MPA and Masons Fall 2021

Hello!

Seeing as we have been piggy-backing on the MPP 2021 thread, a few of us thought to start our own thread for a more focused discussion and not flood the young ones with our unique set of concerns.  Everyone who applied, was accepted, rejected or waitlisted stand to benefit from the discussion here, so everyone is welcome.

I for one am having a hard time grasping at the financial requirements (no funding received) as well as the toll on family so would love to have some discussion on that.

Rejected, but keeping hope up for a repeat of last year where rejected candidates were moved to waitlist spots as so many accepted applicants declined. Will update this thread when/if I hear further. I thought my app was quite strong (essays/recs/resume)- almost 20 years work experience in private sector across the globe, so so academics and no GMAT. I did receive the magazine. 

Waitlisted for Mason MC/MPA. I am certain that Mason MC/MPA will get to know earlier than Apr 30 given the early start at the campus. But at the same time, I also think that refusals would also be very low for MC/MPA in general as people tend to have savings after years of work experience. So lack of fin aid, if that's the case, may not impact the same way as it might do to a MPP/MPA candidates. Thoughts?

Also, is there anything happening around covid-related deferral policy this year? Does anyone know when it was clarified (how many days/weeks after the initial results) last year?

2 hours ago, SpiffyLoki said:

But at the same time, I also think that refusals would also be very low for MC/MPA in general as people tend to have savings after years of work experience. So lack of fin aid, if that's the case, may not impact the same way as it might do to a MPP/MPA candidates. Thoughts?

It can be true for the MC/MPA in general, but may be not for Mason program where many of the applicants are coming from countries with much lower income compared to developed countries. It can be hard if they got admitted but with no or only a small portion of funding.

Hi, and thanks for starting this thread! Looking forward to getting to know everyone. I haven't decided but am mostly sure I'll attend this year (non-Mason MC/MPA), despite the lack of funding. I'm attending the info session this morning...hope to meet some of you there!

3 hours ago, nkrish21 said:

same boat as many others- got admit but 0 funding...wondering what to make of it? And someone asked - yes I'm thinking of moving with family.

What I’ve noticed with a lot of these MC programs is that funding is very scarce. I applied to the NYU and Columbia program two years ago and received nothing in funding. Actually, I think I got $5,000 from Columbia but nothing significant 

11 hours ago, escondido41 said:

To those admitted, but undecided, what are your othe options?  Is anyone considering LSE's EMPA, or maybe other non-policy options?

I heard some will go to Princeton MPP where the tuition is covered..

Yale's MAS do not offer any scholarship. I haven't heard about Harris' MAIDP, Goldman's MPA, or SIPA's one year MPA..

The mid-career summer program is confirmed to be online. Harvard does plan to resume in person teaching this fall onward as long as no unexpected developments take place in context of Covid-19. They will release final decision on it in late-May. I still think it will be, very least, a hybrid teaching method in the first semester as I don't expect a complete smooth sailing away from the virus

https://harvardmagazine.com/2021/03/harvard-return-to-campus-august-2

Edited by SpiffyLoki

On 3/23/2021 at 6:25 PM, haroldhar said:

The ride is just beginning. I would expect many turning it down as MC/MPAs due to the booming post pandemic domestic economy and intl students still in visa/vaccine limbo. 

Not sure I see why a booming economy means people will defer on accepting a place in a Masters program. Maybe I’m missing something?