Updated Forum Software

bgk

Hi All,

Since it's quiet around here at the moment I have decided to install the latest "beta" version of the forum software on the board. This release appears to be quite good although there are probably a few bugs still. I will update the released version as soon as it's available, in the meantime there are lots of new features, including

• Twitter and Facebook integration (Including pictures and status updates)
  • Ability to respond to status messages (and see all messages)
  • Post soft deletion (so you can now delete your own posts, but be warned mods can easily reinstate them!) and we may or may not leave this feature enabled ...
  • Notification system (easier way to be notified when someone replies to your posts/status updates etc)
  • Social networking links (at the bottom of each topic) so that you can easily share links
  • Support for a new iPhone app

Lots more too. Hopefully those of you who are still around will enjoy playing around with the new stuff!

The Twitter option in the profile section, under "Manage Twitter Connect" is not working. When you click on the link to "Connect with Twitter" it goes to an empty page.

OK .... Both Twitter and Facebook integration should now work! Thanks for letting me know.

Two things about the new forum software:

1. Whenever I get a new something (friend add, profile comment, private message), I get an e-mail saying it's a "new personal conversation." So I think someone's talking to me privately, which is usually not the case.
  2. I have to go through three steps to totally dismiss a new notification -- 1) look at e-mail, 2) look at forum private message, 3) look at "notification" -- before I even read the actual note or comment I received! Otherwise, there's still a "1" or indicator that I have something new, even though it isn't new and I've already acknowledged it.

Hope that makes sense. I wasn't sure how to best describe it. Anyhow, is there a way I can deal with this in my settings (and still get e-mail notifications), or is this a forum-wide software glitch?

Edited by Jae B.

This is probably to do with your notification settings. It looks like they are set to send a PM by default when someone adds you as a friend, hence the Email notification saying someone started a conversation with you ...

If you tweak the settings I think you can get a direct email notification instead.

This is probably to do with your notification settings. It looks like they are set to send a PM by default when someone adds you as a friend, hence the Email notification saying someone started a conversation with you ...

If you tweak the settings I think you can get a direct email notification instead.

Thank you! You're right. I switched everything to direct e-mail notification. I'm a little confused as to why I was getting essentially three notifications for most things instead of just one, since everything was set to only one notification style (either e-mail or in-line notification), but hopefully this fixes it!

I appreciate your investigation. :) Maybe you should help Facebook with their privacy preferences.