2022 Application Thread

dr. t

52 minutes ago, censoredbybigtech said:

ep, my other account had limited action warnings and I assumed it was likely a glitch or restriction by mod.

This is, quite simply, a lie. Your account had no warnings or restrictions before you tried trolling. It now requires a mod approval on all posts until April, as everyone can see here:

dyjNRbb.png

The second account has been banned as trolling and abuse, as has this account. If you have difficulty logging into your original account, please follow the steps outlined there, rather than creating a new one.

In any case, none of this stands up to the supposed story of a longtime lurker who hadn't spoken up sooner, and I'm not interested in debating the point. Further accounts will simply be deleted as spam.

Sorry to the rest of the forum for clogging the thread with these, but this is my attempt to be absolutely transparent about mod actions.

2 hours ago, Onthesamegalaxy said:

South Asianist here. I applied to 6 schools and so far got rejected in two. No acceptance or waiting. Did you apply to Michigan? Do they ask for interviews?

Hey! I do not know if Michigan conducts interviews... If anyone knows, please advise? Rejections are very, very hard... I've had several so far... I'm starting to think maybe this is a bad year for South Asianist? But you still have four options left! Here's hoping you receive some good news soon! Good luck to you! ?

1 minute ago, teaANDanxiety said:

this is a bad year for South Asianist?

I think this year will be quite tough in general. Many programs did not take a cohort last year, but are not taking extra students this year to compensate, adding an extra layer of selectiveness to an already quite selective process. 

2 hours ago, dr. telkanuru said:

I think this year will be quite tough in general. Many programs did not take a cohort last year, but are not taking extra students this year to compensate, adding an extra layer of selectiveness to an already quite selective process. 

You're right. 

FWIW, if you are anxious about the job market, it is worth having a conversation with the current graduate students and departments. How were people getting TT jobs? What did their CVs look like? Most graduate students start off wanting to be a professor but that number declines toward the end as graduate students begin to learn the ropes of academia and university-level teaching and/or have unexpected changes in their personal lives that make going into academia untenable. Out of 19 people in my cohort, I can say that less than half of us are still in academia.  Everyone else either jumped ship during the PhD or decided to leave after getting the PhD (one became a professional indexer, one went into working for a non-profit public history education organization, etc.). Those of us who were lucky enough to stay in academia have vastly different CVs.  There is no surefire way to "game" the system. You put your best foot forward and hope for the best while keeping your eyes wide open. So many things, such as diversity considerations and internal departmental politics, are beyond your control, just like PhD admissions right now.

That' s all I can offer in the way of "solution" to concerns about the realities of the job market.

3 hours ago, teaANDanxiety said:

Hey! I do not know if Michigan conducts interviews... If anyone knows, please advise? Rejections are very, very hard... I've had several so far... I'm starting to think maybe this is a bad year for South Asianist? But you still have four options left! Here's hoping you receive some good news soon! Good luck to you! ?

Fellow South Asianist here; I think you're right about it being a bad year for our field. I got rejected at every school so far and I'm just waiting for one more. Thought I had a pretty good application, too...so it just really stinks right now and might be a sign of the cycle more than anything else. Best of luck to you!

Edited by metfan26

4 hours ago, metfan26 said:

Fellow South Asianist here; I think you're right about it being a bad year for our field. I got rejected at every school so far and I'm just waiting for one more. Thought I had a pretty good application, too...so it just really stinks right now and might be a sign of the cycle more than anything else. Best of luck to you!

Hello! Really sorry to hear about your rejections... They are really hard to deal with... I've receiving a slew of them. But I think, as you do that this is symptomatic of the cycle... Good luck to you too, friend. Let's also try and gather all South Asianists to help and support each other through the outcomes! 

9 hours ago, dr. telkanuru said:

This doubly applies to programs that did take students last year. From what I've heard, my department (heavily focusec on early America) is reducing its acceptances from 6 to 4. 

13 hours ago, Onthesamegalaxy said:

South Asianist here. I applied to 6 schools and so far got rejected in two. No acceptance or waiting. Did you apply to Michigan? Do they ask for interviews?

Hello! South Asianist here too. I applied to 7 schools. I have been published and have ridiculously good grades. I think my application was GOOD. I even received tons of good feedback from individual profs at depts for my SOP... still got rejected everywhere. Hard not to take it personally, but this app season does seem to be esp hard for SAsianists as I have not heard of any of my batchmates getting through either.

36 minutes ago, Pocoloco said:

Hello! South Asianist here too. I applied to 7 schools. I have been published and have ridiculously good grades. I think my application was GOOD. I even received tons of good feedback from individual profs at depts for my SOP... still got rejected everywhere. Hard not to take it personally, but this app season does seem to be esp hard for SAsianists as I have not heard of any of my batchmates getting through either.

Hi, I know that it is hard not to take rejections personally (I am at two this season - no acceptance yet). But try and treasure the good feedback from those profs. Now, THAT is what you should take personally :) 

I know that you know - schools make their decisions on such an aethereal plane, on the basis of so much that we cannot possibly know...But having good feedback from individual profs can give you the motivation and, yes, the reassurance that one sometimes needs. At least that's how I function. I had received such a nice feedback from a Princeton prof that I had allowed myself to hope...But, while my application has been rejected, his kind words are still there and I can conjure them up on my screen whenever I feel like it!

Sometimes one needs, not just some motivation, but also the awareness of being worthy of consideration, of being at least good enough to hold one's own in academia (otherwise, why would you even want to be part of it?). Most of the time we know our worth, but sometimes, especially when receiveing disappointing rejections, it's nice to have an external confirmation (not that we should get used to that, for I am told they don't come often once in academia ?).

I hope these words can be of help for all of us still hoping for some good news! Good luck, everyone.

2 minutes ago, kapuzenernie said:

@Akinokaze @thatlastmoment I'm not the person who posted this on the results portal, but the CUNY admissions committee reached out to me about three days ago to set up an interview for next week. I'm in the modern Euro field fwiw

Thank you. I don't really feel like reading the tea leaves on this one. Interviews are so random, I never know what they mean for those who don't get contacted. Good luck to you!

8 hours ago, Pocoloco said:

Hi! I'm very sorry to hear about your experience... For what it's worth, I have a similar profile: good grades, publications, enthusiastic rapport with PoIs, exciting project and I've had several crushing rejections... Although it's true that this cycle is difficult for obvious reasons, I also think SA peeps are having an exceptionally hard time! Here's hoping things work out for us! Good luck, friend! 

1 hour ago, timurdidnothingwrong said:

fellow south asianist- crushing rejections as well-- what are yours and @Pocoloco's fields? and what schools did you all apply to?

Hey, I'm PM'ing you the details... I also wanted to know if the South Asianists here would want a separate forum to discuss issues specific to us? Let me know via PM, we can set something up? 

Does anyone know if there's a spot where one can find when to expect their acceptance/rejection listed by school? I saw someone previously post at the beginning of the week implying they knew this week would be a big week of decisions, and I'm curious how they knew that. I've applied to BU GSAS and there is no place where it says when to expect a decision. 

25 minutes ago, LaVieilleDame said:

Does anyone know if there's a spot where one can find when to expect their acceptance/rejection listed by school? I saw someone previously post at the beginning of the week implying they knew this week would be a big week of decisions, and I'm curious how they knew that. I've applied to BU GSAS and there is no place where it says when to expect a decision. 

They were probably looking at the results section on this forum. I applied to BU as well, and judging by the last couple years we should expect to hear something from them around the 17th or 18th. 

4 minutes ago, jpc34 said:

They were probably looking at the results section on this forum. I applied to BU as well, and judging by the last couple years we should expect to hear something from them around the 17th or 18th. 

Thank you so much! Best of luck to you! 

On 2/9/2022 at 1:47 PM, dr. telkanuru said:

Are you really? 'Cause you have two accounts registered on this site, @anxiouslurker. Hope you don't get a bad rap on twitter.

Enough. That's one easy ban, and I'm in a grumpy mood. I'll turn this car around if I have to.

iBsdYAq.png

This is creepy. This site in general is terrible and feeds and profits from our terrible anxieties. Goodbye.