IELTS (ELP) score report deadlines | Urgent

Pratyusha Malla

Hey all!

I am applying for the MASc in Systems Design and Engineering at University of Waterloo for the next winter semester (January 2022). The application deadline is the 31st of May, 2021. Now, I have a couple questions about the proof of English language proficiency.

I have graduated from an institute where the language of instruction was English and it states so on the transcript (but English is not the native language in my country). On the University of Waterloo website, it's mentioned that a medium of instruction certificate from the graduating institute will not suffice. However, on the application portal, it is written that if the primary language of instruction of the graduating university is English, an ELP test isn't required. I am confused. Do I need an ELP test or not?

Secondly, if I have to give IELTS, the closest available test slot is on the 11th of May, 2021. The test centre has informed me that I would get the results 5 days after the test date, after which I would have to select universities to which to send my scores. From then, it would take another 15-20 days for the online test scores to reach the universities. So, even in the best case scenario, my score would reach the university just on time or a little late. Is it alright if they reach a week or two after the deadline? The rest of my application would be complete and submitted. Only the IELTS score would be a bit delayed. Is that okay? Have any of you been in a situation like this?

I’m also applying to McMaster University and have the same query regarding IELTS score deadlines.

One last thing, if I add two different programs to the same application, would I have to pay twice the application fee or just once?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sorry about the long post.

• 1 year later...

Hi Pratyusha,

I'm sorry to bring your old thread back. I'm just wondering whether you did indeed submit your IELTS results after the application deadline, and if so how this went for you. I'm working with an IELTS candidate at the moment that will likely not get their results ahead of their application deadline, so we are curious how your story ended.