MFA 2022 (Post-COVID Era) Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

52 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Hope you've been well! Are you still planning to apply for 2023? 

Definitely doing well and yes still applying in the fall of next year. Super excited as one of my friends enters Yale sculpture this fall. And how about you? Did you select a place finally? :)

edit: @SocialKonstruct , oops, thought I quoted you.

That's good to hear. That's awesome!! Big congrats to your friend!

Haha, I have not yet, unfortunately. I got some offers last year, but in the end it didn't work out at any of them for either financial or fit reasons. So I'm working on my list still and trying to both widen my net, but also look more critically at where I apply. I'm keeping my eye out for online open houses and info sessions because I missed a lot of them last year, and reading through past threads! 

Edited by Strawberrycat

I have a question, if anyone has insight. I'm a painter, but I do curatorial work in part to support myself financially. Do you think curatorial projects and/or published writing on my CV would be viewed (1) neutrally, (2) favorably, (3) unfavorably, when applying to painting MFA programs?

Edited by 123123435

5 hours ago, 123123435 said:

I have a question, if anyone has insight. I'm a painter, but I do curatorial work in part to support myself financially. Do you think curatorial projects and/or published writing on my CV would be viewed (1) neutrally, (2) favorably, (3) unfavorably, when applying to painting MFA programs?

I think both would likely be viewed favorably! If you can look at the websites of the current students or recent alumni from some places you're interested in, I'd check out their CVs for some insight too. 

21 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

edit: @SocialKonstruct , oops, thought I quoted you.

That's good to hear. That's awesome!! Big congrats to your friend!

Haha, I have not yet, unfortunately. I got some offers last year, but in the end it didn't work out at any of them for either financial or fit reasons. So I'm working on my list still and trying to both widen my net, but also look more critically at where I apply. I'm keeping my eye out for online open houses and info sessions because I missed a lot of them last year, and reading through past threads! 

Sweet and I wish you the very best in your search :). Should be quite a fun year now that hopefully folks are vaccinated and we are looking at a new environs. :)

10 hours ago, 123123435 said:

I do a ton of curation and those really help out in the MFA process. I would think.

Ah thanks yall. Well what's that old phrase, like "writing is writing is writing"? I was thinking the same would be true for painters. Painting is painting is painting. And curatorial would just be viewed as a distraction and not necessarily serious.

I am an artist-curator and actually I don't know how MFA panelists would view these curatorial projects. I curate about one to two in-person shows a year and serves as a great time killer for me and allows me to stay busy.

I decided to apply to Fall 2022 actually last month lol! Initially planned to apply for Fall 2023, but decided that things are getting "better" with vaccinations. Also helps that I hate my current job in STEM. Studied undergrad in biology and currently working in STEM for 6 years. Really cemented my calling to pursue art as grad school.

My list of schools are:

Yale
UCLA
VCU
Rutgers
UNT (State school)
SMU (State school)

I work in "painting". I do a lot of traditional paintings on paper in addition to digital work, installation, sculpture, and even jewelry. The paint/coatings of these objects interests me. 

And YES I am freaking out! Ahhhhh!

On 7/7/2021 at 6:50 AM, 123123435 said:

Ah thanks yall. Well what's that old phrase, like "writing is writing is writing"? I was thinking the same would be true for painters. Painting is painting is painting. And curatorial would just be viewed as a distraction and not necessarily serious.

Ah, yeah, I don't think that's really the attitude these days, at most places at least. I'm sure they want dedicated painters, but they also want well-rounded people who are actually involved in things instead of living in a vacuum. That's just what I've gathered. 

20 hours ago, Therealsriracha said:

I am an artist-curator and actually I don't know how MFA panelists would view these curatorial projects. I curate about one to two in-person shows a year and serves as a great time killer for me and allows me to stay busy.

I decided to apply to Fall 2022 actually last month lol! Initially planned to apply for Fall 2023, but decided that things are getting "better" with vaccinations. Also helps that I hate my current job in STEM. Studied undergrad in biology and currently working in STEM for 6 years. Really cemented my calling to pursue art as grad school.

My list of schools are:

Yale
UCLA
VCU
Rutgers
UNT (State school)
SMU (State school)

I work in "painting". I do a lot of traditional paintings on paper in addition to digital work, installation, sculpture, and even jewelry. The paint/coatings of these objects interests me. 

And YES I am freaking out! Ahhhhh!

I think they'd view your curatorial projects favorably as well. Welcome to the freak out, haha. I hope you can get in this year and leave your job! That seems like a solid list. 

@123123435

@SocialKonstruct

I'd actually be curious to hear about how all three of you got involved in curating? I've never done it, but I've always wondered how people jumped into that side of things. 

Thank you for the kind welcome @Strawberrycat!

Curating is super fun because it takes the stress off you producing the work and it is a way for me to build community. My focus is underrepresented artists ( often LGBTQIA+ and People of Color) and I prioritize those that are local to my city. I did my first curated show when I joined an artist run gallery in 2019 and there was an opportunity to mount a show in a Project Space room (the rule is that it could not be a solo show). So I curated a queer themed group show of local young artists. I got hooked into the world of curation. 

If you are interested in getting to know people outside of your circle, curation can be something that forces you to bring people together. Especially if you have a type of show that you want to see more of, curation fills that void/fantasy. Also focusing on our own art practice 24/7 is boring and it is nice to be someone else's cheerleader from time to time.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, Therealsriracha said:

Curating is super fun because it takes the stress off you producing the work and it is a way for me to build community. My focus is underrepresented artists ( often LGBTQIA+ and People of Color) and I prioritize those that are local to my city. I did my first curated show when I joined an artist run gallery in 2019 and there was an opportunity to mount a show in a Project Space room (the rule is that it could not be a solo show). So I curated a queer themed group show of local young artists. I got hooked into the world of curation. 

If you are interested in getting to know people outside of your circle, curation can be something that forces you to bring people together. Especially if you have a type of show that you want to see more of, curation fills that void/fantasy. Also focusing on our own art practice 24/7 is boring and it is nice to be someone else's cheerleader from time to time.

Oh nice, that sounds like a great thing to be involved in for a lot of different reasons. Thanks for sharing about it! 

On 7/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, Therealsriracha said:

I agree! Curating for a small commercial gallery here in downtown Salt Lake City has been a great way to make more friends in the art world and navigate some good adventures.

• 4 weeks later...

hi y'all!

long time snooper, first time poster. I'm very glad it's not too early to freak out, because I'm certainly freaking out! 

I finished my undergrad back in 2018, and now I'm finally feeling ready and excited to apply for an MFA program starting fall 2023. I'm primarily a printmaker, but I also do a lot of hand-drawn, stop-motion animation.

I'm only interested in applying to places where I have a strong (if not 100%) chance of being fully funded with a stipend. A friend of mine also advised me not to apply for any 2-year programs. He said that grad school is like a really awesome, paid residency, and for that reason, it's something I'll want to have for as long as possible. He also doesn't feel that 2 years is enough time to develop your work. Do you all have any thoughts on that? There are a few programs (like Stanford) that I was interested in and bummed to realize they only offer 2 years. 

I feel like I know very little about what my "statements of purpose" should be like, and I was wondering if anyone here has resources/suggestions concerning that. My biggest question is whether or not mentioning faculty/resources in other departments would be helpful/harmful. In my case, a lot of my recent work is inspired by Jewish manuscript, folk, and ceremonial art. I've spent a lot of time already identifying specific Jewish Studies faculty members and special collection material with similar research interests to me. While learning about these resources definitely makes me more interested in certain schools, I still feel unsure to what extent I should push this kind of cross-disciplinary interest in my statements of purpose. 

Here's a list of the schools I've been looking into so far:

Top 2: University of Wisconsin, Madison & University of Minnesota

UCLA

University of Arizona (does anyone know about the funding situation here?)

(maybe) UMass Amherst

Looking forward to learning more about you all. :)

Edited by Ancient Quail
typo

On 8/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, Ancient Quail said:

hi y'all!

long time snooper, first time poster. I'm very glad it's not too early to freak out, because I'm certainly freaking out! 

I finished my undergrad back in 2018, and now I'm finally feeling ready and excited to apply for an MFA program starting fall 2023. I'm primarily a printmaker, but I also do a lot of hand-drawn, stop-motion animation.

I'm only interested in applying to places where I have a strong (if not 100%) chance of being fully funded with a stipend. A friend of mine also advised me not to apply for any 2-year programs. He said that grad school is like a really awesome, paid residency, and for that reason, it's something I'll want to have for as long as possible. He also doesn't feel that 2 years is enough time to develop your work. Do you all have any thoughts on that? There are a few programs (like Stanford) that I was interested in and bummed to realize they only offer 2 years. 

I feel like I know very little about what my "statements of purpose" should be like, and I was wondering if anyone here has resources/suggestions concerning that. My biggest question is whether or not mentioning faculty/resources in other departments would be helpful/harmful. In my case, a lot of my recent work is inspired by Jewish manuscript, folk, and ceremonial art. I've spent a lot of time already identifying specific Jewish Studies faculty members and special collection material with similar research interests to me. While learning about these resources definitely makes me more interested in certain schools, I still feel unsure to what extent I should push this kind of cross-disciplinary interest in my statements of purpose. 

Here's a list of the schools I've been looking into so far:

Top 2: University of Wisconsin, Madison & University of Minnesota

UCLA

University of Arizona (does anyone know about the funding situation here?)

(maybe) UMass Amherst

Looking forward to learning more about you all. :)

Hey, welcome! 

I've heard the same opinion about 2 vs 3 year programs and I think it makes sense for sure, but if a program checks off all of your boxes and seems great besides that, I might not rule it out as an option, especially if it has good funding. There just aren't as many 3 year programs and it can be limiting in your search, since you're already limiting it on the basis of funding (which makes sense too). But I've heard that there is really good funding out there for printmakers in particular at certain schools. 

The statement requirements tend to vary a little bit at each school in what they ask for and in word count. I'd try to look at each app as soon as they're up or dig through their websites or outside forums. Some do a separate artist statement, statement of purpose, and personal statement, and some roll them all into one. For most of mine, I described briefly my background, what my work is about, my process, my goals, and why I felt the school was a good fit to reach those goals. 

I think that at research-based universities like UCLA and Stanford (I just know that those are and don't know anything about the other schools), it would be helpful to mention that! From what I've gathered, they're all for that kind cross-disciplinary work and research-based art practice. I would just make sure to also mention art department faculty that you are interested in working with as well. 

Good luck with everything! 

Indeed the best advice is to tailor each application separately for the school you are applying for and not to use a predetermined mold for each application. After all, the committee wants to know that you are engaged specifically with their program and not a generic applicant.

Hi all! It’s early, but time has been flying and I’m already nervous I won’t have everything ready for this round of apps. Gah does anyone else just never feel “ready” (esp with the uncertainty of everything)? Or like a perpetual imposter? I’m 28 and already feel like I’ve lost career growth opportunities due to COVID, so I feel like I just have to go for it! I applied to a few printmaking MFA programs in 2019 and was waitlisted at RISD, so they’re def a top contender, again.
I also wanted to gather opinions on whether accepting an opportunity as a university museum art preparator would benefit my application, at all? I left my job as a painting instructor a year ago to pursue a solo practice, but I’m considering this opportunity to gain a different facet of experience.

Just jumping on to say hey! I've been lurking this forum for a few years now but excitingly enough, I think I'm going to be applying this round. I graduated a few years ago with a BFA in Fiber and plan on continuing down that road. Good luck everyone, we're in this together!!! ❤️

20 hours ago, Brittany0Kay said:

Hi all! It’s early, but time has been flying and I’m already nervous I won’t have everything ready for this round of apps. Gah does anyone else just never feel “ready” (esp with the uncertainty of everything)? Or like a perpetual imposter? I’m 28 and already feel like I’ve lost career growth opportunities due to COVID, so I feel like I just have to go for it! I applied to a few printmaking MFA programs in 2019 and was waitlisted at RISD, so they’re def a top contender, again.
I also wanted to gather opinions on whether accepting an opportunity as a university museum art preparator would benefit my application, at all? I left my job as a painting instructor a year ago to pursue a solo practice, but I’m considering this opportunity to gain a different facet of experience.

Hey there! 

Absolutely on feeling unprepared and that imposter syndrome. :') Something that helped me, though, was hearing a UCLA MFA candidate talk about the imposter syndrome that they experienced too. It made me realize that even the people currently in top schools felt/still feel the same way that we're feeling and are just doing the work and getting through it just like the rest of us. 

I think it would likely benefit your application and would be great experience to have! If you already feel like you're worried about getting everything done in time, though, and are really set on finishing and applying this round, I'd probably take that into consideration if it might hinder you time-wise. But other than that, if you can manage it all, I think generally experience like that is a positive thing. 

Good luck with everything!

12 hours ago, grimmreaper said:

Just jumping on to say hey! I've been lurking this forum for a few years now but excitingly enough, I think I'm going to be applying this round. I graduated a few years ago with a BFA in Fiber and plan on continuing down that road. Good luck everyone, we're in this together!!! ❤️

Hey! Good luck too!! 

• 2 weeks later...

hey yall

I would strongly consider not wasting your $ on a bard mfa application. The program is an absolute disaster. Basically if they don't replace the new director it is likely that many faculty and students will leave the program. Sondra Perry has already left the program and will not return in any capacity. There are rumors that many other co-chairs will not return. You can always apply and see what happens but I wanted to give a warning. Sondra Perry is still listed on the website so it doesn't seem that the college has any interest in transparency.