MFA 2022 (Post-COVID Era) Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 9/20/2021 at 1:17 AM, kaflake said:

Just curious where people are applying and in what area of study?

I’m torn between printmaking and sculpture as I see printmaking more as a means to an end to developed sculptures or artist books.

top 5 schools are currently:

1.) Arizona State University 

2.) University of Wisconsin- Madison 

3.) University of Tennessee- Knoxville 

4.) Rutgers 

5.) kind of a toss up between a few schools: VCU/Tyler/Columbia/Carnegie Mellon

i really want a program where I feel comfortable, able to go at a slower pace and develop more conceptual work. 

Hi @kaflake! I'm a printmaker too! also -- I've been the brandeis several times because my ex went there, so it always makes me excited to spot alumni ? 

I'm interested in applying to wisconsin and tennesee, as well!

I was considering arizona state for a bit, but decided to apply to university of arizona (the tuscon one) instead. I was also considering Rutgers, VCU, and Tyler, but ruled them out because they're only 2-year programs.

Edited by AncientQuail

transcript question:

so, after getting my BS, I held 2 staff positions at SAIC and at bucknell university, which gave me the opportunity to take classes for free at both institutions. I took 1 class at SAIC, and 2 at bucknell. do y'all think it would be helpful for me to include these 2 additional transcripts in my grad applications, even though I wasn't a full-time student by any means? would they even accept these kinds of transcripts?

On 10/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, AncientQuail said:

transcript question:

so, after getting my BS, I held 2 staff positions at SAIC and at bucknell university, which gave me the opportunity to take classes for free at both institutions. I took 1 class at SAIC, and 2 at bucknell. do y'all think it would be helpful for me to include these 2 additional transcripts in my grad applications, even though I wasn't a full-time student by any means? would they even accept these kinds of transcripts?

I'm in the same boat-- I worked at The University of the Arts and took a few classes also. I didn't think it was worth mentioning, but maybe if it adds another dynamic to your portfolio it would be relevant 

21 hours ago, katfude5 said:

I'm in the same boat-- I worked at The University of the Arts and took a few classes also. I didn't think it was worth mentioning, but maybe if it adds another dynamic to your portfolio it would be relevant 

I would also think it would be good, because it shows that you're really interested in continuing your practice and taking advantage of the academic resources available to you, which is what grad school mfas are all about!

Oh how did you like university if the arts? I’m thinking about applying there too.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, katfude5 said:

7 hours ago, katfude5 said:

A bunch of people I’m close with went there for undergrad and have very few good things to say about them. If you’re a painter/sculptor/printmaker/drawer I would consider pafa instead 

I have a friend who attended the MFA program at PAFA and he enjoyed it for what it was. He has done pretty well in the Philadelphia area. (I used to live there a long time ago.)

On 9/28/2021 at 9:05 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

I would crop down to the image of the painting itself unless the painting has sculpture elements. Just my guess here.

I just took a random look at a huge gallery to see what they did and here is an example: https://www.pacegallery.com/exhibitions/robert-longo/

Looks like that they crop down to the edges of the work (here it's works on paper specifically).

On 10/6/2021 at 8:16 AM, AncientQuail said:

Hi @Brittany0Kay! happy to see another printmaker on here. I'm completely with you on the never ready, imposter syndrome feelings. taking up the museum job sounds like it would be beneficial to me. 

I'd love to know what kind of print you do, where you applied in 2019 and what you learned from the programs and experience if you're down to share!

Hey! Yes love seeing another printmaker, as well! So valuable to have community through this process, and I would love to hear your background, too!

As for me, I work primarily in long session, realistic, monotype/mono-print processes (I must like the constant edge of anxiety lol). My BFA is in drawing but I spent my last 2 years printmaking and it captured my heart! I also do some copperplate etching, but my biggest hurdle right now is not having access to a print studio/press. 

In 2019, I kind of went through the process to get a taste and see where I stood. Admittedly, my portfolio was not super cohesive, so I knew it was a long shot. I applied to SUNY New Paltz and RISD Printmaking. I was waitlisted at RISD, which was definitely a pleasant surprise, as I thought it was going to be a hard no. Through my research and experience, it seems like the most valuable asset to a portfolio/application is vision. Most programs seem to highlight candidates that conceptualize a clear direction, with their work and that has been the feedback I’ve received from colleagues and teachers, along the way. 

Hi everyone! I figured I would jump on here and introduce myself, because I have most of my apps in and just am waiting on letters of rec and finishing my portfolio on Slideroom. I'm applying to Syracuse, Bard, New York Academy, Calarts, University of Florida, University of South Florida, Laguna College of Art and Design, University of Georgia, Florida Atlantic University, and maybe Florida State. The focus of my practice is painting, but I am starting to do installations. My biggest reason for wanting to go to graduate school now is that I want to teach at a college level instead of teaching elementary school art. I have a lot of health problems and quit during covid so I wouldn't get sick and I also worked in a children's hospital doing art with the kids, but during Covid I was placed on leave for health reasons. The pandemic ruined the direction of my career so I would like to just go for it and get an MFA so I can maybe get more job opportunities. 

Does anyone know if Florida University's are competitive for MFA programs? I am a Florida native and licensed to teach here so I honestly don't want to move out of state for grad school, but I have a few options if I do. Also good luck to everyone applying!

2 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Hi everyone! I figured I would jump on here and introduce myself, because I have most of my apps in and just am waiting on letters of rec and finishing my portfolio on Slideroom. I'm applying to Syracuse, Bard, New York Academy, Calarts, University of Florida, University of South Florida, Laguna College of Art and Design, University of Georgia, Florida Atlantic University, and maybe Florida State. The focus of my practice is painting, but I am starting to do installations. My biggest reason for wanting to go to graduate school now is that I want to teach at a college level instead of teaching elementary school art. I have a lot of health problems and quit during covid so I wouldn't get sick and I also worked in a children's hospital doing art with the kids, but during Covid I was placed on leave for health reasons. The pandemic ruined the direction of my career so I would like to just go for it and get an MFA so I can maybe get more job opportunities. 

Does anyone know if Florida University's are competitive for MFA programs? I am a Florida native and licensed to teach here so I honestly don't want to move out of state for grad school, but I have a few options if I do. Also good luck to everyone applying!

Good job with your applications! :) I don't know much about the Florida MFA scene.

The Outwin artists Deborah Roberts and Adrian Octavius Walker speak with Adrienne Davis, William M. Van Cleve Professor of Law in the School of Law and Professor of Organizational Behavior & Leadership in the Olin Business School at WashU. Both artists use portraiture to depict the complexity of Black subjecthood, exploring themes of race, identity, beauty, and gender politics.

This program is free, but registration is required. Visit https://www.kemperartmuseum.wustl.edu/events/panel-discussions/14575 to register.

The situation at Bard has become worse. 6 co-chairs have stepped down since August. Currently, there are no co-chairs for painting (and it is unknown if any painting faculty will return), there are no co-chairs for film and video, there is only one co-chair for photo, there is only one co-chair for writing. The remaining co-chairs currently do not have contracts. Many students are considering withdrawing or taking leave or applying elsewhere. Some faculty are recommending that students apply elsewhere. This program is the faculty and students. 

image.thumb.png.c0d7872fee14fd1880a9f981ba9f97b2.png

8 hours ago, bardmfaisadisaster said:

The situation at Bard has become worse. 6 co-chairs have stepped down since August. Currently, there are no co-chairs for painting (and it is unknown if any painting faculty will return), there are no co-chairs for film and video, there is only one co-chair for photo, there is only one co-chair for writing. The remaining co-chairs currently do not have contracts. Many students are considering withdrawing or taking leave or applying elsewhere. Some faculty are recommending that students apply elsewhere. This program is the faculty and students. 

image.thumb.png.c0d7872fee14fd1880a9f981ba9f97b2.png

That sounds like a very unstable situation :(. Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! 

I’m a current grad at University of South Florida in Tampa. It’s a very demanding program with a lot of resources, support and exceptional faculty. It’s also a research university, so they are looking for applicants that are planning on pursuing careers as working artists and the program is designed to help you establish that path. It’s a three year program with a full tuition waiver and generous stipend including an optional assistantship. The school also has an internationally recognized atelier and residency that brings through some great visiting artists and also participates in a fair at Miami art week each year. 
The cohort is typically 6-10 grads across all disciplines, and is highly competitive. Tampa is a strange city, but it is livable and has a great little art community. 

Good luck with applications! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, ZellFin said:

Hello everyone! 

I’m a current grad at University of South Florida in Tampa. It’s a very demanding program with a lot of resources, support and exceptional faculty. It’s also a research university, so they are looking for applicants that are planning on pursuing careers as working artists and the program is designed to help you establish that path. It’s a three year program with a full tuition waiver and generous stipend including an optional assistantship. The school also has an internationally recognized atelier and residency that brings through some great visiting artists and also participates in a fair at Miami art week each year. 
The cohort is typically 6-10 grads across all disciplines, and is highly competitive. Tampa is a strange city, but it is livable and has a great little art community. 

Good luck with applications! 

Sweet and thanks for the info! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone knows something about the acceptance criteria for the Concordia MFA in painting it would be much appreciated. I come from a highly classical background in art and the classical and contemporary communities tend to be incredibly divided so I feel like I’m out of the loop and am looking to grow in a different direction as an artist. Any information would be nice to hear. Thanks! ✌?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 3:18 PM, MFA-Painting-2022 said:

If anyone knows something about the acceptance criteria for the Concordia MFA in painting it would be much appreciated. I come from a highly classical background in art and the classical and contemporary communities tend to be incredibly divided so I feel like I’m out of the loop and am looking to grow in a different direction as an artist. Any information would be nice to hear. Thanks! ✌?

Any updates? :)

• 3 weeks later...