Stanford GSE 2022

Hello, everyone! ? Just starting a new thread for Stanford GSE applications for Fall 2022. Anyone else applying for PhD? As for me, I’m interested in SHIPS-ICE.

The GRE situation is quite interesting. I actually want to submit my GRE score, but the website shows both that my program has an option to submit scores and also that it’s not required (which would mean that I wouldn’t be able to submit it). It seems like a possible error on the website. Anyone else know about that?

Anyway, hope to talk here with other people and get through this application cycle together!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I'm interested in applying the MS in computational social science program, but all my relevant research experiences are from at least 1 year ago and I don't think I have plenty of professinoal connections to write a good recommendation letterl

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to apply for their Masers in EDS program. I wonder if they prefer candidates with data science background rather than work experience in education?

• 4 months later...

Any STEP applicants here? I applied to STEP Elementary, but I feel a little daunted because of the extremely small cohort numbers. Guess it's just a matter of waiting now? I actually have a great GRE score, but I felt it would have been inappropriate to attach the unofficial score report in the extra attachments section. Wish they would have let applicants choose whether they wanted to submit GRE or not...

Edited by kkslider

Hi all,

Has anyone of you received an interview invitation from Prof. Silverman? If yes, I should know that I didn't make it. :)

Also granted that you made it into the potential Phd pile, what happens if your proposed supervisor doesn't want to supervise you, do they pass your application to other professors who have similar research interests to yours or are you automatically rejected?

Thank you!

On 1/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, Miss Evidence said:

Anyone here applied to the SHIPS PhD program? Any news on interviews? Haven't heard anything and this is killing me...

This is my sceond time appying to SHIPS/RILE. Haven't heard back yet. Going by my experience from last year, SHIPS notices come in much later than LSTD. 

3 hours ago, notconfident said:

Hi all,

Has anyone of you received an interview invitation from Prof. Silverman? If yes, I should know that I didn't make it. :)

Also granted that you made it into the potential Phd pile, what happens if your proposed supervisor doesn't want to supervise you, do they pass your application to other professors who have similar research interests to yours or are you automatically rejected?

Thank you!

I think it depends on the university. How many PoIs did you list in your application? I listed two of them in my SoP, just in case one of them wasn't available. I can;t recollect if the Stanford application portal had an option to list a second PoI, but I remember some other universities did. 
Last year, the professor whom I wanted to work with at the Uni of Toronto was going to go on a sabbatical and messaged me asking if I would like for my application to be passed onto another professor working in a similar field.

1 hour ago, BadChadGrad said:

NotConfident,

There was a DAPS applicant in the result section who had an interview with their POI, confirmed to be Rebecca Silverman. Did you list more than POI in your SOP?

Keep your head held high! That's all we can do. ?

Hello Brad, thank you for responding. No, I only listed Prof. Silverman :( I guess, I no longer have a chance. Plus, my Stanford portal still shows 'Submitted' and not 'Complete'.

1 hour ago, notconfident said:

Hello Brad, thank you for responding. No, I only listed Prof. Silverman :( I guess, I no longer have a chance. Plus, my Stanford portal still shows 'Submitted' and not 'Complete'.

Does a status of 'submitted' mean something different, or worse than 'complete'? 

6 minutes ago, BadChadGrad said:

Does a status of 'submitted' mean something different, or worse than 'complete'? 

I'm not sure, but their website says it will take 2-3 weeks for the status "complete" to appear.. If they have already submitted applications to faculty and my status is still in "submitted", I'm guessing I am one of those who didn't make it through the initial screening. Maybe they quickly scan through profiles (forget to mark complete for those who're not "outstanding") while the others they approve of are in the full faculty review. Hehehe.

I guess, I will have to try next time.

4 hours ago, BadChadGrad said:

So, my status for last year's application still says "submitted" (but in a green box), despite having received a beautifully crafted rejection letter. ? I don't recall seeing it change to "complete". Perhaps, "complete" is for applicants who need to turn in external scores or official transcipts? 

7 hours ago, ravenguardia said:

So, my status for last year's application still says "submitted" (but in a green box), despite having received a beautifully crafted rejection letter. ? I don't recall seeing it change to "complete". Perhaps, "complete" is for applicants who need to turn in external scores or official transcipts? 

Did you click "View Checklist" and see the status there? I submitted mine before the deadline and it says incomplete. They said they will update this manually as they get to the applications (by February 1).

9 hours ago, kkslider said:

Did you click "View Checklist" and see the status there? I submitted mine before the deadline and it says incomplete. They said they will update this manually as they get to the applications (by February 1).

This is interesting...

I viewed my checklist and I notice that my application status does in fact read "complete." However, I do want to mention that I did not check my status prior to this, so I am unsure if it changed from one category or another.

There is no detail of an awaited document on my end.

1 hour ago, Miss Evidence said:

I just received an email from my POI (Prof. Eric Bettinger) requesting a quick talk. Before that, the status of my application was "submitted". I am running for the PhD (SHIPS) in Education Data Science.

? ? ? Congratulations on the interview invite, MissEvidence!!! I just want to clarify, do you mean the status is now marked as "Complete"? There's some hope for me! yaaay! ?

Edited by notconfident

2 minutes ago, notconfident said:

Congratulations on the interview invite. I just want to clarify, do you mean the status is now marked "Complete"? There's some hope for me! yaaay!

Just checked now and my status is still marked as "submitted". I really don't think the "submitted" or "complete" status are indicators of admission chances. I would guess they are more of an administrative thing concerning the general requirements check list. Don't lose your hopes! Good luck!

1 hour ago, Miss Evidence said:

I just received an email from my POI (Prof. Eric Bettinger) requesting a quick talk. Before that, the status of my application was "submitted". I am running for the PhD (SHIPS) in Education Data Science.

Miss Evidence, bravo and is it also you who posted on the results page?

Education (SHIPS): Data Science, Stanford University Received an email from my POI requesting a quick talk.

14 hours ago, kkslider said:

Ok, yes. It does say "complete" under view checklist. I see that all my applications on applyweb show "Submit" in a greenbox (since there are a couple of other unis that also use the collegenet/applyweb portal for admissions) but the Stanford application says "Submit" in a yellow box. Does anyone else have a "submit" highlighted in yellow?
And woohoo, @Miss Evidence congratulations on the interview invite!