Trudeau 2022

Adelaide9216

I am working on my Vanier application right now, but I would like to apply for Trudeau, too! Though I don't know so much about the required documents so far! (I just checked the eligibility and its approximate deadline)
I saw that you @Adelaide9216 won the Vanier before! Congrats! In comparison, how much work do you think the Trudeau application need?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it seems like I'm not eligible because I'm a third-year PhD Candidate. It appears that this criteria has changed, it says only accepted, first or second year PhD students

Edited by Adelaide9216

Sorry to hear that! Today, my application for Vanier 2022, in the final stage of the university's internal selection, was rejected and I am soooooooo sad and disappointed! I had put lots of time for my application since June! I probably shouldn't expect Trudeau either, but maybe I apply for it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 3:54 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Ugh! Sadly, this does not surprise me. I made it to the first round of interviews last year and interviewed a lot of past winners and finalists about their experiences and heard similar stories prior to the interview. I basically heard that the foundation wants people who they can put on posters and make them appear in a very specific way. I did not want to believe it, but when I got to the interview, I was forced to face reality. I thought I had made it to the interview process because of my accomplishments but when I got into the group interview, it became very clear that I was there to represent the “rags to riches” student archetype. In all honesty, I felt kind of used and still feel uncomfortable thinking about the interview. I knew I was there to provide the trauma story. Me, along with three or four other students in the zoom room. It felt like I was competing for the token trauma survivor role, which makes things really uncomfortable for a lot of reasons but the main being I try to lift people up who have experienced what I have been through, but it seemed like the interview process forced people of similar backgrounds to fight for the same tokenistic role. I know this happens elsewhere but it is still disheartening to say the least.  I agree with the article in that the foundation creates a hostile environment for marginalized people. In my multi-hour long interview, I definitely felt the tension between wanting to be genuine and wanting to give the foundation what I knew they likely wanted. 

12 hours ago, Polisci_2016 said:

Ugh! Sadly, this does not surprise me. I made it to the first round of interviews last year and interviewed a lot of past winners and finalists about their experiences and heard similar stories prior to the interview. I basically heard that the foundation wants people who they can put on posters and make them appear in a very specific way. I did not want to believe it, but when I got to the interview, I was forced to face reality. I thought I had made it to the interview process because of my accomplishments but when I got into the group interview, it became very clear that I was there to represent the “rags to riches” student archetype. In all honesty, I felt kind of used and still feel uncomfortable thinking about the interview. I knew I was there to provide the trauma story. Me, along with three or four other students in the zoom room. It felt like I was competing for the token trauma survivor role, which makes things really uncomfortable for a lot of reasons but the main being I try to lift people up who have experienced what I have been through, but it seemed like the interview process forced people of similar backgrounds to fight for the same tokenistic role. I know this happens elsewhere but it is still disheartening to say the least.  I agree with the article in that the foundation creates a hostile environment for marginalized people. In my multi-hour long interview, I definitely felt the tension between wanting to be genuine and wanting to give the foundation what I knew they likely wanted. 

I am hesitant to be overly pessimistic here, but this seems to be a larger trend in academia. While our personal experiences, perspectives and challenges should of course frame the context of our applications for these sorts of things, it's a real bummer that many of these contests have been essentially reduced only to these factors.

Edited by MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec

On 11/12/2021 at 10:55 PM, Polisci_2016 said:

Oh wow. I'm sorry you had such a negative experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...