Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hey, hey!

I guess it's more so official, now, but I'm most definitely a finalist now! The email confirmed it all!

I'm applying for ETA! Where do you propose to conduct your research?

-D

Hey Damis!

I'm planning on doing my research in Bonn with the university there. How about you? Do you state your preferences for where you'd like to do your ETA?

And congrats!

Hello all! First time poster. I applied for a Fulbright ETA to South Korea and received my email tonight confirming that my application has been recommended by IIE to the agency abroad. Just curious if all you who said that you are "finalists" received this email. Does that make me a "finalist" or ( I think) do I still have to wait until April/May to find out for sure if I receive the grant?

Hello all! First time poster. I applied for a Fulbright ETA to South Korea and received my email tonight confirming that my application has been recommended by IIE to the agency abroad. Just curious if all you who said that you are "finalists" received this email. Does that make me a "finalist" or ( I think) do I still have to wait until April/May to find out for sure if I receive the grant?

Hi myacu! Welcome to our forum!

Yes, we are all finalists (including yourself) and have to wait until the last round. It's weird to consider ourselves "finalists', I guess, but it is the "final round", even though there were only like two?

But congratulations! Now we wait, again, albeit for a slightly shorter (hopefully) time period for the final results!

Hi myacu! Welcome to our forum!

Yes, we are all finalists (including yourself) and have to wait until the last round. It's weird to consider ourselves "finalists', I guess, but it is the "final round", even though there were only like two?

But congratulations! Now we wait, again, albeit for a slightly shorter (hopefully) time period for the final results!

Cheers to that! Good luck to everyone!

Finalist for Syria! Now the REAL waiting begins. :)

Any other "retreads" here? This is my second time around (Finalist for Egypt last time, waited until end of June to get a rejection).

I'm a retread, I guess, though this is the first time I've heard the term. I'm a finalist for the UK for the second year in a row. I hope this year I make it to the next round of cuts (UK has an extra round-- they interview some but not all finalists and then select from the people they interview). Last year, I didn't get an interview. I'll know in February, I think, about whether or not I am selected for an interview.

Edited by Crumpets

hi people

congrats to those who are finalists...

here's my scene: finalist for fulbright full grant to germany last year. down right rejected today for the current competition. im a visual artist.

im a bit boggled by all of it. in any case, wondering if anyone else - especially artists - have applied for both fulbright and DAAD? stduy scholarship for artists? i know that notification comes in the spring (i applied last year for that, too)

just curious if anyone has been flat rejected from fulbright and ended up receiving a DAAD?

-marc

hi people

here's my scene: finalist for fulbright full grant to germany last year. down right rejected today for the current competition. im a visual artist.

im a bit boggled by all of it. in any case, wondering if anyone else - especially artists - have applied for both fulbright and DAAD? stduy scholarship for artists? i know that notification comes in the spring (i applied last year for that, too)

just curious if anyone has been flat rejected from fulbright and ended up receiving a DAAD?

-marc

I know two people from Germany who were rejected by Fulbright but later received a DAAD (to the U.S.)

Edited by nessapsych

hi people

-marc

Hi Marc,

Although I'm a finalist for Fulbright, it doesn't mean I'm gonna get it. I also applied for a DAAD grant. However, my field is engineering, so I'm pretty sure we're on opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to research topic/stuff. BUT I haven't heard from DAAD. I'm just gonna take whatever comes to me. Do you know which stipend is greater? (Not that money is important .. but it is ... since I do need to sleep in a bed and eat food ...)

Julian

Hey all, I was notified that I am a ETA finalist for Ecuador. Has anyone seen past release dates for Ecuador's winners? What about contacting the Fulbright committee in DC, are they helpful in disseminating information about competitions?

Kudos to all finalists!

The person I wanted to work with at Helsinki is retired and I had a connection to a top person who happened to be at Tampere, so there I am. Why Helsinki?

My project involves artists around the country but it makes the most sense for me to be based in Helsinki (I'm an art historian).

Any other finalists for Germany?

Yep! got the email. I'm in the middle of a big project 6am - midnight every day so I didn't see the email till late last night.

Hey all, I was notified that I am a ETA finalist for Ecuador. Has anyone seen past release dates for Ecuador's winners? What about contacting the Fulbright committee in DC, are they helpful in disseminating information about competitions?

Kudos to all finalists!

Congrats to you and everyone else!

Here's the link from last year's Fulbright discussion where everyone listed their country and when they received a letter/package in the mail telling them whether they were rejected or accepted:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=taWW8xiKve1Tm6Ow6bHdhYA#gid=0

It's a very good list. I'm planning on setting one up around early March, since I think that is when the Germany peeps started receiving notifications. It also seems that regular envelopes were either rejections or alternates, while large manila envelopes were a good sign! So check your mail carefully!

Im not bummed out as I thought I would be. I am actually relieved that I got rejected now. Being rejected in April sucks. At least now, I can plan appropriately. Like my momma says "Hey, at least you tried!"

I too got the rejection email last night and have the exact same reasoning as you... honestly it was a bit of a downer for about a minute after first reading it, but I felt better knowing now I don't have to sit around in limbo trying to figure out if I should make other plans in the case of a final round rejection. Everything tends to work out for the best so I'm sure some other great opportunities will come our way :). Good luck to you with your future plans as well as to everyone who was recommended for the next round!

Yep! got the email. I'm in the middle of a big project 6am - midnight every day so I didn't see the email till late last night.

Where do you plan on conducting your research in Germany?

I got an affiliation with Uni Bonn and am totally pumped for possibly living there for about year! I've been hesitant all this while, but have realized I may never have this chance ever. So might as well do it. What's that saying ... "you only live once"?

Hi Marc,

Although I'm a finalist for Fulbright, it doesn't mean I'm gonna get it. I also applied for a DAAD grant. However, my field is engineering, so I'm pretty sure we're on opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to research topic/stuff. BUT I haven't heard from DAAD. I'm just gonna take whatever comes to me. Do you know which stipend is greater? (Not that money is important .. but it is ... since I do need to sleep in a bed and eat food ...)

Julian

hey julian - DAAD notifies in the spring. and im about 98% sure that a fulbright research grant is the same amount as a DAAD.

g'luck...!

marc